Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with Extra Diesel Fuel

Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I know we will be remote, I have four, 5 gallon fuel cans that I will fill two or all of. Had the in-bed before, never again because of the space and usefulness robbed. I would, however, consider a larger mid-ship tank, especially with seamless factory gauge and trip computer integration, if we were full-time.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    Doesn't your F250 have a 48 gal tank from the factory. I have the diesel motor on mine and I have the big tank. It really helps with the range. I don't see myself outdriving the range during a single day.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went a little more extreme - https://www.transferflow.com/shop/pr...244#080BL13244

Our main tank is 32 gallons, then we have another 50 gallons in this, plus 50 gallons of ethanol-free unleaded for our ATV, generator, etc. It was well worth it as we may boondock for extended periods.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brent
    I replaced my 26 gal mid ship tank with the Titan 60 gal. which leaves more room in the bed.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Doesn't your F250 have a 48 gal tank from the factory. I have the diesel motor on mine and I have the big tank. It really helps with the range. I don't see myself outdriving the range during a single day.
    No, it's 34 standard on them. There's an issue with that as well. Once on fumes, it only takes about 26 gallons to fill it. There's documented evidence of an issue with the DTE. Anyway, back to topic. :O)
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's 34 standard on them. There's an issue with that as well. Once on fumes, it only takes about 26 gallons to fill it. There's documented evidence of an issue with the DTE. Anyway, back to topic. :O)
    Quick aside: there is a TSB out for some of the standard tank trucks. It seems they installed tanks that were smaller capacity than was advertised. I would check it out to make sure your truck is not one of those.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Quick aside: there is a TSB out for some of the standard tank trucks. It seems they installed tanks that were smaller capacity than was advertised. I would check it out to make sure your truck is not one of those.
    Any idea how to validate it other than get as close to empty as possible and fill? I already did that and it was 26 as mentioned? I did read of the TSB, but thought it was only in the 17s.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea how to validate it other than get as close to empty as possible and fill? I already did that and it was 26 as mentioned? I did read of the TSB, but thought it was only in the 17s.
    I'm not totally sure. I just remember seeing it on the Ford Truck Forums. I'd head over there and look up the relevant threads. If you're only getting 26/27 gal of fuel in, then it sure sounds like there's a discrepancy there. Maybe you'll get a new bigger tank out of this. Every extra gallon helps when you're towing!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford has changed them on other years under the TSB. We had half our fleet trucks done. I believe it was more build sequence and what it was to be built with versus strictly model year.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast