User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for update TX-East I10 I12 to Ft Wilderness

I was searching for a more recent accounting of the route from South Texas to Orlando Ft Wilderness across I10 and I12. Will be traveling there June 4,5,6th. The last I found was several months old. I know they have doing road construction trying to fix things up. Is it still horrible on I 10/12 across Louisiana? or is it still advisable to take alternate highway 190 east to avoid.

Thanks Steve
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I-10 in TX is HORRIBLE!!! LOTS of construction and the eastern most section is just plain bad. Only the westernmost 10 or 20 miles is bad in LA. Not sure why folks think LA is so bad when the parts in TX are awful.

We just drove I-10 from Jax to San Antonio.

A LOT of I-10 is actually on the side frontage roads where there is construction and it is bumpy, wavy, pot holes and narrow. Heck, at one point my Garmin said I-10 was closed and tried to route me way off course (I think it was just west of Beaumont). It is marked closed but all the traffic is routed to the frontage road so we just went that way. It move along ok, but the road is rough.

You can probably see the construction areas on a TX DOT website.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - We made it to Fort Wilderness from South Central Texas. I10 - I12, highways were not all that bad through LA, MS, AL but the road construction, wrecks, traffic back ups and just the volume was ridiculous! Went through the tunnel at Mobile AL. At one point we sat still in traffic for over an hour. Florida I10 was a breeze, connection to I75 and going south Florida was horrible traffic, several traffic back ups 10-15 mph for 20-25 miles. Florida Turnpike to Disney/Epcot wasn't too bad.

Now getting into Fort Wilderness - DO NOT use GPS, terrible, they all lie and will get you lost. Disney sign posts directing you to Fort Wilderness are terrible, just terrible! We got lost several times, at one point I had to try to turn the rig around backing up, right angle turns in a business parking lot and we are 53+ feet, not an easy task with traffic, finally just right inside the Disney complex, I parked in the street and refused to move until I got clear directions and even then it was a pain! They get you into the far left entrance lanes of 5 lanes, then all of a sudden you have to move over all the way to the right lane to take the entrance to Ft Wilderness. The wife and I had a few words spoken between us!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-07-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh - I feel you pain. Disney recently changed the entry from World Drive into Ft Wilderness. I always seem to get twisted around when there and just driving in the car.

How did you like the check-in experience? They still keep people waiting in line at that Goofy (pun intended) portal? The last time we went there (and the last time I will go there) they had to run between their cute little booth and the office and it took about 30 minutes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    argh - I feel you pain. Disney recently changed the entry from World Drive into Ft Wilderness. I always seem to get twisted around when there and just driving in the car.

How did you like the check-in experience? They still keep people waiting in line at that Goofy (pun intended) portal? The last time we went there (and the last time I will go there) they had to run between their cute little booth and the office and it took about 30 minutes.
    Hey Larry, once at Disney FT Wilderness entrance road the check in wasn't too bad, the wife handled most of that because I was not in a friendly state of mind. Now, you have two gates to get through, the first one just seems to confirm you have a reservation at the fort, then they direct you to which lane of about 6 to go to for the second gate a couple hundred yards ahead. The second gate is where you pay balances and get your camp site number, maps and such. They seemed to know all about us at the second gate once we got there. Fort Wilderness is a huge place, our site number is 1028, the roads are narrow and watch out for all the golf carts and buses. Its tight backing into the sites, very little room but once in the hole its great! They were very accommodating even giving us passes for our other family members staying in an off site condo to visit us inside the Fort. Their signage getting to Fort Wilderness needs to be better, I guess the planners have never driven a big RV, but I'll give them a break otherwise because of the volume of people getting out! It just that damn at 53+ length and over 8 feet wide, its very difficult to keep driving around looking for the right entrance with no place to turn around.

The shear volume of people here is amazing, I guess since the covid thing is getting over people are getting out by the thousands! We had to go to Universal to see the grandkids high school band perform on stage at studio 21, that was great but else where in the Universal park it was shoulder to shoulder especially around the Harry Potter stuff. Inside Disney isn't much better.

Steve
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-09-2021 at 06:08 AM.