Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ford F350

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vedodge1 View Post
    We just purchased our S-Class 2930RL. Also, I just got off the phone with Grand Design, and they assured me that 2,246 lbs listed as on the weight sheet (with the RV VIN) was the fully loaded hitch weight. Of course I think now I will have it weighted the first chance I get.
    If that's the pin weight listed on the weight sheet that came with your trailer then yes that's the "loaded" pin weight when it left the factory. That does NOT include two propane tanks, two batteries, all the food and camping supplies etc that we all load in these trailers. You can bet that 2246 pounds will turn into 2800-3000 pounds real quick.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my Solitude 310 and was over GVWR by 600 pounds on my F350 I was close to my axle ratings. Were you over your axle ratings or your tire ratings.?
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
    We purchased our 2019 Ford F350 SRW prior to purchasing our 2020 Solitude 380FL. I was initially concerned about the payload of the truck and the weight of the RV. After reading a lot of posts regarding the debate on payload and SRW versus DRW, I elected to move forward with the truck we purchased as our tow vehicle. The current F350 has all the accessories and options one would need for pulling the Solitude. Unfortunately, the payload capacity on the F350 was 3,300#'s because of all those accessories and options. Based on the weight of the RV and all the other things that contribute to payload, we estimated that we were about 800#'s above payload. Is this something to be concerned about when on the road? We convinced ourselves that we were fine and completed a couple of long trips during the summer of 2020. I will say that we had absolutely no issue or problems during these two long trips, which only reinforced our opinion about the F350's capability.

Our planned RV adventure for this year takes us to the western area of Colorado. As we started working through the details of the drive, we realized that we had a lot of concerns about the almost 3 hours of driving through the mountains west of Denver. We started asking ourselves once again about the payload of the F350 and the associated risks with being slightly over payload. Where am I going with this tale? Well, we decided after a lot of debate and discussions to move forward with trading the SRW for a DRW. It really all boiled down to one simple thing. Regardless of the debate and opinions, I need a better safety margin for my family. So we drove the F350 SRW to the dealership and told them we wanted exactly the same vehicle but in the DRW version.

The vehicle has been ordered, and we are patiently waiting on delivery. We were informed last weekend that a VIN has been assigned and the expected delivery date is May 24th. Long time to wait so I am hoping that somewhere in the process we are able to get an improved delivery date. Our decision to move forward with a DRW was based on a lot of information from this forum. Although we took a lot of people's opinion into consideration, we decided this was something we had to decide for ourselves. My message to you without getting myself dragged into the debate is to do what you feel is right for you and your family because you will be the one who will have to live with the decision.

Safe travels!
    Good move safety first.
    You’ll not worry as even being on the edge or even over as you were, you wouldn’t ever feel comfortable totally. Now you can.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our 2019 Ford F350 SRW prior to purchasing our 2020 Solitude 380FL. I was initially concerned about the payload of the truck and the weight of the RV. After reading a lot of posts regarding the debate on payload and SRW versus DRW, I elected to move forward with the truck we purchased as our tow vehicle. The current F350 has all the accessories and options one would need for pulling the Solitude. Unfortunately, the payload capacity on the F350 was 3,300#'s because of all those accessories and options. Based on the weight of the RV and all the other things that contribute to payload, we estimated that we were about 800#'s above payload. Is this something to be concerned about when on the road? We convinced ourselves that we were fine and completed a couple of long trips during the summer of 2020. I will say that we had absolutely no issue or problems during these two long trips, which only reinforced our opinion about the F350's capability.

Our planned RV adventure for this year takes us to the western area of Colorado. As we started working through the details of the drive, we realized that we had a lot of concerns about the almost 3 hours of driving through the mountains west of Denver. We started asking ourselves once again about the payload of the F350 and the associated risks with being slightly over payload. Where am I going with this tale? Well, we decided after a lot of debate and discussions to move forward with trading the SRW for a DRW. It really all boiled down to one simple thing. Regardless of the debate and opinions, I need a better safety margin for my family. So we drove the F350 SRW to the dealership and told them we wanted exactly the same vehicle but in the DRW version.

The vehicle has been ordered, and we are patiently waiting on delivery. We were informed last weekend that a VIN has been assigned and the expected delivery date is May 24th. Long time to wait so I am hoping that somewhere in the process we are able to get an improved delivery date. Our decision to move forward with a DRW was based on a lot of information from this forum. Although we took a lot of people's opinion into consideration, we decided this was something we had to decide for ourselves. My message to you without getting myself dragged into the debate is to do what you feel is right for you and your family because you will be the one who will have to live with the decision.

Safe travels!
    Probably a good decision getting the DRW. Bought mine 4 yrs ago after towing with a F250 and the weight of the toyhauler was taking a toll on the truck. The F350 DRW has no problems just a safe and stable ride. It's a little bit of a pain with our truck being the 176" WB but the 48 gallon tank is nice and the daily driving turning radius is not as bad as some claim. Congrats on the right move as I see it!!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new truck!
    We pick up ours April 5th, God willing a safe journey home.
    I'm about 800 lbs overweight with our 2021 310GK-R and our 2000 F350 SRW 7.3L diesel(114k miles) but it is a 2WD, and manual tranny, rated for 13,700 and the rear axle rating is 6850. Our total weight with no trailer was 7300 lbs. We are 2850 heavy on the rear axle at CAT scales with full fuel and 2 dogs + wife and 5th wheel hitch. So not concerned about maxing the rear axle out. Air bags and Bilstein HD shocks make the ride smoother, but naturally those upgrades do not improve towing capacity. But our new 14000 lb - rated Ford Duelly will help me sleep better at night!
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 03-26-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe travels!
    I've pulled my solitude 390rk over 5k miles with my F350 SWD with no discomfort.
    2021 GD Solitude 390rk
    2021 Ford F350 Lariat Superduty DRW
    2015 Wildcat max 310rl
    2005 Newmar Dutch Star 39ft

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe travels!
    You made a good decision. My last three trucks have been DRW because I'd rather have more truck than I need then not enough if I get into trouble. I'm full time now and there have been some situations where the dully has taken some stress away. Safe travels and enjoy the new truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won’t regret the F350 drw, biggest issues will be finding a car wash that it fits into, (I hand wash) and it’s difficult to rotate tires with the Alcoa style wheels. I run the fronts at 80psi and rears at 65.
    2017 F350 Ruby Red Lariat Drw
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    Martin & Denise

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s always the 550 to move up to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: We finally have the new Ford F350 DRW vehicle in the driveway. We were told by the dealership where we ordered the new trunk that delivery was delayed to end of June. Since we were planning our big western Colorado trip for the end of June, we started searching other dealerships. I learned two things in the process. One, it is very difficult to locate a heavy duty truck in my area. Second, dealerships will not trade these if they have them on the lot. We had to travel to another dealership in the general area to purchased the new truck. End up with a few extra options than on the one that I ordered but no complaints yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast