Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Routing Question - BOS to Cape Hatteras

Can anyone recommended a route from BOS to Cape Hatteras that avoids the GW bridge, with one stop about half way? I have gone west multiple times, but never south through NY, Baltimore, DC, etc. Just a touch nervous of the marriage pulling a 5th wheel, 2 small kids, 2 dogs and the wife. Any advice appreciated.
    2020 Reflection 28BH
    2014 Ram 2500 CTD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewb4 View Post
    Can anyone recommended a route from BOS to Cape Hatteras that avoids the GW bridge, with one stop about half way? I have gone west multiple times, but never south through NY, Baltimore, DC, etc. Just a touch nervous of the marriage pulling a 5th wheel, 2 small kids, 2 dogs and the wife. Any advice appreciated.
    You can take 84 from Hartford and stay on it to 87 in Newburgh. Take 87 to 287 to 78 and that'll get you to PA. If you head out to Harrisburg, you can get 15 south to 270. That way you miss all of Philly, Baltimore and most of DC. At some point you'll have to head back to the coast, say maybe take 64 at Richmond or 460 a bit south of Richmond. I haven't been up north in a while, so I'm not sure what kind of tolls they have, I know they were talking about putting tolls on 84, and 87 is NY State thruway, so that has tolls. OBX are great place to visit. Hope you have a good trip.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely avoid the GW. The above is a good route, or you can also use Rte 287 from 95 at the Ct/NY border over the Tappan Zee bridge (now the Mario Cuomo) and then take the Garden State Pkwy to I 84, which will dump you into 95 south. There are no low bridges on that section of the Garden state. If you want an easier ride than 95 around Baltimore etc., go down the DelMarVa by taking rte 13 through Delaware etc. You'll get the benefit of going over the Cheasapeake bay bridge and tunnel. There are a number of campgrounds on the DelMarVa. If you took the coastal route you could stop at Delaware Memorial Seashore State Park...(the north side is nicer)....lots of options. Overnighter at Seashore State Park is the reason we moved to Delaware from New Hampshire. Much less stressful than 95.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great-- thank you both!!
    2020 Reflection 28BH
    2014 Ram 2500 CTD