User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our shower head holder fell off!

Our shower head holder has fallen off the wall and I'm not sure how I should reattach it. It seems as though GD just screwed the plastic holder into the wall board (thin plywood) without having any stud or backer behind it and the screws just pulled out. I was thinking of using a metal wall anchor like the one pictured below but I'm sure that it will rust. Has this happened to others? If so, how did you fix it?

Last edited by BeerBrewer; 08-30-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to reply....the metal wall anchor worked well. If and when it rusts I'll head down to the hardware store and replace the screw with one made of stainless steel. I wasn't sure if the metal anchors would grab the wall board, but it did. So all fixed/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They either slightly missed the center of the stud or the screw stripped out. Just use the bolt you show and seal the hole and the surround with some clear silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Our shower head holder has fallen off the wall and I'm not sure how I should reattach it. It seems as though GD just screwed the plastic holder into the wall board (thin plywood) without having any stud or backer behind it and the screws just pulled out. I was thinking of using a metal wall anchor like the one pictured below but I'm sure that it will rust. Has this happened to others? If so, how did you fix it?

2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, there was no stud anywhere near I needed it to be. When it first fell off I tried to do the simple thing and just screw it back on, but the screws would not grab. So I stuck a long thin screwdriver into the holes thinking that there was a stud on either side, but sadly nothing was there. So went into my shop and pulled out the electronic stud sensor and it could not find a stud either. Oh it found studs in the shower wall, just none that it made sense to mount the shower head support on. Our trailer is wood framed so the electronic stud sensor works great in there. So I used the metal wall anchors, like the ones pictured above. I think this was my only option at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you check out the shower controls mount too. Mine were just screwed into the thin plastic shower stall, so the entire stall wall flexed and warped. It would eventually fall off or crack the wall, so I cut out the panel in my adjoining bedroom closet to access the back of the shower to actually frame it with a 2x3. Now the shower controls, and shower head mount, are screwed into this 2x3 framing. No more worries about cracking the shower stall. I reinstalled the closet wall with screws instead of staples so I can access it again if I need to. A small piece of trim along the bottom where I cut it and you can't tell. I can't believe they just screwed it into the plastic without framing it. Anything to save a buck. My trailer is a Reflection 150 290BH with the shower up front by the bedroom. Other locations might be harder. Sorry the pics are sideways but this app rotated them when I uploaded them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOWER STALL AFTER FRAME.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	33313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOWER STALL BEFORE FRAME.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	33314

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post

Glad you go it fixed. So folks know I have used these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	33319
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used those before but for this I was more concerned about the shower stall cracking and having a bigger headache to fix that. Now it doesn't flex at all and it was still a pretty simple fix.