Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Zion

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zion

So even though I don't have my GD yet, maybe someone can help out. We're taking a friend's motorhome to the Black Hills, SD the first week in July. My wife's teenage niece and nephew are flying out from Omaha to make the trip with us. Our first stop is Vegas (they've never seen it, or anything else on this trip for that matter). I was planning on getting up the following morning and while we head north, cut through Zion. So I have a couple of questions about that.

1) Is it worth just driving through Zion? We'll have my 1 1/2 year old son with us, so hiking won't really be an option.
    2) I know they shut the tunnel down to allow RV's to pass. From those who have experienced it, would it be better to take the motorhome with the toad and continue north on the other end and connect back to the 15, or park the coach somewhere, and use the toad and circle back?

I think that's all I have for now. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there a few times and I would leave my RV outside and take the car in. More enjoyable that way. I've done it each time on my Harley and it is a beautiful place. Well worth the time.
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, first of all you can't drive ANYTHING into Zion Canyon. Not motorhomes, not cars and not motorcycles. You CAN drive hwy 9, which skirts the park's southern boarder essentially from I-15 to Hwy 89. That is an very nice drive with lot's to see but the real good stuff is in the Canyon. You have to take a free Park Service shuttle to go into Zion Canyon.

Secondly, there are strictly enforced restrictions for driving through the tunnel. You didn't mention much about the motorhome so here they are:

http://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisi...mel-tunnel.htm

Good luck. it's one of our favorite places. We've been probably 15 times in the last 25 years. We just got back last week. See my avatar
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devinh, thanks for the reply! Poppy, I knew I'd get a reply from you as you talked about Zion in a previous thread. I pretty much knew that we couldn't get down in the canyon with our personal vehicles and saw that we needed to the park tour. Unfortunately, time is a factor, but I thought taking highway 9 would be something the kids would enjoy seeing (we're trying to fit a lot in the drive back) and it would give me idea if it's something me, the wife and kids(s) would enjoy doing some time in the near future when we get our rig.

Are there any spots before getting in to the park that you'd recommend parking the coach so we can unhook the toad and drive it in?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There are actually some areas you can park in Springdale. At the far east end of town, only a mile or so from the entrance gate, there is a side street that has un-metered parking. Again I ask how big is the motorhome you will be in? If it's a class c or a relatively small (say 30 ft or so) I think you would have no problem finding a spot and unhooking the toad to take a drive. The drive on Hwy 9 to the east through the tunnel and beyond is pretty spectacular with some really cool rock formations and such. AND, as I said you could take the free shuttle through the canyon and see an awful lot and if you have only a short amount of time I would do just that. You can also get on and off the shuttle as much as you like. They run like every few minutes.

I think the road I'm talking about to park on is Zion Boulevard. The road through Springdale is Zion Park Blvd. (kind of confusing). The road only goes north and is directly across the street from where we camp at the Zion Canyon Campground / Quality Inn.

Do you use google earth? If so (BTW, I love it) you can zoom right in to the very area I'm talking about.

Trust me, a side trip with the kids to go up into the Canyon and maybe even a ride east on Hwy 9 through the tunnel, would be memorable for them at any time cost.

You know, the more I think about it, if you are going to go back to the 15, maybe you should just drop the motorhome right after you get off the 15 on Hwy 9 and take the toad all the way! Save all that gas There would be tons of places to do that. As long as you're not staying in Zion and coming back out to the 15, that's exactly what I might do. It's only maybe 30 - 45 minutes from the 15 to the Park Entrance.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info Poppy! Love the Google Maps...That's how I planned most of this trip! The coach is a 35' Class A Winnie Adventurer. I like the idea of parking it close the highway and toading in. Definitely have a lot to think about between now and July 1.

Looking at Google Maps I think you're referring to Lion Blvd. If you go up the street a ways, there's a big empty dirt lot. Looks like it may be an option.