Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoky mountain trip

We are looking to take our 2021 2600rb on its first trip from Michigan to the Smoky Mountains in April. We are thinking of staying near Cherokee, N.C. as we don’t want the crowds typical of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. My question is should we avoid towing through the park on 441 and go around? Not familiar with the road and don’t mind going around and being safe. I have a 2021 GMC Duramax 2500 so feeling my TV is adequate.. some things I’ve seen mentioned staying in Townsend, Tn.
    Our main thing we want to do is spend 7-10 days hiking and exploring while getting the feel for the 2600rb as well. Our last camping was in September to Corbin,Ky. in a tent so thinking it might be a touch different this time!! Still trying to figure out what all we need to remember to take. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smoky Mountain National Park is the most visited park in the nation. The crowds are unavoidable . However you are going at the correct time of year to minimize the problem. We stay near Sevierville and use the Veterans Boulevard to avoid the traffic congestion of Pigeon Forge. Get a detailed map of the area and learn about this new road! Foothills Parkway and it's new addition are bypassed by many who visit the area. Beautiful scenic driving experience with little traffic. Try going south of Knoxville and using Rt 321 to go East into the park area. Lots of campgrounds on 321 around Townsend. We have never been in the Smoky's in April but I think you may have little problem except for weekends. Traffic on weekends is profane in the Smoky Mts !!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We visited the park two years ago. We couldn’t get a site because our 33 ft TT was too long. Personally, I wouldn’t take my trailer through the park. It didn’t seem like there were a lot of places to pull over with a trailer if you wanted to stop and take a quick look at an animal or stop to take a picture.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed in Townsend in a private campground in the fall when we went. We loved it. It was the last campground before you went in the park. Cades Cove wasn't to far and we spent two days exploring it. The park campground we drove thru was crowded and the campfire smoke hung like smog there. We were happy we didn't stay there as the smoke would have choked us down. Our next trip there will be to the eastside near Ashville, Nc. to experience that side of the smokeys.