User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxx Air Vent Covers are caulked to our trailer roof

Hi folks, Our dealer installed fantastic fans and Maxx Air vent covers on our Grand Design 2400BH trailer a few years ago. Unfortunately in doing so, they caulked the covers to the roof so I can't lift them off to clean the underlying fan lids. Any suggestions on how I can free the covers from the caulking would be most appreciated. My thanks in advance for your help

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Free To Wander View Post
    Hi folks, Our dealer installed fantastic fans and Maxx Air vent covers on our Grand Design 2400BH trailer a few years ago. Unfortunately in doing so, they caulked the covers to the roof so I can't lift them off to clean the underlying fan lids. Any suggestions on how I can free the covers from the caulking would be most appreciated. My thanks in advance for your help
    The options are limited
    Utility knife and carefully carefully carefully cut them out
    Do you mean the inside of the cover?
    Can’t you do that from inside the trailer?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxx Air Vent Covers are caulked to our trailer roof

Doesn’t the front of the cover come off or did the caulk it all down?

I went and looked at mine and they don’t come apart
    So we can forget that

I had a camco cover on my Jayco and the grill unscrewed from the cover.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-21-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They applied a bead of caulk all the way around the base of the Maxx Air Vent covers and set the covers into them. Peering into the covers there does not appear to be any gap under the base flange of the covers that would let rain that gets into the cover drain off the roof.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They applied a bead of caulk all the way around the base of the Maxx Air Vent covers and set the covers into them. Peering into the covers there does not appear to be any gap under the base flange of the covers that would let rain that gets into the cover drain off the roof.
    I just installed two Maxx air vent covers over the top of my OEM vents. Used the supplied brackets and NO caulking as stated in the installation directions.

I think you will need to cut the caulking carefully stay on the vent.

You'll probably want to see if you can buy the hardware kit to reinstall them properly.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would be taking it back to them to fix

That was a blatant error on their part

Do you have a picture?

Never even thought about water. It would fill right up and drain inside in a driving rain

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a way to get the dealer to fix it as its been a couple of years since the install and I'd bet they'll say the caulking was added sometime after their install. My experience with the dealer after the warranty expired led me to decide I would never take our rig back to them for repairs.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a way to get the dealer to fix it as its been a couple of years since the install and I'd bet they'll say the caulking was added sometime after their install. My experience with the dealer after the warranty expired led me to decide I would never take our rig back to them for repairs.
    Perhaps. But if it was how they install all of them. Maybe call and see if that is how they do it and kindly tell them they are wrong. Lol

I know the fantastic fans are difficult to put max airs over
    Like I said I had a Camco on my Jayco but the little cheesy fan quit and I got Jayco to send me a Fantastic fan to replace it which I did
    I didn’t bother re installing the cover though because it wasn’t a simple job. It would definitely be the easiest way to install to just caulk it down

Another thing I would consider is to carefully cut a square hole in the vent side of the cover. Enough to get your hand in to clean and then re attach it somehow. Wouldn’t necessarily hurt it and you can’t see them

Anyway. Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking I'll need to cut the covers loose from the caulk so I can get in and clean out all the sand accumulated inside the vent cover from our recent exposure to sand storms in Arizona. Then I'll have to cut some drain slots in the caulk bed so water will drain out when I put the covers back on.

Anyway thanks for your perspective and time, it's appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I encountered a similar situation on our rig. Use a hairdryer to heat the caulk and carefully remove one side at a time using a plastic scraper. Time consuming but works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast