User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost to replace axles on 2800BH

Hey all... new to the forum! We bought a 2018 2800BH in late 2018 used (seller took one trip in it and decided it wasn’t for them). We’ve always had issues with sway when towing, even though we’ve had the setup reviewed by the dealer, etc. and we’ve also noticed uneven tire wear so something seems amiss. We just took it in for service and asked them to look at this and also the leafsprings on passenger side (they were flattened out for some reason).

I just heard back from the dealer and they said 3 of the 4 spindles were bent and recommended the following:

Replace both axles, morryde cre300(upgrade suspension to OEM), leaf springs,U-Bolts, and shackle kit is $4236.89 (parts,labor, freight included) tax extra.

Couple questions:

1) Do you think bent spindles could be source of my sway issues? Seems like the uneven tire wear for sure would be caused by this?
    2) This price seems high to me! Should I look for another place to do this work or is this the going rate? (We had to put a new transmission in our Yukon on the last camping trip, this hobby is getting expensive!)

Thanks for any insight or suggestions you all may have on this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealmkc View Post
    Hey all... new to the forum! We bought a 2018 2800BH in late 2018 used (seller took one trip in it and decided it wasn’t for them). We’ve always had issues with sway when towing, even though we’ve had the setup reviewed by the dealer, etc. and we’ve also noticed uneven tire wear so something seems amiss. We just took it in for service and asked them to look at this and also the leafsprings on passenger side (they were flattened out for some reason).

I just heard back from the dealer and they said 3 of the 4 spindles were bent and recommended the following:

Replace both axles, morryde cre300(upgrade suspension to OEM), leaf springs,U-Bolts, and shackle kit is $4236.89 (parts,labor, freight included) tax extra.

Couple questions:

1) Do you think bent spindles could be source of my sway issues? Seems like the uneven tire wear for sure would be caused by this?
    2) This price seems high to me! Should I look for another place to do this work or is this the going rate? (We had to put a new transmission in our Yukon on the last camping trip, this hobby is getting expensive!)

Those would be nice upgrades but not all of them are necessary, if you're pulling that trailer with the Yukon you mentioned I would consider a stiffer and greater payload tow vehicle.

Also consider a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) to make sure that your tires are at the correct pressure all the time.
    Last edited by J Maguire; 03-21-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple questions:

Poor loading (Inadequate tongue weight) causes sway

Yes of course it is expensive. Where they make their money
    You can do it your self. Get the parts from e trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost to replace axles on 2800BH

Others would know because I know nothing about it but wouldn’t a timbren axle less swap be cheaper?

Or a torsion system

They appear to be 800 a kit. Unsure what else would be needed or if they even work but eliminating axles would be nice

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-21-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the suspension damage and behavior you describe, you are most likely camping overloaded.

Are you handy or have handy friends? If so, this is totally DIY. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead buying from etrailer because you can go to a brick and mortar trailer shop and order everything up for less money and not get hosed on shipping because of their regular deliveries from the manufacturers. Your axle label contains everything they need to get an identical replacement. You may need to take a hard look at your weights, gear, and packing to see if upgraded suspension should be considered.

It's a lot of labor, and that's where much of the cost lies.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you do the upgrade yourself or not, you mentioned uneven tire wear, you should replace your tires. I replaced all the leaf springs on my 399, did the CRE3000 and HD shackles myself. It's really not hard at all if you are handy and have the right tools. I did it when we lived in our 399 and did the work at a campground.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Geotex, totally DIY if you are a little bit mechanically handy.
    I replaced the axles and added a wet bolt kit (similar to CRE3000) on my previous trailer (went with Dexter EZ lube 6K axles). Total cost 1200 bucks. In 2012. Solo. Getting the axles moved under the trailer would be much easier if you have a buddy help you. I was crunched for time when I did it and didn't want to wait for others to get off work so I did it myself with a rolling floor jack. I'm thinking you could pull it off for 2K?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    if you're pulling that trailer with the Yukon you mentioned I would consider a stiffer and greater payload tow vehicle.
    I'm very interested in this comment actually... When we lost our transmission last year, we rented a Chevy 1500 Truck and it seemed to tow much better than the Yukon in terms of sway. I was trying to figure out if the difference was the stiffer suspension... I assumed so, but didn't understand the reasons behind it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in this comment actually... When we lost our transmission last year, we rented a Chevy 1500 Truck and it seemed to tow much better than the Yukon in terms of sway. I was trying to figure out if the difference was the stiffer suspension... I assumed so, but didn't understand the reasons behind it.
    You didn't mention the year of the Yukon, regardless, I'm assuming shorter wheel base and a softer rear end than an appropriate tow vehicle. Even the difference in towing for me was substantial moving from the F150 to the F250 in regards to control. You're pulling a lot of trailer for that truck. Yukon suspensions are made to keep passengers comfortable in regards to suspension but that trade off is felt when towing. My F250 for instance is stiff and less passenger friendly than the F150 but more capable and confident because of this stiffness. An older Yukon would be less capable than a newer one as well. Trucks meant for towing have heavier steering components, bigger brakes, etc.

You may need a few components cleaned up under the trailer but that tow vehicle is likely being controlled by that trailer in many circumstances.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to GD but I seem to recall some posts where they had issues with the 2800BH axles and made a manufacturing change. Even though you are out of warrantee I would check with GD and see if they will help cover this.

If I had to replace axles I would see if I could switch to torsion axles instead of spring axles. My current TT has them and seems to be much smother then the prior TT based on content shifting.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast