User Tag List

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting Perspective on Lithium Vs Lead Acid Batteries.

I came across this Video titled:

The Lithium Ion battery has destroyed Solar Power as a Hobby!

There were two things that really stuck out for me when the guy was talking about his Lithium batteries versus his old Lead Acid batteries.

First off, the guy appears to have some real world experience operating his Off-Grid home using Solar Power with both Lead Acid and Lithium batteries.

The two things that really caught my attention were:

1) his Solar System is much more efficient with the Lithium batteries installed (he mentions saving 2 Kwh per day with Lithium).

2) there is nothing to maintain with the Lithium batteries, with the Lead Acid batteries there was always something that needed attention (watering, checking on their condition, de-sulfination).

I have to agree with his assessment, once your Lithium batteries are installed, there is really nothing to do but simply enjoy having a very reliable source of electric energy.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good, it's exactly what I want from my RV power system.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I came across this Video titled:

The Lithium Ion battery has destroyed Solar Power as a Hobby!

There were two things that really stuck out for me when the guy was talking about his Lithium batteries versus his old Lead Acid batteries.

First off, the guy appears to have some real world experience operating his Off-Grid home using Solar Power with both Lead Acid and Lithium batteries.

The two things that really caught my attention were:

1) his Solar System is much more efficient with the Lithium batteries installed (he mentions saving 2 Kwh per day with Lithium).

2) there is nothing to maintain with the Lithium batteries, with the Lead Acid batteries there was always something that needed attention (watering, checking on their condition, de-sulfination).

I have to agree with his assessment, once your Lithium batteries are installed, there is really nothing to do but simply enjoy having a very reliable source of electric energy.
    Everything I have seen, heard, and read, about the Lithium Iron Phosphate system seems like the way to go. At some point in the near future I have to convince DW that our current Lead Acid is junk so I can go to this system.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have the wife convinced to go with the Lithium next go around. I was explaining to her just this past weekend about it being a more upfront cost, but over time it pencils out. The response was, "That makes sense." Which I understood as, "Do it." Right?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I think I have the wife convinced to go with the Lithium next go around. I was explaining to her just this past weekend about it being a more upfront cost, but over time it pencils out. The response was, "That makes sense." Which I understood as, "Do it." Right?
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    Look at this way: If you tell her she looks good in red..... She would take that as an OK to go buy a red outfit, Right?

Its not just the money that makes sense in the long run. For me, the totally maintanence free aspect of them would make it worth it.... I never have to clean battery terminals again.... Priceless.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've enjoyed having two 100AH Battleborn batteries. Have been great so far, but I don't boondock, nor do I have solar... Yet.

What I like the most about these, are the high charge currents and no need for a long floating charge. Additionally, I like the idea of higher depth of discharges without impact to battery life; something lead-acid batteries suffer from.
    I'm sure the high charge rate all the way to 100% capacity is what helps make them great for solar!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the higher charge density/lower weight, higher performance output, and much higher efficiency when charging were what made it interesting. Maint free was also extremely appealing. Pretty much, they make sense for all the reasons so do not worry about the price
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)