Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado State parks

I am hoping to spend some time in Colorado this August (providing we can still get a site). Does anyone have any recommendations for State park campgrounds in Colorado. We are open to suggestions throughout Colorado. Interested in must see things, as I have never spent any time there, other than visiting friends, or just driving through. Looking for suggestions of what to see, and or just where to stay.
    Thanks in advance
    Jerry
    Jerry & Barbara
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F-250 Lariat 6.7 Short bed SRW 4X4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridgeway state park on the west side of the state is great. They have full hook-ups also. You can do day trips to the towns of Telluride, Ouray, black canyon of the Gunnison National park, and monstrose. The are plenty of side trips, off road trails, fishing, etc also. Do miss The town of Ridgeway, where the original movie True Grit, was filmed. We loved our 2 week stay there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry & Barbara View Post
    I am hoping to spend some time in Colorado this August (providing we can still get a site). Does anyone have any recommendations for State park campgrounds in Colorado. We are open to suggestions throughout Colorado. Interested in must see things, as I have never spent any time there, other than visiting friends, or just driving through. Looking for suggestions of what to see, and or just where to stay.
    Thanks in advance
    Jerry
    Jerry - we stayed at Golden Gate Canyon SP for a few nights a few years ago. The park is located west of Golden, CO exiting off I-70 taking the highway to Blackhawk/Central City with the park just a few miles up the road.

Fabulous park at elevation about 8000-9000 for campsites as I recall. We would stay here again w/o question ! Paved roads in the campground with gravel sites. Plenty of Aspen and evergreen trees to make it like you are camping in the forest. Bathrooms were new and very clean. Plenty of hiking trails of which we did not do much.....wish we would have done more but there were other plans as going back to Denver for a Rockies game, day trip to Mt. Evans, pizza at Idaho Springs, shopping for the girls, and more, oh my !

Here is the link to the park: https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/P...ldengateCanyon

There are plenty for sites like Trip Advisor and others with plenty of information, pictures, ratings (the park is highly rated.) Here are a few pictures too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_173528.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	32859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_173653.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	32860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_173712.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	32861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160719_102255.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	32862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160719_091727.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	32863

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry & Barbara View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Jerry
    We have stayed at St Vrain State Park in Loveland and Cherry Creek State Park in Denver. The view was nicer from St Vrain. Both state parks are very nicely laid out. Safe travels.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into the southern part of Colorado. Durango and the narrow gage railroad, Mesa Verde and then Pagosa Springs for the hot springs.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We loved staying at a couple of Colorado State Parks, but we have found that they are very expensive. I the few we have stayed in, we had to pay the daily entrance/usage fee in addition to the camping fee. We were told that the reason is that they are not subsidized.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2