User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Educate me on backup cameras for my 310GK

Just got our new to us 2018 310GK. It's got the Furrion mount for the backup camera but no camera. Dumb question; which camera do I buy, and what else do I need?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a HaloView on our 312BHTS. Initial setup was a pain. Looking at Vision Works for the new rig. https://www.technorv.com/vision-work...nd-camera-kit/

Not sure if there is added value in the Furrion with side marker cameras, but those might make it easier for my wife when driving/towing.

Also considered the Ford OEM trailer camera, but from what I understand, it only works in backup mode.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 03-25-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3rd View Post
    Just got our new to us 2018 310GK. It's got the Furrion mount for the backup camera but no camera. Dumb question; which camera do I buy, and what else do I need?
    This is the basic setup that you'll need. This one has a 7" display that will go inside the cab of your truck somewhere. It comes with a windshield suction cup mount and one that can sit on your dash or center console. The camera itself is pretty much plug and play. You'll remove a few screws on the mounting bracket on the back of your RV, plug the camera in and screw it back in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I opted for this one. It comes with the two side view cameras as well as the shark fin camera that mounts on the rear of the RV. The two side cameras replace the two forward side marker lights on each side of your RV. The side view cameras are nice to have and give you a wide viewing angle on each side of your RV as you are going down the road or backing into a parking spot or campsite.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-Visio...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Both of these I've linked above come with the 7" display. I believe you can buy both of the above listed items with a 5" display instead, if you'd like a smaller display.

Everything you'll need comes in the kit, bar the few tools you'll need to install.

Hope that helps.

There is also a kit that comes with a 4th camera (the door camera) that you can mount near the entry door of the RV. I understand you can then take the monitor inside the RV with you and use it as a security camera of sorts. I'm not sure I would use that feature, so I didn't go that route.
    Last edited by bdelcurto; 03-25-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you dont mind the price go with furrion its basically plug and play its designed to bolt on and the connector is already in there.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info folks. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with others on just using the Furrion "drop in" camera. It's is the simple solution.

As for it being a "backup camera".... I'm not sure that's good description - never was. Maybe it is a rear view camera, but trying to use it for backing up has never worked out for me. DP and I still spot and talk to each other while backing. I find it useful for judging how far back she backs me and for use when traveling to either monitor my bike rack or see if there is someone behind me that is really close.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others who say the Furrion system is the easiest, since you have the mount already in place. It took me only few minutes to install ours. We got the back-up camera with the smaller display screen ( I think 5") and it has proved plenty big enough for it's purpose and takes up less space. The Furrion camera has worked for us just fine.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We chose the Furrion observation camera. Ours is wired to our running lights so there is no parasitic drain. Of course I have to remember to turn on the tow vehicle lights (parking or headlights) to get power to the camera. Very happy so far.

I will add that last year while washing our rig, I knocked the antenna on the camera off with the wash brush. It cracked the antenna connection. Upon inspection, the antenna for the screen is the same for the camera. I switched them and the unit has worked without issue.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve always had good luck with Furrion. CAUTION: They sell two main operating types and 5 or 6 Models. There is the BackUp Camera and the Observation Camera System/Kit. I’m not sure why anyone would get the BackUp model since (unless something has changed recently) the Observation Camera Kit performs both functions for basically the same price. I’ve recently upgraded to the Vision 7 Observation Camera kit and could not be happier. They are both very much easy Plug-and-Play models and most all (if not all) GD RV models are prewired for Furrion, just install the camera in the OEM mount (plug in one wire and screw in 4 screws- how easy is that?) mount the Monitor on your dash, plug into your “cigarette lighter” outlet and your done. NOTE: In most all cases you’ll have to remember that the monitor will not come on unless you drive with your headlights on since they all seem to be wired that way from the factory. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 03-28-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast