We purchased our 2019 Ford F350 SRW prior to purchasing our 2020 Solitude 380FL. I was initially concerned about the payload of the truck and the weight of the RV. After reading a lot of posts regarding the debate on payload and SRW versus DRW, I elected to move forward with the truck we purchased as our tow vehicle. The current F350 has all the accessories and options one would need for pulling the Solitude. Unfortunately, the payload capacity on the F350 was 3,300#'s because of all those accessories and options. Based on the weight of the RV and all the other things that contribute to payload, we estimated that we were about 800#'s above payload. Is this something to be concerned about when on the road? We convinced ourselves that we were fine and completed a couple of long trips during the summer of 2020. I will say that we had absolutely no issue or problems during these two long trips, which only reinforced our opinion about the F350's capability.

Our planned RV adventure for this year takes us to the western area of Colorado. As we started working through the details of the drive, we realized that we had a lot of concerns about the almost 3 hours of driving through the mountains west of Denver. We started asking ourselves once again about the payload of the F350 and the associated risks with being slightly over payload. Where am I going with this tale? Well, we decided after a lot of debate and discussions to move forward with trading the SRW for a DRW. It really all boiled down to one simple thing. Regardless of the debate and opinions, I need a better safety margin for my family. So we drove the F350 SRW to the dealership and told them we wanted exactly the same vehicle but in the DRW version.

The vehicle has been ordered, and we are patiently waiting on delivery. We were informed last weekend that a VIN has been assigned and the expected delivery date is May 24th. Long time to wait so I am hoping that somewhere in the process we are able to get an improved delivery date. Our decision to move forward with a DRW was based on a lot of information from this forum. Although we took a lot of people's opinion into consideration, we decided this was something we had to decide for ourselves. My message to you without getting myself dragged into the debate is to do what you feel is right for you and your family because you will be the one who will have to live with the decision.

Safe travels!