Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locking Lithium Batteries and Inverters in Front Bay

Hello All-

I am currently having a full solar/lithium/inverter setup installed in our new 367BHS 5th wheel. Not sure if I have this in the correct forum, so mods please feel free to move as appropriate.

Wondering if any of you can provide some advice on the best way to secure this investment from theft. The single small cylinder lock on the baggage door with a universal key is not something I want to rely on for this $10k+ investment. Thanks!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_bc_ View Post
    Hello All-

I am currently having a full solar/lithium/inverter setup installed in our new 367BHS 5th wheel. Not sure if I have this in the correct forum, so mods please feel free to move as appropriate.

Wondering if any of you can provide some advice on the best way to secure this investment from theft. The single small cylinder lock on the baggage door with a universal key is not something I want to rely on for this $10k+ investment. Thanks!
    Pay your Insurance Premiums and make sure your System is added to your Policy as a separate item, otherwise, in the case of a total loss, they will payout for two Lead Acid Batteries and you will eat the cost of the whole system.

You can also upgrade your Compartment Storage locks with "Tubular Key" locks like these: https://shoprvlocks.com/product/tubu...1-replacement/
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV - Thanks for the advice. I have already been in touch with my insurer and all of this (equipment and installation labour) will be accounted for and added to my insurance plan.

I had looked into a simple replacement of the tubular lock there, but just wondered if anyone had added anything more substantial.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So where else could you put them they would be any safer?
    Maybe a combo dead bolt lock would help.
    How would someone know you had $10,000 in batteries unless you talked about it.? I don’t think anyone would suspect that .
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best security is being silent about your install and use bulkheading and covers to hide from prying eyes. What they don't see... ANY door on a camper trailer can be defeated with a screwdriver regardless of the lock. They just keep honest folks honest! There not enough substance in the construction to resist prying. Heck, you take out some of the exposed screws and you can pry without readily noticeable damage.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV - Thanks for the advice. I have already been in touch with my insurer and all of this (equipment and installation labour) will be accounted for and added to my insurance plan.

I had looked into a simple replacement of the tubular lock there, but just wondered if anyone had added anything more substantial.

Cheers!
    One thought: If you make it look too secure, Thieves will target your rig like ants at a picnic.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate all of the responses - thank you! Since everything is in the front bay, and there is nothing else in there that I'll need regular access to I don't anticipate needing to open that hatch very often unless I run into problems, so I should be able to keep it all pretty low key. The abundance of solar panels on the roof may give it away, but not much I can do about that. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate all of the responses - thank you! Since everything is in the front bay, and there is nothing else in there that I'll need regular access to I don't anticipate needing to open that hatch very often unless I run into problems, so I should be able to keep it all pretty low key. The abundance of solar panels on the roof may give it away, but not much I can do about that. Thanks all!
    The good news is that Solar panels can be used to charge Lead Acid batteries and thieves can not tell what batteries you have under the "hood".
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK