User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payload affected by larger tires???

Maybe my old gray matter is failing me, but my logic circuits are not computing on this one.

I've read several comments referring to larger/heavier tires reducing the available payload, and I'm having a hard time understanding this line of thinking, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

The tires are not being carried on the truck, the truck is riding on the tires, so the available payload should not be affected, because payload is what's carried in/on the truck, yes/no/maybe?

Also, can someone explain to me how the WD/Anti-sway hitch puts some of the tongue weight back on the trailer, and what is the average amount of weight that goes back to the trailer, either in lbs or percentage.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you go lower with the actual tire load rating (something you would never want to do anyway), tires do not affect payload numbers - they are unsprung weight (not on the chassis/springs). Conversely, putting higher load range tires on your RV won't increase the payload numbers on the sticker on the side of the trailer, either. Those are set in stone by the manufacturer based on a number of different factors.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Unless you go lower with the actual tire load rating (something you would never want to do anyway), tires do not affect payload numbers - they are unsprung weight (not on the chassis/springs). Conversely, putting higher load range tires on your RV won't increase the payload numbers on the sticker on the side of the trailer, either. Those are set in stone by the manufacturer based on a number of different factors.

Rob
    Thank you, that's my take on it as well.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload isn’t just based on suspension capability. Brakes and drivetrain play into it as well. GVWR doesn’t change, so anything that adds weight anywhere reduces payload.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's say the safety compliance certification label (sticker at driver's side door) lists your truck's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) as 10,000 lbs. Then let's say the actual gross weight of your truck as it rolled out of the factory is 7,000 lbs. That means you can carry 3,000 lbs. of passengers and cargo before you exceed your truck's rating.

Now let's say you swap out your factory tires and wheels for larger ones that each weigh 50 lbs. more than stock. That extra 200 lbs. of tires/wheels counts towards your truck's gross vehicle weight. So the gross weight of your truck has increased to 7,200 lbs. which means now you can only carry 2,800 lbs. of passengers and cargo before you exceed your truck's GVWR.

Even if the replacement tires and wheels are rated for higher capacities than the stock counterparts, and even if it seems logical that your truck should be able to carry more weight with those higher rated components, the gross rating listed on safety compliance certification label doesn't change. And that's how you could loose payload by swapping to larger tires.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essentially, dithers have stated, unless the tire weight rating is changed, then the payload would change. With that said, changing tire size if aggressive, WILL affect your final drive ratio and could have detrimental changes to drive ability. Something to keep in mind.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Let's say the safety compliance certification label (sticker at driver's side door) lists your truck's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) as 10,000 lbs. Then let's say the actual gross weight of your truck as it rolled out of the factory is 7,000 lbs. That means you can carry 3,000 lbs. of passengers and cargo before you exceed your truck's rating.

Now let's say you swap out your factory tires and wheels for larger ones that each weigh 50 lbs. more than stock. That extra 200 lbs. of tires/wheels counts towards your truck's gross vehicle weight. So the gross weight of your truck has increased to 7,200 lbs. which means now you can only carry 2,800 lbs. of passengers and cargo before you exceed your truck's GVWR.

Even if the replacement tires and wheels are rated for higher capacities than the stock counterparts, and even if it seems logical that your truck should be able to carry more weight with those higher rated components, the gross rating listed on safety compliance certification label doesn't change. And that's how you could loose payload by swapping to larger tires.
    That's a good description of why many people only pay limited attention to the GVWR of a truck. Many of the ratings are for licensing reasons, and have little to do with real world capacity. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp Dreamin’ Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    True, but a higher load rated trailer tire certainly provides an increase in mental comfort.
    Duane, Mary Jo and Milo the Dog = Full Timers
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty ccsb, 4x4, 6.7 Lariat
    2019 GD Momentum 351M.
    2016 BMW R1200 GS toy hauler toy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoTheGuide View Post
    Maybe my old gray matter is failing me, but my logic circuits are not computing on this one.

I've read several comments referring to larger/heavier tires reducing the available payload, and I'm having a hard time understanding this line of thinking, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

The tires are not being carried on the truck, the truck is riding on the tires, so the available payload should not be affected, because payload is what's carried in/on the truck, yes/no/maybe?

Also, can someone explain to me how the WD/Anti-sway hitch puts some of the tongue weight back on the trailer, and what is the average amount of weight that goes back to the trailer, either in lbs or percentage.

Thanks!
    It looks like you second question got overlooked....
    A Wight Distribution (WD) hitch distributes the tongue weight of your trailer between the rear and front axels of your truck. It does not transfer any weight back on the trailer.

A WD hitch is used to move some of the weight that would all be on the rear of your truck and move it to the front. If you don't transfer some weight to the front of the truck then the front becomes light and it can effect steering as well as how well your truck handles the weight on it.

When you hear about percentages of weight it is generally in reference to the percentage of the trailer weight that is on the tongue. I think it is suppose to be at least 15%. They only way to know is to weight just the trailer to get the weight on the trailer axels and the weight on the tongue.

Hope this helps.

on edit - this post should pretty much be disregarded; read on for a better explanation from huntingdog. I'll leave the post here tho so as not to interrupt the ongoing discussion.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 07-11-2022 at 06:04 PM. Reason: posted corrective info
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So did the question about payload get answered correctly? Larger rims and tires add weight to the vehicle which adds to the Gross Vehicle Weight, in turn that reduces the amount left available to carry things without exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

When I took my truck and trailer to Smart Weigh last year, we were 200lbs over the GVWR with the trailer attached. I was carrying hardly anything in the bed of the truck. I thought it couldn't possibly be correct. But then I realized that I added lots of weight when I bought the truck during my mid-life crisis in 2004, by upgrading the suspension, lift kit, larger rims/tires, air bags, fiberglass tonneau cover, etc... So, not surprising after all that I would be overweight for that old buggy.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast