User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shore Power and Solar

I just got a suitcase 100w solar panel for boondocking. Testing it at home, I had concerns about hooking it up while on shore power. Obviously I don't need it along with the shore power, but if I were to connect both at the same time would harm be done. I will be connecting thru the Furrion port w/adapters.
    My solar panel is 100w Renogy. 2019 GD 2250RK trailer.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budbon View Post
    I just got a suitcase 100w solar panel for boondocking. Testing it at home, I had concerns about hooking it up while on shore power. Obviously I don't need it along with the shore power, but if I were to connect both at the same time would harm be done. I will be connecting thru the Furrion port w/adapters.
    Technically, it should be fine. On a practical note, since it is a suitcase panel, why would you drag it out and set it up when you are connecting to shore power?

I just added a Furrion solar port to our 320MKS just to keep the batteries topped off when in storage. We are using a 50 watt Goal Zero single panel that we've had forever.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could turn off the converter breaker and let your solar panel charge the battery. It's one way to see how much you panel will do.

Some kind of a battery monitor would be a good idea. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not my intent to use both at the same time. I was just interested if there would be a problems if it were to happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not my intent to use both at the same time. I was just interested if there would be a problems if it were to happen.
    There should be no problem using both, but the charge controller on the solar suitcase will see the battery charging and slow down the charge because the converter is putting power into the battery. The converter might do the same. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Again, I don't intend to use both together. The question was intended to learn more about how the two might interact.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Again, I don't intend to use both together. The question was intended to learn more about how the two might interact.
    The Furion Solar connector on the Grand Design RVs is simply a Connector with a Pos and Neg wire connecting directly to the battery. That is also how your Converter connects to your battery. Both the Converter and Solar Charge controller will read the battery voltage and supply 13.2 (plus) volts to the battery to charge the battery. If you have both connected there is no problem because one will sense that the battery voltage is above 13.2 volts and will assume the battery is fully charged and not send any charging current to the battery.

In theory, on a bright Sunny day, if the Solar was turned on before you connected to Shore Power, your Solar would be charging your batteries and the Converter would "take a backseat" (regarding charging) because the Converter would "sense" a full battery because the Solar system was keeping the voltage above 13.2. Once clouds passed overhead, or the Sun starts to set, then the Converter would "Take over" the charging duties and would not relinquish charging duties until you unplug from Shore Power.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great information. Many thanks to all of you.