Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonneau Cover

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonneau Cover

We are adding an auxiliary fuel tank to bed of our Ram 3500.
    After the installation I want to install a cover to keep bed dry and more secure.
    The cover must be able to roll / fold to refill aux fuel tank.
    I would appreciate any advice. We have a bumper pull not a 5th wheel.
    Bob A.
    Last edited by attaboy; 01-20-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Extang Trifecta for our 2500 Ram.
    High quality cover. Sturdy ribs
    Super easy install with great lockdowns
    Very versatile .

I highly recommend

I suggest horse mat for your aux fuel tank. We have one for our Westinghouse Igen 4500 duel fuel generator
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2018 RAM 3500 and aux tank I installed myself which I used on 2007 Chevy. I have the roll up tonneau cover on both trucks pulling 5th wheel. The roll up cover rolls up over tank so I can use all the bed and when the cover is closed can open tail gate for access to bed. I got cover for RAM at etrailer. They had a selection based on price and quality. As I recall I purchased middle of road price and happy with it. Plus I later found exact cover from some other store and etrailer has price guarantee so they credited me the difference no hassle.
    What tank did you get and how are you connecting it to truck tank? Just for your info..I gravity feed using the valve connected to aux tank and a “T” that comes with tank or buy separate for the RAM. The installation instructions have you cutting the metal pipe near the fuel fill. I did not like cutting metal shavings get in tank etc. I followed the fuel line back to tank under bed and found a hose, cut that and put in the”T” little difficult to reach but better than cutting metal tube. The aux tank I have installed is 80 gal and just fits RAM..it fit better in Chevy bed. I also have brand new 45gal that I am going to sell. I got the 45gal before I realized the 80 will fit. I see you are in north Ga I am in Chattanooga.
    Let me know how it works out.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Undercover Flex on my F250 that I'm pretty happy with. On my previous pickup, I had an Extang Trifecta that I was happy with, though I decided when we got the new truck that I'd rather have a hard top cover this time around. If I were doing it again, I'd get the Flex again. Nicely made, customer service is great, and it fits very precisely.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    After the installation I want to install a cover to keep bed dry and more secure.
    Bob A.
    Hi Bob, I went with the Access Original tonneau cover. I had one on my 2015 RAM, my 2017 RAM, my 2013 F150, my 2018 RAM and now on the 2019 RAM. As you can tell, I am quite happy with it. Access makes many covers. I chose the Original because it gives me the highest bed clearance. I think 1 1/2" above the bed rails. That extra clearance came in handy when carrying lots of tools that I wanted to secure under a cover. I don't know what aux tank you are planning on but, some of the tanks/filler caps I have been looking at are slightly taller than the bed rails. Best of luck and best wishes.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with a retractable tonneau cover after my first trifold. I chose Retrax and am very happy with it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    attaboy, I have had three tonneau covers on 4 different superduty's. My latest is from American Tonneau and is a hard cover trifold that rests on the bed rails. Cam lock latches in the back and screw down in the front (from underneath). My auxiliary tank is a 41gallon DOT approved gravity flow diesel tank. Total height is 19 inches which allows for filler neck and cap to fit nicely under tonneau. Access is when trifold is in folded position and the front left lock is slightly loose, then I simply pull the corner back to expose the filler neck. Whatever brand of tank you purchase absolutely make sure it is DOT approved for your intended purpose. Do a site search and you will find quite a few discussions on auxiliary tank installation which may provide you with guidance. Safe travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Bob A.
    I did not go the tonnaeu cover route. My challenge was finding a cover for a long bed (8') that I could put racks on for bikes and kayaks. I decided on the Diamondback SE truck cover. It is all aluminum and has been everything I hoped for. If you don't need something that folds/rolls back to the cab I would encourage you to look at the Diamondback Truck Cover. It has worked great for my requirements. They also have different configurations on how the tops can open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BedCoverCollage.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	31674
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys
    I appreciate the very informative information.
    Y'all mentioned alternatives I was not aware of.
    Rainy, cold day in Georgia. Perfect weather for internet work to check out the information you provided.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

We have a 2019 Ram 2500 and went with the Gator HR1. It is a hard roll up but is covered to look like a soft cover. When tailgate is closed everything is secured. Rolls up behind the cab when needed or comes off with the pull of a lever. Realtruck had the best price and free shipping if you watch the sales.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast