User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. My 'beef with 3400 vs. 2 x 2400s was the weight factor also (pun intended).
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptrekker View Post
    Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful. Any thoughts on the EMS?
    Mine works just fine with the Power Watchdog EMS, so far at least!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptrekker View Post
    My 'beef with 3400 vs. 2 x 2400s was the weight factor also (pun intended).
    While I'm not small, I'm not Arnold Shwartzguy either. So weight is always an issue for me because life should be easier (and I am not getting any younger). If needed, my wife could handle the 2500W too.

For me it's not going to be a regularly used item (I hope). It's a back-up for power loss and for the rare no-power-available situation. Although, I might consider more boondocking if the opportunity presents itself (and I have a generator).
    I agree with the others here that it's about your preferences and choice. None of these are perfect and there are issues with everything. Pick your poison.

I still have a lot of generator questions like; how do you secure it (and the LP tank) when in operation? I also don't want 50 lbs of chain to haul around either. I am thinking it could be in the back of the truck and secured, but that might just be a big reverb chamber. For now I'll keep watching video's and doing more research.

** EDIT**
    Some generators are neutral/ground bonded. Meaning that the Neutral and Ground wires are connected like they are in a sticks & bricks home. Some are not.
    I have the Progressive Industries Power Management system permanently wired into the trailer. It will check for the bonding and shut down power if it does not see it. My understanding is that you can use a male plug, from the hardware store of your choice, and connect the neutral and ground internally. The just plug it into the regular outlet on the generator to create the bond, YMMV. You would have to verify what your generator has in terms of the bonding and if your Power Management System looks for that.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob+Kath; 03-29-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: update
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post

I still have a lot of generator questions like; how do you secure it (and the LP tank) when in operation? I also don't want 50 lbs of chain to haul around either. I am thinking it could be in the back of the truck and secured, but that might just be a big reverb chamber. For now I'll keep watching video's and doing more research.
    Up until fairly recent times, theft was not so common in the subculture...

To keep honest people honest, I have a 30-foot, 1/2-inch braided steel cable and a very hefty NY disc lock. Cabled around 5er's rear hitch tube but you must also attach to the meat of the generator. Several portable generator brands have reinforcing available for this too.

Have used the truck bed when overnight stopping at Cracker Barrels or such. With spray-in bedliner, it does not reverberate.

Before the pandemic, I'd log hundred of thousands of air miles, and one thing I learned is that cellular based GPS trackers are great stuff for knowing where your luggage is... I have a pair that are on a month-to-month plan basis, and could be easily hidden in the battery compartment. Haven't ever personally done this, but it's an option. I did make sure our insurance would cover stolen generators, and it does, and we have a $100 deductible. Just needed to register the make, model, and serials numbers on the policy. Final thought, we have a lot of boondocking friends and their approach is to have more battery capacity and large inverters to keep things going when they're not home so that they only run the generator when at the camper to recharge, run the air conditioning, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your only draw back to the 3500W generator is the weight factor and difficulty getting it into or out of the front storage compartment, consider putting it on a sliding shelf that allows you to simply extend it out of the front compartment when in use....MorRyde sells one for around $150 as does RecPro. here is a link to a video as well for reference.....

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Genera.../dp/B07GJV9W55

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xnip2021-03-29_16-37-32.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	33046

Name:	Xnip2021-03-29_16-48-22.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	33047

Name:	Xnip2021-03-29_16-48-33.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	33048

Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    To keep honest people honest, I have a 30-foot, 1/2-inch braided steel cable and a very hefty NY disc lock. Cabled around 5er's rear hitch tube but you must also attach to the meat of the generator. Several portable generator brands have reinforcing available for this too.

Have used the truck bed when overnight stopping at Cracker Barrels or such. With spray-in bedliner, it does not reverberate.
    Thanks, this is good to know. I have a spray-in bedliner and would prefer to keep the generator in the truck if possible (just concerned about the noise issue). There are several ways to strap it down securely (from theft) to the bed. Did you use any padding or isolation?
    My thought was to strap it in the front corner of the bed using available tie-downs. Then I can use a shorter steel cable & lock system. If needed, I can always lock it to the 5th wheel hitch, that thing isn't going anywhere. Sounds like I'll need to do some field testing once I get the generator. At least you give me some confidence that the idea works.

Heavysledz also posted a drawer system that could be an option too. This would essentially dedicate the gen to the RV, which is OK. I don't have other plans for it at this point. Space management is becoming an issue, so I may have another use for that drawer,.... Now I need to spend more money.

Weight is an issue. I also like redundancy and the option to run a smaller and more efficient if possible. I am going to start with one unit and see. If we get to a point where we like locations that need generators, I can upgrade to a bigger one or add another 2500.

I appreciate all of the input, but don't want to hijack the OP.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, this is good to know. I have a spray-in bedliner and would prefer to keep the generator in the truck if possible (just concerned about the noise issue). There are several ways to strap it down securely (from theft) to the bed. Did you use any padding or isolation?
    My thought was to strap it in the front corner of the bed using available tie-downs. Then I can use a shorter steel cable & lock system. If needed, I can always lock it to the 5th wheel hitch, that thing isn't going anywhere. Sounds like I'll need to do some field testing once I get the generator. At least you give me some confidence that the idea works.

Heavysledz also posted a drawer system that could be an option too. This would essentially dedicate the gen to the RV, which is OK. I don't have other plans for it at this point. Space management is becoming an issue, so I may have another use for that drawer,.... Now I need to spend more money.

Weight is an issue. I also like redundancy and the option to run a smaller and more efficient if possible. I am going to start with one unit and see. If we get to a point where we like locations that need generators, I can upgrade to a bigger one or add another 2500.

I appreciate all of the input, but don't want to hijack the OP.

Rob
    In my RAM, in addition to the spray in, I have a heavy DeeZee bed mat - I tow goose and just cut out the needed holes for the ball and safety chain anchors.

Our generators live in the front compartment. I made a deck flush to the baggage door lip and a flip down ramp to pull them in and out easily. Only a touch heavier than a factory generator install!

Do realize you don't have to have identical twin models to parallel. You can have a smaller and a larger unit. It's not mystifying electrical theory either, but Honda, Champion and others have supported mismatched paralleling a long time.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    In my RAM, in addition to the spray in, I have a heavy DeeZee bed mat - I tow goose and just cut out the needed holes for the ball and safety chain anchors.

Our generators live in the front compartment. I made a deck flush to the baggage door lip and a flip down ramp to pull them in and out easily. Only a touch heavier than a factory generator install!

Do realize you don't have to have identical twin models to parallel. You can have a smaller and a larger unit. It's not mystifying electrical theory either, but Honda, Champion and others have supported mismatched paralleling a long time.
    Got it. I was thinking about a tray with heavy duty rubber feet/bumpers in the bed, but I am now considering re-arranging the front compartment. I'll need to see what exactly is on the bottom of the generator from the factory and go from there. I can lock it into the bed or to the receiver when in use.
    I do know you can mis-match the Gensets and still link them together. I just never thought of it for myself. Must be a 'can't see the forest for the trees' kind of thing. Duh!
    Now I know how people end up with a Dually .

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. I was thinking about a tray with heavy duty rubber feet/bumpers in the bed, but I am now considering re-arranging the front compartment. I'll need to see what exactly is on the bottom of the generator from the factory and go from there. I can lock it into the bed or to the receiver when in use.
    I do know you can mis-match the Gensets and still link them together. I just never thought of it for myself. Must be a 'can't see the forest for the trees' kind of thing. Duh!
    Now I know how people end up with a Dually .

Rob
    Ours sits on a horse stall mat from tractor supply in the bed of the truck. Zero vibration. Two long cables with krypton locks secure it in the bed or to a tree. I also made an exhaust extension like a dryer has which 20 ft long which goes on the exhaust with a SS hose clamp when we used it that way.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Westinghouse 4000 off of Amazon.ca because I am in Canada. Used it lots last summer and runs like a clock quiet remote start and not to heavy. Got it for around 1200. Have been running every couple months and fire right up. Purchased the extended warranty at the time so I have something like 7years warranty. Both my son and son in law have Yamaha at about three times the cost and they and no quieter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast