User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fla.beachbum

Can't keep my Reflection cool when It's hot outside

Bought a 2015 Reflection 303RLS from Lazy days in Tampa last May. At the time of purchase I questioned whether one air conditioner would be enough. We were shown the Reflection brochure, which in the endless summer package says it has a 16K equivalent ducted air conditioner, and was told that would be more than enough. Last summer on a 92 degree day, when the temp. inside got to 85 degrees with the air running constantly I climbed up on top to check the air conditioner. Imagine my surprise to find a 13,500 BTU air conditioner. Lazy Days said it was 16K "Equivalent" What ever that means. Now I'm looking at over a grand to have another air installed up front. On a side note, the 16K equivalent sentence is not in the new brochures. Any help here Grand Design??
    Other than that we really like the unit.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Atwood a/c units were rated at 16k output.

What is the air temp coming out of the bedroom vents? They are supposed to be a certain temperature to pass PDI at your dealer.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You may have the "baffle" problem that was reported last year. If so, the AC may sound like it's running correctly, but a baffle has slipped and lets most of the cold air go right back into the intake. Here's a link about the issue. If that's the issue, it's a pretty simple fix that you can probably do yourself:

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ghlight=baffle

Check out post number 10 on the link.

Fla.beachbum
    have not checked the actual temp, but it feels cool and there is good air flow

Fla.beachbum
    Thanks Jim
    I've had the inside cover off. Sealed around the frame for the ac. It helped some. I will check the baffle tomorrow. The ac does not cycle off and on. It runs constantly.
    I might be wrong, but I think the ac is too small for the area I'm trying to cool

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fla.beachbum,

Have a read through this earlier discussion.
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ht=Performance

Our AC was struggling (Reflection 303 as well) until we figured out that we needed to keep the inside filter and the outside air intake spotlessly clean and get the air on earlier in the day. Also close any blinds on the west side.

Specifically from that earlier discussion . . .

"As mentioned, how fast you need cool down after set-up and how much shade you have make big differences. We have the one standard, rear mounted, but ducted AC. We can adjust ducts to force most of the cold air to the bedroom at night.

If we have some shade and get the AC going when the temp reaches mid-70s, we can hold mid-70s with outside temps to the low 90s. If we have been towing and arrive at a site with no shade and interior temp in the high 80s . . . it sure would be nice to have the second unit !

We haven't experienced 100+ with this RV, so can't comment on that. I would think if you were living with this regularly, two ACs would be recommended.

For our "snowbird" use, one AC seems fine.
    And . . . back to where this thread started . . . a regularly cleaned filter has a huge positive affect on AC performance. "

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla.beachbum View Post
    Thanks Jim
    I've had the inside cover off. Sealed around the frame for the ac. It helped some. I will check the baffle tomorrow. The ac does not cycle off and on. It runs constantly.
    I might be wrong, but I think the ac is too small for the area I'm trying to cool
    The Atwood AC will sound like it's running continuously, and the fan indeed does. The compressor however will be cycling on and off as it reaches temperature. If you can hear the compressor turn on, then turn off again a few minutes later, it's highly likely that the baffle has moved. Even just a little bit of the cold air returning into the return side will trick it in to thinking your coach is at temperature.

Good Luck.

pilotkev
    I read a post the other day on the grand design owners face book page where someone discovered that the wrong size A/C unit was installed in living area on their reflection! The 13k unit was in living area and the 16 k was in the bedroom
    Maybe you have the wrong size A/C installed

pilotkev
    If it states you should have a 16K unit that would be almost a ton and a half of cooling but a 13k is just a hair over a ton . There are 12000 BTU'S in a ton of cooling there is no way a 13.5 K could keep that size of a coach comfortable on a hot day

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pilotkev,

There is some wording in there about the 13.5K being "16K equivalent". Don't know what this means or how it is calculated.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast