Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Towing Capability of Ford Expedition

Hi Everyone,
    We want to buy the Imagine 2800BH which has a UVW of 6,672lbs and GVWR of 7,995 lbs. Has anyone tried to pull a similar size with the jazzed up Ford Expedition (tow capacity of 9,300 lbs)? Honestly, we wouldn’t need a pickup truck for our non-RV life and can’t afford two vehicles, but I’m worried that even if we tow it with a minimum load we’d be putting too much strain on the Expedition. We want to spend about 3 months on the road.

We have some C class experience but this will be our first Travel trailer so we’re newbies to towing. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
    Pippa

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Capability of Ford Expedition

Moderator edit , Duplicate, threads merged.. please post the same threads in only area
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-25-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Duplicate, threads merged

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    We want to buy the Imagine 2800BH which has a UVW of 6,672lbs and GVWR of 7,995 lbs. Has anyone tried to pull a similar size with the jazzed up Ford Expedition (tow capacity of 9,300 lbs)? Honestly, we wouldn’t need a pickup truck for our non-RV life and can’t afford two vehicles, but I’m worried that even if we tow it with a minimum load we’d be putting too much strain on the Expedition. We want to spend about 3 months on the road.

We have some C class experience but this will be our first Travel trailer so we’re newbies to towing. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
    Pippa
    That 9300 tow capacity is for a boat not a high walled trailer

Too big a trailer for your vehicle IMO

Some do it but I wouldn’t
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it's too much tt for that tv. Specially if your planning on a 3 math trip.
    Punch your numbers in here and see. http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
    The UVW is bare bones off the line. No batt or lp thanks. The tongue weight should be between 12 and 15% depending on how you load it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pippamills,

I currently tow with the below truck and trailer combo in my signature, Truck has the same 9300 GTW. TT has UVW 6120, 612 TW, and GVWR 7495, My Diesel has no issues towing it, so your Expedition and you most likely can do it, but it and you will feel it. I would check the towing info sticker on your Expedition for the Max Tongue Weight to make sure you are not over there first. You are going to need a good Weight Distribution Hitch to make the towing more comfortable, proper and safe.
    Really it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. Me personally, what I have is about as large as I would be willing to go before upgrading my truck to a 2500/3500 Diesel, but that is just my personal preference being a newbie myself.
    I hope this helps you out.
    Ps. the UVW on that rig is 6386 if you are looking at a 2021 with a TW of 604
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2800bh
    Last edited by GrantKehrer; 03-25-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Grant & Kristi
    2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 HC, 3.0L I-6 Duramax
    2021 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 231RK
    Curt 17063 14K WDH W/ Friction Sway Bar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
    Pippa
    Hi Pippa and welcome to the forum!

I can’t help directly since I don’t have an Expedition but here is a current thread that might help to read through. In particular look at posts#, 27, 30, & 32. They have Expeditions and it appears they have the 2800BH I think. You may find the entire thread to be helpful to read through.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...wers-out-there

You can also do more searching in the upper right of the page by using Expedition or Expy as some people call them.

Good luck with you search.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
    Pippa
    Forgot to mention in my first reply. You can ask those in that thread with similar setups by clicking Reply With Quote to their post, like I’m doing for you. I’m sure they would be happy to share their experience in addition to taking other poster’s concerns/comments into consideration.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are numbers for our 2020 Expedition Max Platinum with tow pkg:

GVWR is 7720. Front GAWR 3550, Rear GAWR 4380. Tires are 285/45/22 and are rated at 2601 lbs each. Class IV 2" receiver hitch. No sticker with ratings on it, though. Tow capacity is 9,000 lbs. GCVWR 15,200 lbs. PAYLOAD 1658.

We really do not use the Expy for towing but would be comfortable towing a small utility trailer, a 22’ bowrider boat, and in an emergency, our two horse trailer.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    That 9300 tow capacity is for a boat not a high walled trailer

Too big a trailer for your vehicle IMO

Some do it but I wouldn’t
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Thanks so much for the quick response. I think you’re right. We will look at a pick-up instead.
    Pippa

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info - thanks! Much as I love the Expedition I think we’ll have to go for a pick-up and be on the safe side.
    Cheers,
    Pippa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast