User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone heard of or used these Valve Stems?

I am thinking about getting some of these https://smile.amazon.com/Colby-Valve...C7XP21ED0P4KT3 when I get my TPMS system (have not yet decided which system I want). From the reviews on Amazon, Youtube videos, and other web sources, they seem to be a really good way to get metal Valve Stems. They make them for no tool emergency repairs, 1" and 1.5" lengths, .453" and .625". Thoughts?
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-24-2021 at 11:18 AM. Reason: link didn't work
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I am thinking about getting some of these https://smile.amazon.com/Colby-Valve...C7XP21ED0P4KT3 when I get my TPMS system (have not yet decided which system I want). From the reviews on Amazon, Youtube videos, and other web sources, they seem to be a really good way to get metal Valve Stems. They make them for no tool emergency repairs, 1" and 1.5" lengths, .453" and .625". Thoughts?
    The Colby Valves are designed to be a roadside repair valve stem for off road enthusiasts. The way they seal on the rim is by using an expanded rubber wedge. This works well for (relatively) low pressure applications. I would question whether or not they could effectively handle the high pressure tires used on RV's (80 - 110 psi range) especially with the added weight of the TPMS on the valve stem spinning at road speed. You could contact Colby directly and get their opinion. Not sure I would trust other opinions. Too many "I haven't had a problem yet" opinions. YMMV...

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 03-24-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    The Colby Valves are designed to be a roadside repair valve stem for off road enthusiasts. The way they seal on the rim is by using an expanded rubber wedge. This works well for (relatively) low pressure applications. I would question whether or not they could effectively handle the high pressure tires used on RV's (80 - 110 psi range) especially with the added weight of the TPMS on the valve stem spinning at road speed. You could contact Colby directly and get their opinion. Not sure I would trust other opinions. Too many "I haven't had a problem yet" opinions. YMMV...

John
    According to their FAQ page as to pressure "In testing, the Colby Valve held 3,000 psi indefinitely. So, it's safe to say that if you're using it on a wheel, as intended, you can safely run at standard pressures up to 150 psi." I have a question in to find out about using TPMS Cap sensors. They do claim to be 20X stronger than a rubber stem, and not easily torn or damaged in rough use, as in off road and rock climbing. I'll post a response from them.

According to the question and answer on AMAZON " Question:Can you mount a tpms cap sensor on these, such as tireminder, or tst?
    Answer:Yes standard Schrader valve cap size
    By cardoctor1 on March 18, 2021

Yes, although if your wheel allows for it(valve opening isn’t to deep), we would suggest the Ultimate Valves for a lower profile
    By Colby Valve SELLER on March 18, 2021
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-24-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added another answer
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a pretty good review rating on Amazon from what I can tell...
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the reply I got from Colby. I'm posting my Question and their reply.

Question: Can TPMS cap sensors be used with these valves, such as from EEZ TPMS or Tireminder to name a couple

Answer: I know Tireminder is compatible, as I’ve had customers tell us they have recommended us , I am not familiar with the other brand, but I can see no reason they wouldn’t work.

I would recommend however, if compatible with the wheel type, to go with the Ultimate Valves rather than the Permanent, as the shorter length can keep the cap from sticking out so far.

Thank you,
    David Dassero
    Partner
    Colby Valve

In looking at my wheels, even the longer one would be OK, as the stem points toward the center of the wheel, not outboard. Therefore it wouldn't stick out past the tire and hit anything. I think I'm going to get a couple of the "Ultimates" and see how they look.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you need to dismount the tires to fully remove the original rubber stems, why not get standard proven metal stems like these (which I installed on my trailer rims)?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...lve+stem&pos=7
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Since you need to dismount the tires to fully remove the original rubber stems, why not get standard proven metal stems like these (which I installed on my trailer rims)?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...lve+stem&pos=7
    According to all of the information I have seen, including the manufacturer and you tube, even if you cant get all of the valve stem out, that little piece left inside the tire will not hurt anything.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to all of the information I have seen, including the manufacturer and you tube, even if you cant get all of the valve stem out, that little piece left inside the tire will not hurt anything.
    If you like random stuff running loose inside your tires, fine. I prefer not to.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the ones I used. Keep in mind, you'll need some stem real estate for a system like Tire Minder for the lock nut behind the transmitter unit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...6+cores&pos=10
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I installed one of these today, after I finally figured out what was wrong with my Ground Control 3.0 (Used it to get pressure off the tire). Pulled the old valve stem (and yes the rubber "bulb" end stayed in the wheel). I did pull the valve core to deflate the tire fires (Lost the core which is a moot point anyway). Man, 80 PSI is a lot to release the pressure on!!!. Anyway, installed the Colby Ultimate Valve per the instructions. The process is so simple ANYONE can do it. After airing up the tire again (used my Pancake compressor as the RV is too far from the garage - Took a while) I checked the deflection of the Colby Vs the standard stem on the other wheel. See the picks. Applying what I feel is the same pressure (I pushed as hard as I could for the anal folks - no measurement - but all I could give on the Colby). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OEM Stem.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	32991 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colby stem.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	32992. I aired back up with the Arrow moisture free adapter on my compressor. Sprayed with Soapy water an no leaks.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-27-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast