User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator Fans Not Working

Good morning! Plugged the camper in last week where it was stored and the refrigerator cooled off and worked great. Got it home, plugged it in and 3 hours later the refrigerator is very warm. I discovered that the fans in the back are no longer working. I've read about bypassing some thermal switch, but I have no idea where it is and whether I'd need to pull the fridge out to access it. Of course, the wood panel at the top vent prevents easy access to the fans. Our last trip of the season last year the cooling unit went out. Had it replaced. First trip of this year and no refrigerator. Yikes, what a drag. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd certainly appreciate hearing them. Breakers are all good, don't see where a fuse would be that would just be for the fans. Do you think using a small house fan to blow air up from bottom vent might do the trick? I could also suspend a fan from the top vent to hopefully pull some air through. Thanks!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to pull out the fridge to access the fans. Time consuming but not overly difficult. We made a box to slide the fridge out onto so no lifting up and down much.

If you bypass the thermal switch as opposed to replacing it you could add an on/off switch into the access area outside. We spliced into the exsisting wire for the added fan.
    When we got the new fridge we mounted the exsisting and the extra added fan on the back I used little bungies to suspend fans, much quieter than a hard mount.
    Also while the fridge was out we added extra foam board insulation around and on top. Can't really say if that made a difference because we changed fridges from the old Atwood to a Dometic, I do know the Dometic outperforms the Atwood helium by a huge margin.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be helpful to know what fridge you have, but to take a shot. I have a Dometic gas/electric model.

First find the 12v power source (remove outside lower vent cover). On mine there is a 3 amp fuse inline that goes to the thermal switch and back to the fan from the 12V power source block. Check that first. In the attached photo its the red wire lower left corner. There is a tak on the red wire with the words 3 amp fuse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717s.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	41277

Now for the thermal switch. It will be located somewhere on the upper cooling fins. On my Dometic it on the right end. It has two wires attached. On from the 12V power source and the other goes to the fan. First check that one side is hot with 12V being present. If you have 12v there you can jump across the connection and you fan should come on. If not you have a bad fan and need to pull the fridge. If it does work the thermal switch is bad. Ill try and post a picture of my switch.

Name:	IMG_0708s.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	41278

In the photo there are two red wires attached to the thermal switch on the far right of the upper cooling fins.

I am not an expert on this - just discovered how things are wired when planning my aux fan install.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to both of you. It’s a Norcold 1210. This will have to be a do it myself project. It’s under warranty but they can’t get it in until after the season ends. I’m going to check a couple things before we leave this morning and then probably pull the fridge on our returns

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Thank you to both of you. It’s a Norcold 1210. This will have to be a do it myself project. It’s under warranty but they can’t get it in until after the season ends. I’m going to check a couple things before we leave this morning and then probably pull the fridge on our returns
    Give GD customer service or Norcold a call. The may authorize a mobile teck to check things out for you. I also when back and looked at some photos I took from the top down (stuck camera behind the top shield) The second red wire may go to the control board first then back to the fan - just not sure.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics

A couple of pics from the bottom. The fridge does get power, but the one box appears to have a little red light that does not illuminate. Do you know if that should be on when the fridge is on? Thanks again.

Name:	IMG_6345.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	41279

Name:	IMG_6343.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	41280
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    A couple of pics from the bottom. The fridge does get power, but the one box appears to have a little red light that does not illuminate. Do you know if that should be on when the fridge is on? Thanks again.

Name:	IMG_6345.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	41279

Name:	IMG_6343.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	41280
    Sorry I don't have a clue. Possible look up the manual online - most have a trouble shooting section.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, have you tried it on both gas and ele?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Just curious, have you tried it on both gas and ele?

Interesting thing! Last week I lost power at the storage area and it did not go to LP. I tried several things and then gave up. We rarely use the LP for the fridge anyway. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I switched it to LP. Well what do you know! Now the LP works but the fans don't. LOL. I don't get too worked up over any of it. We've camped for over 30 years. We always get by.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who replied. Hitting the road. Will call Norcold and GD tomorrow!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast