Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sell 351M and replace with a Class A? Opinions from those that have had both please.

The wife and I are considering selling our 351M and getting a mid-size (32-34') class A motorhome instead. I would appreciate opinions from those that have gone from one to the other or have had both. We've had trailers for over 25 years, but never a motorhome. Our reasons are pretty simple. 1) Retiring in a few years and will be putting many more miles on the rig. 2) My DRW tow vehicle with the 351M on its back makes for a punishing ride on roads that have just gone to crap here the west/California. 3) More comfortable for our 2 dogs. 4) Access to refrigerator, bathroom, etc. while going down the road. 5) Much easier for my wife to do everything if the need arises.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had 2 travel trailers (TT) and 2 motor homes (MH) and bought each one new. We are currently RV-less but looking to return to a TT. We’ll probably order an Imagine 2670MK later this year. We were surprised to meet several other couples who were returning to TTs.

We loved our Tiffin 36LA, a gas driven 36’ two slide MH. What we didn’t like was getting gas while towing a Jeep Unlimited. Also, most class As have 2 more steps to get into the coach. DW had issues with that. So, we down sized.

We really liked our 2018 Dynamax Isata 3 24FW, but for 60-90 days of camping it was too small. It towed our 2 door Wrangler Turbo just fine. The Mercedes chassis is so nice to drive & pulling into a diesel pump was never a problem.

One other thought, MHs are cool to operate

Some of the MH pros you have listed. However, getting lunch in the MH & using the bathroom we normally stopped, the same as with a TT. The obvious difference is if it’s raining. Also, fixing lunch while going down the road can be problematic. Depending on your rig, camp setup was easier with our MHs than with our 2007 & 2012 TTs. However, the hitch & auto level system we plan for the new TT will balance that out.

Other decision points in no particular order that are specific to us:

● With a MH there is another drive train to maintain, insure, and license. We always had 2 vehicles, the MH made it 3. With a TT we are back to 2 vehicles, a truck & a SUV.

● The initial investment costs are considerably less for a TT as is the money lost in depreciation. We paid for all of our RVs, so monthly payments were not an issue for us. But that might be a consideration for some.

● The cost of Insurance is considerably more for a MH, about 2-3 times as much as a TT. But still that’s only $600-$800 a year if you really want a MH.

● The ride is better in a truck than all the gas class As and some of the DPs.

● The quality of some TTs is much better than it was 10+ years ago. For our first MH quality was a big factor. Now, a GD Imagine is not a Tiffin, but is very similar to an Isata 3 regarding interior quality & good design.

● We found that once camp is set up there is very little difference between a TT and a MH. Advantage goes to the TT in useable room for same sized RVs.

The bottom line is we enjoyed camping in them all, TTs & MHs. But for us right now, it looks like a TT will fit us better.

This response is specific to us and our situation, tastes, and desires. To help the OP with their decision I hope others will respond & mix in thoughts on new vs used, gas vs diesel, TT vs Fifth-wheel.

Tomato, if you want any more thoughts ago ahead & PM us.

Happy camping, Dave & Julie
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I personally haven't made this change, my father who is 81 did a few years ago. He went from a 34' NUWA 5th wheel to a Winnebago Class C then upgraded last year to a 33'-34' Winnebago Class A (Gas). I believe making the switch has definitely prolonged his RV travels since it's made traveling a lot easier for my parents.

Benefits include the ability for my mother to get up and move around if she needs a break from sitting, they can pull into any parking lot a take a break whenever they feel the need and not have to exit the vehicle, increased visibility while driving, and it's a lot easier for them to get in and out of. Setup for them seems easier as well. Ride quality was ok but his had too much body roll so he upgraded shocks and that seems to have greatly improved the ride. They pull a CRV as their toad so the overall length is shorter than his old truck/5th wheel setup.

Downsides (more of my perspective) are floorplan layouts. Since the cab portion is included in the overall length you get quite a bit less interior living space and there are a limited variety of floor plans compared to 5th wheels and travel trailer. The driver and passenger seats do rotate into the living area, but you still lose valuable living space. You pretty much have to tow another vehicle behind it if you want to go anywhere after you are stationary (benefit is that it usually is a much smaller vehicle than your old tow vehicle so it's easier to get around). Since his is gas, he has to really research and plan out his longer trips since it is a challenge getting in and out of a lot of gas pumps. Newer gas stations seem to be more accommodating and are starting to account for more recreational vehicles.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were thinking about a MH and decided to rent both a class A and a class C to try them out first. It was money well spent and we decided we wanted to stick with trailers afterward. It's not cheap but a good way to try it out first before making a big purchasing decision.
    '19 Momentum 351M
    '20 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 8' bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information - thank you. The Tiffin 32SA is the one that really has our attention right now. Interesting that you note a truck rides better than all the gas Class A's. Why is that? I've seen complaints that they roll a lot and are like boats, as Barry K mentions, but is the ride rough? My dually beats the crap out of us on rough roads when towing our 351. Thanks again!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what we are planning at this point. What was the key factor that made you decide to stick with trailers?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great points, thanks. The one thing I have been concerned about is pulling a car/vehicle for running around - I do not want to do that. Am I kidding myself to think that we could get by fine without one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiffin makes a great coach & you'll find most Tiffin owners will say they love them. The 32SA is really nice. If it's a 2018 or newer some of the issues with the Ford V-12 were fixed with the 6 speed transmission. Seems like the new F53 chassis come with the Ford V-8 & 6 speed transmission. You might ask on the Tiffin forum what owners think about them: https://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum/

The comment about a truck riding better is based on a new RAM 1500. It rides like a limo!

Regarding class A handling & ride, we put a steering damper on our Tiffin and Sumo springs on all 4 corners. They are real common class A gasser fixes. The steering damper helped with the wondering on the highway. The Sumos helped the rocking & rolling exiting a gas station and the push from an 18-wheeler passing. Those fixes made it pretty nice to operate. The biggest issue we couldn't fix was that you feel every highway joint. I mean it wasn't absolutely awful, but was annoying. That's a fairly common complaint on all class As, you sit right over the front wheels. There are some fixes to that offered by Tiffin. If you are ordering your MH you might call Tiffin in Red Bay & talk to someone about how expensive & how effective the fixes are.

Tiffin's are really nice coaches & their customer service is excellent. If you decide on a MH, you won't go wrong with a Tiffin or a Newmar.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    All great points, thanks. The one thing I have been concerned about is pulling a car/vehicle for running around - I do not want to do that. Am I kidding myself to think that we could get by fine without one?
    We wouldn't go without a towed. But lots of other folks do real well without one. You can research this on the forums. Some people just call ahead for a rental car & have it delivered to the RV park when they think they need one. Seems to work well for many. You could try camping without one & see how you like it.

Toweds are expensive, the set up will run in the area of $4000 (Camping World purchase & install). But the F53 chassis will pull most 4500 lbs vehicles just fine.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    That's exactly what we are planning at this point. What was the key factor that made you decide to stick with trailers?
    Main reason was the Truck is really comfortable and nice to drive and we can disconnect the trailer and have the freedom to drive around. I know a towed vehicle can cover that though. I didn't find a class A very relaxing to drive. You feel like you're going to take out mailboxes while you drive on the centerline. Class C was much nicer to drive. Really it was just a matter of feeling like we preferred the trailer, that part is harder to define. Economically we got more nice livable space for the money since we already had a nice truck.
    '19 Momentum 351M
    '20 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 8' bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast