User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Freeze Results

We finally were able to bring our Reflection 311BHS from storage a couple of days ago. Luckily the only problem we have is the main cabin Dometic 59516 A/C is giving us an E-5 error. The reason for this error is listed as " Open circuit or out of range Freeze Sensor. Air conditioner mode of operation will be locked out. Furnace, heat strip, heat pump and fan mode of operation can continue to operate but displays the last temperature set-point."

We have a Dometic Single Zone LCD thermostat so almost everything that I have read to clear the error is based on a Duo-Zone thermostat so it doesn't work for ours.

Any suggestions for me to trouble shoot would be appreciated. Since the great Texas freeze-out most mobile repair and dealerships are slammed so we're looking a 4-6 weeks before they can even get the 5th wheel into the shop.

Thanks for your help!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    We finally were able to bring our Reflection 311BHS from storage a couple of days ago. Luckily the only problem we have is the main cabin Dometic 59516 A/C is giving us an E-5 error. The reason for this error is listed as " Open circuit or out of range Freeze Sensor. Air conditioner mode of operation will be locked out. Furnace, heat strip, heat pump and fan mode of operation can continue to operate but displays the last temperature set-point."

We have a Dometic Single Zone LCD thermostat so almost everything that I have read to clear the error is based on a Duo-Zone thermostat so it doesn't work for ours.

Any suggestions for me to trouble shoot would be appreciated. Since the great Texas freeze-out most mobile repair and dealerships are slammed so we're looking a 4-6 weeks before they can even get the 5th wheel into the shop.

Thanks for your help!
    Try a complete reset: Unplug from Shore Power, turn off the Battery Switch and disconnect the Negative terminal from your battery. Wait several minutes and re-connect the battery terminal and power up the coach.

Let us know what happens...
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disconnected everything and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Re-connected and still have the error.

Got to be something in the roof unit. Unfortunately that A/C cover blew off during the storm and the roof was covered in snow and ice. The master bedroom unit stayed covered and it works like it should. Hopefully next week I can get a mobile tech out. I might call Dometic and see if they will send me a new board before we get a tech.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help!
    Disconnected everything and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Re-connected and still have the error.

Got to be something in the roof unit. Unfortunately that A/C cover blew off during the storm and the roof was covered in snow and ice. The master bedroom unit stayed covered and it works like it should. Hopefully next week I can get a mobile tech out. I might call Dometic and see if they will send me a new board before we get a tech.
    SO
    The first bit of info didn't tell the whole story.
    It sounds like some of the circuitry got wet and there is an open circuit somewhere. The Freeze Sensor needs to be found and bypassed to see if it's the problem. If so; replace it.
    Look for the wiring diagrams and track down the freeze sensor. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone (especially Ken). I found a freeze sensor at Crestview RV here in Austin. Replaced the freeze sensor, turned it on and it worked with no error message and nice cold air.

Here is what I did. First I took the cover off and wow was it dirty! So I took off the foam pieces and washed them and let them dry. Then took a damp rag and cleaned everything that I could and used the leaf blower to blow the rest of the dirt and dust out. You can see the freeze sensor from the roof but it's easier to get to it from the inside. So I took the inside cover off and loosen the 10mm bolts and the square headed screws which dropped the cover down a little bit. Then back on the roof to set the sensor and route the wire. The DW was inside and retightened the bolts and screws. Replaced the inside cover and back on the roof to replace all the foam pieces. Put the cover back on and fired it up.

On my Reflection the freeze sensor is wedged in front of the inside cover. After you loosen the inside bolts and screws it slides in the gap created and then is held there when tightened. I held it there and the DW tightened from the inside.

Now every video that I watched the freeze sensor was attached to the coils on the A/C but on my Reflection is was placed in the outflow area. Tomorrow I'm pulling the front A/C cover and looking to see how that is attached. I'll post pictures tomorrow, was going to tonight but it got too late and I wanted to put it back together and see if it worked before I bragged on myself.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone (especially Ken). I found a freeze sensor at Crestview RV here in Austin. Replaced the freeze sensor, turned it on and it worked with no error message and nice cold air.

Here is what I did. First I took the cover off and wow was it dirty! So I took off the foam pieces and washed them and let them dry. Then took a damp rag and cleaned everything that I could and used the leaf blower to blow the rest of the dirt and dust out. You can see the freeze sensor from the roof but it's easier to get to it from the inside. So I took the inside cover off and loosen the 10mm bolts and the square headed screws which dropped the cover down a little bit. Then back on the roof to set the sensor and route the wire. The DW was inside and retightened the bolts and screws. Replaced the inside cover and back on the roof to replace all the foam pieces. Put the cover back on and fired it up.

On my Reflection the freeze sensor is wedged in front of the inside cover. After you loosen the inside bolts and screws it slides in the gap created and then is held there when tightened. I held it there and the DW tightened from the inside.

Now every video that I watched the freeze sensor was attached to the coils on the A/C but on my Reflection is was placed in the outflow area. Tomorrow I'm pulling the front A/C cover and looking to see how that is attached. I'll post pictures tomorrow, was going to tonight but it got too late and I wanted to put it back together and see if it worked before I bragged on myself.
    VERY COOL
    I'm glad you could fix it on your own. Sensors keep me working. I'm an appliance technician. There are sensors for sensors on all the new laundry equipment. Too many of them.
    Thanks for the follow up. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021