User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner Safety Questions

I have some basic beginner safety questions, I've looked at the forum, and researched, but I always like to ask myself to get input in one place from many people.

Here are my questions:

What's the fastest you recommend going? Some highways allow for faster speeds but I general don't like going over 55MPH, am I paranoid?
    Where can I get my trailer/truck weighed in the Southern Jersey/DE/South East Pa area? What's your process?
    What should I be checking before every trip on the outside of the trailer truck?
    Do you recommend TT wheel air monitors? My ford truck as an option for them.

I think that's all I can think of for now. A little backstory, I've never towed before, anything, and it's just me looking up youtube and using this forum for all the help I can get as nobody in my family, or friends has towed a TT either that I can bug constantly with my questions.

Thanks!
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I have some basic beginner safety questions, I've looked at the forum, and researched, but I always like to ask myself to get input in one place from many people.

Here are my questions:

What's the fastest you recommend going? Some highways allow for faster speeds but I general don't like going over 55MPH, am I paranoid?
    Where can I get my trailer/truck weighed in the Southern Jersey/DE/South East Pa area? What's your process?
    What should I be checking before every trip on the outside of the trailer truck?

I think that's all I can think of for now. A little backstory, I've never towed before, anything, and it's just me looking up youtube and using this forum for all the help I can get as nobody in my family, or friends has towed a TT either that I can bug constantly with my questions.

Thanks!

Speed depends on numerous factors such as:
    Road conditions (wet,smooth,etc)
    Uphill or downhill
    Traffic or construction
    Speed rating of your tires

Use your judgement on what's safe and leave extra room for stopping

I tend to go the speed limit, even if it is 70mph, I have been on an 80mph road, but i stayed closer to 70mph

Look for any major truck stop with a CAT certified scale to weigh your rig. I think the current rate is about $11 for a weigh. Weigh the full truck and trailer and then weigh the truck alone, then you can evaluate your numbers.

Check before trip:
    Tire pressures, lug nut torque
    Proper trailer hook-up and trailer brake operation
    All lights work
    Walk around trailer make sure everything is stowed (windows, stairs, etc.)
    Wheel chocks removed

A lot of people reccomend TPMS for tires, my truck doesnt have them and neither does my trailer. I just check them manually.

If you're new to towing, best thing to do is goto an empty parking lot and practice, either setup cones or use lines that are already there. Can also goto an emptyish truck stop and practice parking in those spots to simulate a campsite. Hint for backing up, place hand on bottom of steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my questions:

Thanks!
    We typically travel at around 60 mph. That's our comfort zone. You're not paranoid, if you're traveling at a rate of speed (not over the limit) that's comfortable for you. As noted, allow extra space in front for stopping.

We belong to Escapees, they have a couple of places you can get weighed. Before that we used a truck scale just off the freeway not far from our storage place. I know that doesn't help for the areas you're asking about, but the Escapees weigh-in was the best.

Check everything. That said, we both do a walk around after hitching up, checking for closed/locked storage doors, closed/locked windows, tires, axles, door closed/locked, ladder gets a shake as we walk by. Recheck that hitch is closed.

Yes, on the tire monitors. It's just an extra measure of safety. Sometimes they can save your rig from major damage due to flat tires.

Regarding "I've never towed before, anything...." I'd suggest you look into an RV driving instructor. We both did it and it's very helpful getting a newbie set up for towing.

More questions? Ask away.....

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We typically travel at around 60 mph. That's our comfort zone. You're not paranoid, if you're traveling at a rate of speed (not over the limit) that's comfortable for you. As noted, allow extra space in front for stopping.

We belong to Escapees, they have a couple of places you can get weighed. Before that we used a truck scale just off the freeway not far from our storage place. I know that doesn't help for the areas you're asking about, but the Escapees weigh-in was the best.

Check everything. That said, we both do a walk around after hitching up, checking for closed/locked storage doors, closed/locked windows, tires, axles, door closed/locked, ladder gets a shake as we walk by. Recheck that hitch is closed.

Yes, on the tire monitors. It's just an extra measure of safety. Sometimes they can save your rig from major damage due to flat tires.

Regarding "I've never towed before, anything...." I'd suggest you look into an RV driving instructor. We both did it and it's very helpful getting a newbie set up for towing.

More questions? Ask away.....
    I have a Ford F350, I think it has a TPMS in the dash. I think I'll call ford and ask them what I need to get the TT linked to it and what system I should get.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ford F350, I think it has a TPMS in the dash. I think I'll call ford and ask them what I need to get the TT linked to it and what system I should get.
    We have a separate TPMS for the 5th wheel. Not tied into the one in the truck. The TPMS on the truck isn't all that great, it will tell us when a tire is losing pressure, but not which tire. We're going to get additional TPMS monitors (like the ones on the 5th wheel) to put on the truck. The display for our current system has room for truck tires to be included. I don't recall the brand TPMS we got, but we bought it at a Good Sam Rally in Phoenix a couple of years ago. I'll ask my husband what brand.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my questions:

Thanks!
    Good advice by others.

As for weighing use this to find CAT scales:

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

You can also download the free WeighMyTruck app from CAT. This saves from having to go inside to pay for and get your weigh ticket. Each time you weigh you‘ll get an email of the weigh ticket. Several good YouTube videos.

You can then input your weigh numbers into this calculator, results will show at the bottom:

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brand TPMS we have is EEZ Tire. As I said, we bought it at an RV show, and didn't do a whole lot of shopping around for such things. So can't say whether it's the best, or even "better" than others. But it's worked for us.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    The brand TPMS we have is EEZ Tire. As I said, we bought it at an RV show, and didn't do a whole lot of shopping around for such things. So can't say whether it's the best, or even "better" than others. But it's worked for us.
    We’re using the EEZ Tire TPMS too since 2018 on a couple different trailers now. Agreed, I don’t know if it’s best or better. Several others out there for sale.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my questions:

Thanks!
    65 is top speed for us. My wife thinks that the tires are only rated for that, and that’s okay for me. As others have said, CAT scale is easy and available at many truck stops.

I have a full checklist, similar to an airline pilot. Might be overkill, but I’ve never missed anything. I drove gasoline tanker in my younger days, and you don’t often get a second chance if you make a mistake in one of those. Safety is my responsibility, no one else’s.

We have a Ford F-350 with a nice built-in TPMS for the truck. I could have ordered it to include sensors for the trailer, but chose to go with TST. I got six sensors, and put the two extras on the spares, so that I could keep an eye on them. My truck TPMS doesn’t show temps, just pressure, which is okay. I’m not too worried about temps on the truck tires, but I want to keep an eye on both temp and pressure on the trailer.

Happy traveling. Take it easy and just enjoy it.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top speed I tow at is 62 MPH and Generally stay in the right lane. Tires are rated I think at 65 mph.

I have a TST TPMS system. It works well now that I have their repeater connected. It has saved me at least once with a slow leaking tire tat was due to a bad valve stem.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast