Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerned over issues with the grand design quality

DrMarrs said:
    Today 03:34 AM
    I'm suppose to be picking up my 261bh next week... lately I've been second guessing my choice since I have heard many people complaining of problems with the grand designs right out the gate in the Facebook owner group. Most of them around around waterleaks, furnace issues and the refrigerator failures.

Someone ease my mind as this is my first RV and I think I have researched this to death therfore have a jaded view now on grand designs quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design has been one of the best built RV's we have owned out of many.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarrs View Post
    DrMarrs said:
    I'm suppose to be picking up my 261bh next week... lately I've been second guessing my choice since I have heard many people complaining of problems with the grand designs right out the gate in the Facebook owner group. Most of them around around waterleaks, furnace issues and the refrigerator failures.

Someone ease my mind as this is my first RV and I think I have researched this to death therfore have a jaded view now on grand designs quality.
    While there are reports of furnace and refrigerator failures, those aren't really Grand Design products. GD purchases them from the same providers that other manufacturers do and they also have the same failures.

Grand Design isn't necessarily better than other manufacturers, but, usually, the customer service (from GD, NOT from GD dealers) after the sale is generally better.

We've only owned one RV thus far. We've had our Reflection 4 years now (including a 10,000 mile trip to Alaska/Canada and back) and, really, no major problems to talk about. Minor fixes? Yes, but things need to be fixed at the brick and mortar house, also.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, it's a travel trailer. You get a bed, shower, toilet, kitchen, couch, dining table, and bunkbeds that are protected from rain and towable down the road, all for less than the average price of a new car. You can't really be surprised to find out that the build quality is kinda crappy. They pay workers piece rate to throw them together, and so the result is exactly what you expect. Grand Design has effective marketing but this trailer is built no better (and in some ways worse) than the Jayco I had before.

I think the furnace itself is fine, the airflow is too heavy in the bathroom so it gets 20 degrees warmer than the bedroom. Our fridge has been fine so far, no water leaks (and we did have it connected to city water for a while). The only real problem I've had so far is some weird shaking from the slide when it goes in or out. Probably just needs a little adjustment, and then it will be trouble-free for years.

What kind of truck you towing it with? If it's HD, especially if it's got any kind of lift at all, then bring blocks to put under the tongue jack. We had to top out the jack to get it to just barely clear the ball on my pickup. Also, the tongue jack sucks, it's worse than our Jayco one was, and I thought that one was pretty weak. This one is super slow, has a very tiny weak motor. And it doesn't have a drop foot, which adds to the pain of waiting on the jack.

Would I buy it again? Yes, because I really like this layout. And nobody else is currently producing an equivalent. I do think it's overpriced, especially when dealers are trying to gouge people for nearly 30 grand. In any sane world it's really a 20K trailer. But you don't buy travel trailers as an investment . I assume the value went to zero when I towed it away from the dealer, so whatever it's worth in six years when we get rid of it, so be it. I waved goodbye to the money when I handed over the check. We'll have a good time, and that is what I bought.
    Last edited by rootusrootus; 03-23-2021 at 10:23 PM.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Clint Eastwood asked "Do I feel lucky"?
    No two trailers are the same. Either one can be problematic or mostly trouble free. 99% will have some issues. Everything that comes out of Indiana is basically the same. Biggest difference is how they look on the outside and inside. Deep down they're all the mostly the same.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Like Clint Eastwood asked "Do I feel lucky"?
    No two trailers are the same. Either one can be problematic or mostly trouble free. 99% will have some issues. Everything that comes out of Indiana is basically the same. Biggest difference is how they look on the outside and inside. Deep down they're all the mostly the same.
    This is a good take. Travel trailers are all built with basically the same methodology, same materials, same appliances, etc. They're mostly indistinguishable from each other at this point. You can get some specialty makes that are built better, but they cost 2-3x as much.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarrs View Post
    DrMarrs said:

I don't care what you're researching, you're going to find a forum or social media page full of complaints. It's human nature to go rant when you have issues but keep your moth shut when things are fine....so that is why you see so many negative posts. Do I feel GD is better than the competitors....marginally. But I bought it more for the floorpan and for the peace of mind that "IF/WHEN" I have issues, that GD will likely stand behind their product more so than theater manufacturers. The dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty and I just told him to stop, I am not interested. I have purchased 3 warranties in the past and never used any of them. If it is going to break, it is typically going to do it in the first year and that is when you have to deal with long wait times and crappy dealerships for the warranty repairs. I personally like to figure things out for myself and fix them if it makes sense to do so. I feel a sense of pride and I know that it was fixed correctly unlike many horrid repair jobs I have seen from the dealerships.

So my takeaway to you, is relax and don't second guess your decision. You will get your unit and will likely find a few things wrong. Either fix them yourself or play the game and take it to the dealer for warranty repairs. Once you get the initial issues fixed, you will likely have many years of care free use as long as you keep up on your maintenance.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a Jayco, still have a Rockwood and now also a Xplor 221RB. The design and decor of the Xplor is hands down much better and that is why we bought the Xplor. Really have not had any issues with the Xplor except for the propane regulator which I just replaced myself. Never have taken any of the trailers for repairs, the Jayco and Rockwood were bought used.

As far as plumbing goes just check it out during the walktrough. Should have water in the tank and the pump turned on. Check under the sinks and make sure no leaks. Buy a real water pressure regulator, one with a guage. Off amazon they are not much, paid 35 or so for one off of Amazon.
    Not sure what Refrigerator you get in the 261BH but if it is one that runs off both propane and electricity make sure to only run it when you are level.

We have no regrets with the Xplor it has been a good trailer so far.

Looks like your getting a great model! Enjoy it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXkmpr View Post
    Not sure what Refrigerator you get in the 261BH
    It's a 12V fridge.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better dealers let/have people stay in their new RV at the lot for a couple of days so they can fix anything that comes up. It also gives the customer some time to digest the PDI and ask questions on the information that didn't stick.

I would ask about this if you have the time to stay.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast