User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've adjusted a fastway E2 hitch before. Get the trailer reasonably level with both the truck and trailer sitting on a reasonably flat surface. Adjust the ball height in the hole that gets as close to the hitch height as possible. You should be able to get it within an inch or so. 2 1/2 inches is pretty far off. After setting the number of washers to get your front wheel well height back to the starting point might take a few tries.

It also sounds like you might be loaded a little tail heavy in the trailer which will give you sway.

Once adjusted properly there is nothing wrong with the E2 hitch.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Not exactly sure where you are located @dillpunk, but if near Sacramento, give these guys a call: https://rv-time.com/rv-service/
    They may be able to help you directly or point you in the right direction. Friends of mine in Davis CA have used them for some aftermarket hitch installs and highly recommend them.

When I lived in Davis, I had Davis Muffler and Hitch do some work on my then F150. I don't know if they are still around, but they were also very helpful with advice and choosing the right equipment.
    I am going to give them a call today. I live in Vacaville so Sac is not far and they are right around the corner from the dealer that sold me my rig. Thank you for the advice!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I've adjusted a fastway E2 hitch before. Get the trailer reasonably level with both the truck and trailer sitting on a reasonably flat surface. Adjust the ball height in the hole that gets as close to the hitch height as possible. You should be able to get it within an inch or so. 2 1/2 inches is pretty far off. After setting the number of washers to get your front wheel well height back to the starting point might take a few tries.

It also sounds like you might be loaded a little tail heavy in the trailer which will give you sway.

Once adjusted properly there is nothing wrong with the E2 hitch.
    Thanks for the info. The thing is... I am not really loaded in the back at all. In fact there is nothing in the trailer behind the axle outside of what came in the thing stock. When I picked it up, it had 3/4 tank of fresh water and I have added maaaaybe 100lbs of stuff to the front storage. I am assuming that the fresh water tank is in front of the axle. I don't have heavy gear like so many others seem to have so I am having a hard time figuring out how to put weight on the front. Im getting ready to throw a square of asphalt shingles in the storage just to put a solid 220lbs on the tongue as I know exactly what they weigh. Using a bubble level on the floor of the trailer (on reasonably flat ground according to the same level, the hitch is about 2.5 inches lower than the ball. It was 3.5 until I dropped it. At this point I have done the entire setup of the E2 myself so I know I can do it again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds off. You should level your trailer and generally set the ball height one inch higher than the hitch on the trailer. This will allow for you to have a little bit of sag on the rear of the truck and have the trailer level when the bars are set. So when it is set this way and you set the hitch on the ball it will drop your truck back end and raise the front of the truck but with the bars it will help lift the rear and bring the front of the truck back to or close to original height.

The adjustments you have are the washers and the bar position. Just follow the directions for the hitch. The bars should be somewhat level.

I have setup a hitch before but when I got my Xplor I just bought the hitch from the dealer. The guy did not do any measurements but pretty much installed it correctly.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling, Sway and Dealership Incompetence

I find it very interesting how someone could have such a drastic experience vs another

The Op has basically the same set up as I. Different trailers but basically the same
    Ford F-150 vs GMC Sierra
    Fast way E2 vs Husky Centreline

Dealer installed mine in 15 minutes. Took zero measurements as well. I said you were fast and he said I install hundreds upon hundreds. Being a stock GMC I was sure he knew what needed to be done and that was why he was so quick

The OP said he was having major sway events and couldn’t get over 50

Mine towed like it was on a rail. As soon as I hooked on I had a 1300km trip back home Through the busy 401 in Ontario and Quebec. Zero issues. No sway at all. And of course the trailer was empty of gear

So why the difference?

Is GMC better?
    Is the hitch the difference?
    Tires? I just had p metric winter tires on

Is it the roads? because well.... our roads are horrendous but maybe they are rutted from semis where the OP was driving

Mystery

Cheers
    Doug

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-23-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no issues either. Lazy Daze in Tampa had the 10,000 lb Equalizer all set up and was amazed that my Ram 1500 had so little sag. (I had Sumo springs already on the truck)
    But it towed fine on the way home. Then I went thru the adjustment measurements and it was good as far as I could tell.
    It was just too much weight for my truck so I eventually went to a 2500.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @dillpunk
    As someone posted it could be your TV tires. What Brand and load rating are they and what pressure are you running them at. In my mind they should be LT E rated at a fairly high pressure. Second what pressure are the trailer tires at? Low pressure P rated tires will give you the fits your having.
    Good luck
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-23-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    As someone posted it could be your TV tires. What Brand and load rating are they and what pressure are you running them at. In my mind they should be LT E rated at a fairly high pressure. Second what pressure are the trailer tires at? Low pressure P rated tires will give you the fits your having.
    Good luck
    I had p rated winter tires on when I picked up my trailer in November. Zero sway

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was asking dillpunk. His set up might be different.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I was asking dillpunk. His set up might be different.
    I know you were but tires shouldn’t be the sole cause of a sway issue
    My post above explains my point

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast