User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake maintenance

So what is the correct to lift the trailer for tire changing or maintenance?

Was under mine for the first time today and the propane line is running right down the centre of the entire frame rail on the right side rendering it almost impossible to use the frame

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    So what is the correct to lift the trailer for tire changing or maintenance?

Was under mine for the first time today and the propane line is running right down the centre of the entire frame rail on the right side rendering it almost impossible to use the frame

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    That would have been my first suggestion and how I lift my trailer but with the propane line there likely not going to work. There are others on this forum that have bought a special saddle for the jack that fits on the U-bolts so you can safely lift from there.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer aid plus or a bottle jack with the axle cradle are popular.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much work you it be to relocate that lp line?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bottle jack under the axle directly under where the leaf spring attaches is best if you're going to work on the wheel or brakes. I would not trust jacking up from the frame as they are pretty flimsy, and I would be afraid of any permanent twisting of the frame.Jacking up this way will allow you to remove one wheel at a time while only raising it a couple of inches. If you remember my rant about my dealer not adjusting my brakes, that is what I did while at a campground. I simply use the bottle jack from my truck with a couple blocks of wood. It worked extremely well, and I had the wheels on the opposite side x-chocked.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    A bottle jack under the axle directly under where the leaf spring attaches is best if you're going to work on the wheel or brakes. I would not trust jacking up from the frame as they are pretty flimsy, and I would be afraid of any permanent twisting of the frame.Jacking up this way will allow you to remove one wheel at a time while only raising it a couple of inches. If you remember my rant about my dealer not adjusting my brakes, that is what I did while at a campground. I simply use the bottle jack from my truck with a couple blocks of wood. It worked extremely well, and I had the wheels on the opposite side x-chocked.
    Yes. It was what reminded me to look while under it today
    I know they suggest to use the frame but funny they didn’t think about that gas line
    Can’t see anywhere to relocate it to. Running the line inside the frame channel would have been ideal instead of right on the bottom

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they suggest to use the frame but funny they didn’t think about that gas line
    Can’t see anywhere to relocate it to. Running the line inside the frame channel would have been ideal instead of right on the bottom

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I agree. They do some pretty dumb stuff when they build these trailers. With cars they document the path of every single wire, hose, brake line, etc. It's unfortunate that the law don't dictate the same strict standards for towables. But, then again, it's a big reason why they are so "cheap" (relatively) and we spend so much time fixing and doing mods.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    You can run it right down the middle, supporting it by the cross braces, which are likely covered by the coroplast. Just drill thru it into the cross member. DO TAKE A PEEK IN THERE THOUGH TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT HITTING SOMETHING IMPORTANT! Hydraulic lines, water lines, wiring, etc. They run things willy nilly in there,
    But it can be done, as I have done it on a previous TT.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no problem jacking mine with an 8 ton bottle jack on the frame. Just move the gas line over a little and center the jack on the frame I-beam area. I placed a jack stand at the shackle support area up front and another in the rear frame area. That was when I recently upgraded to self adjusting Dexter brakes, installed the Road Armor and wet bolts. The gas line has enough give to moved it a little.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look under my trailer a couple of months ago to decide how I would change a flat or do maintenance. The recommended way is raising by the frame but for me it requires raising too high just to get a tire off. On a 221RB the springs are sitting on the axle held in place by U bolts. I plan to to use a bottle jack buddy, which is just an axle adapter for a bottle jack. I figure I can just use it where the ubolts are it should spread the weight enough on the axle to not hurt it. Basically the same thing as jacking where a leaf spring would attach if the springs were under the axle.

For changing a flat it may require lifting the trailer a bit to provide room put the jack and adapter under the axle at the ubolts. Most likely if I have to do this I'll just drive the other wheel onto some levelers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast