User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aux fuel tank in truck bed

Has anyone fit an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed if their truck to extend travel time? I can assume some of the pros and cons.....but, anyone that has done this, please give me a little insight into it.

I was thinking of maybe a 50 gallon tank.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rgpracer; 08-13-2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Additional info added.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Has anyone fit an aux diesel fuel tank in the bed if their truck to extend travel time? I can assume some of the pros and cons.....but, anyone that has done this, please give me a little insight into it.

Thanks
    The first and primary issue with doing it is how much available payload you have with your truck. If you are let's say within several hundred pounds of being at the GVWR of the truck and you put in a tank that weight75+ lbs and then the diesel fuel which weighs approx. 7 lbs per gallon, it's pretty easy to go over the payload capacity of the truck.

If all of that is going to be OK, then it's time to decide exactly what you want and hope to accomplish. I have a Dually with 5270 lbs of payload and I chose an RDS all aluminum tank (think...no rusting inside the tank) and I also chose an "L" shaped tank so that my crossbed toolbox could fit over the top of the horizontal portion of the tank. Between the truck's 37 1/2 gallon tank and the 60 gallon tank (95% full comes out to about 57 gallons), I start out with about ~94 gallons of fuel. The 85 lb tank and 57 gallons of diesel add just under 500 lbs to the truck, and that is why I mentioned payload capacity of the truck...very first thing.

Here is a pic of mine.....

And this one, you can see how the toolbox fits over the top of the horizontal part of the tank. Idid a gravity feed into the truck tank, plus I can also pump the fuel out with an electric pump if needing to refuel a lot quicker.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Northern Tool 36 gallon tank in the bed of the dually. With the 35 gallons in the OEM tank, I'm good for around 700 miles. Mine
    is a simple rectangle, but I do have the 12 volt pump rather than a direct feed. It is bolted to the bed, the pump is screwed into the tank,
    and it works great. I have it not so much to travel long distances, but rather to fuel up when I feel like it, not when the truck demands it.

Most of the time I'll refuel in the evening after we're parked and the 5th wheel is unhitched from the truck. Thus no worries about getting
    into and out of a fuel station. And we really like taking our breaks in rest stops, or parks rather than in a truck stop where we had to stop
    anyway to get fuel. The whole thing was a Christmas gift from Peggy, and only totaled about $400.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I went with a replacement 50 gallon tank by S&B. Replaces the OEM fuel tank and takes up ZERO space in your bed. Did the install myself, not hard at all, also went with the aux pump so I can fill equipment from my truck. It’s a really neat setup, no more unnecessary fuel stops and 1000 mile DTE when not towing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aux fuel tank in truck bed

You didn’t mention any details about your truck but I had a challenging application, a Short bed Ram with automatic slider hitch. However I found a 45 gallon RDS tank at Northern Tool which is a big big help. With the stock 25 gal tank we were only good for about 230 miles. Mine is set up as a gravity feed right into the filler neck, with a manual valve that I open when the main tank gets down to around 1/3 or less. It works really well and I’m good for about 600 miles, like the earlier post we just unhitch when we stop for the night and fill up. Best modification I have made to the truck. Only problem I had was with a locking fuel cap. Since it faces straight up, water gets into the lock and freezes in cold wet weather. Keep some lock deicer if you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the RDS Gas or Diesel 70 Gallon Transfer Tank and Toolbox Combo With 12V Pump weight not an issue .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 5.46.26 AM.jpg  
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scocciante View Post
    I installed the RDS Gas or Diesel 70 Gallon Transfer Tank and Toolbox Combo With 12V Pump weight not an issue .
    Wow Scocciante....i should say not.
    RDS, probably have smaller.....I'm looking at maybe a 50 gal.
    Thanks6

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I have a Northern Tool 36 gallon tank in the bed of the dually. With the 35 gallons in the OEM tank, I'm good for around 700 miles. Mine
    is a simple rectangle, but I do have the 12 volt pump rather than a direct feed. It is bolted to the bed, the pump is screwed into the tank,
    and it works great. I have it not so much to travel long distances, but rather to fuel up when I feel like it, not when the truck demands it.

Most of the time I'll refuel in the evening after we're parked and the 5th wheel is unhitched from the truck. Thus no worries about getting
    into and out of a fuel station. And we really like taking our breaks in rest stops, or parks rather than in a truck stop where we had to stop
    anyway to get fuel. The whole thing was a Christmas gift from Peggy, and only totaled about $400.
    Thanks Howard....will look at them, sounds right up my alley.
    Ray

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post
    You didn’t mention any details about your truck but I had a challenging application, a Short bed Ram with automatic slider hitch. However I found a 45 gallon RDS tank at Northern Tool which is a big big help. With the stock 25 gal tank we were only good for about 230 miles. Mine is set up as a gravity feed right into the filler neck, with a manual valve that I open when the main tank gets down to around 1/3 or less. It works really well and I’m good for about 600 miles, like the earlier post we just unhitch when we stop for the night and fill up. Best modification I have made to the truck. Only problem I had was with a locking fuel cap. Since it faces straight up, water gets into the lock and freezes in cold wet weather. Keep some lock deicer if you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Droundtree, thanks for the reply, my info might not have come thru in sifnature line....2020 Ram 2500/6.7 Cummins.
    Good advice
    Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I’ve had 2 different tanks. In my 2011 I had an aluminum 50 gallon tank sold by & installed by Dually Depot in Goshen, Indiana. It had a 12 volt pump to transfer the fuel directly into the fuel fill hose on the OEM tank. Positives were that the tank had fuel caps on both sides of the tank so I could fill both sides together if I used the satellite pump at truck stop. Also it was about $800 installed. The pump could transfer about 15 gallons in 20 minutes. Negatives were that the fuel gauge was mounted on the tank & you had to manually turn on & off the pump although there was a recirculate line to avoid over filling. On my 2020 truck I was not going to add an auxiliary tank. Then I ran out of fuel in North Dakota trying to reach a truck stop with great fuel prices. So I had a 50 gallon Titan plastic tank installed in Idaho. Positives are the tank is lighter than aluminum, has an in cab fuel gauge & when you turn on the pump it automatically shuts off at 10 minutes. Negative is that it only transfers 5 gallons in 10 minutes. That does not bother me. Price was $1300 installed I believe. I also have the TSD fuel card which saves about 50 cents a gallon off of truck stop prices. Often that price is less than you find at those stations you can’t take your fifth wheel to.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast