User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Thanks, this is good to know. I have a spray-in bedliner and would prefer to keep the generator in the truck if possible (just concerned about the noise issue). There are several ways to strap it down securely (from theft) to the bed. Did you use any padding or isolation?
    My thought was to strap it in the front corner of the bed using available tie-downs. Then I can use a shorter steel cable & lock system. If needed, I can always lock it to the 5th wheel hitch, that thing isn't going anywhere. Sounds like I'll need to do some field testing once I get the generator. At least you give me some confidence that the idea works.

Heavysledz also posted a drawer system that could be an option too. This would essentially dedicate the gen to the RV, which is OK. I don't have other plans for it at this point. Space management is becoming an issue, so I may have another use for that drawer,.... Now I need to spend more money.

Weight is an issue. I also like redundancy and the option to run a smaller and more efficient if possible. I am going to start with one unit and see. If we get to a point where we like locations that need generators, I can upgrade to a bigger one or add another 2500.

I appreciate all of the input, but don't want to hijack the OP.

Rob
    You can parallel any of the Champion inverters. So you could get a 2500 for small draws and parallel a 3400 for AC use, if that works for you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    You can parallel any of the Champion inverters. So you could get a 2500 for small draws and parallel a 3400 for AC use, if that works for you.
    Yes, this is the golden answer that I hope will become reality. This gives us the flexibility to only carry what we need and still go big if required.

Short trips during certain seasons would only require the 2500W unit. Other times we might want to take the 3400W. We would have the option of both, if the A/C or other power demands require it.
    So far, the best I have found is about $600 for the 2500W Dual fuel unit. I might be able to work a military discount for about $100 off that. Still checking.

It would seem that the Champion kit to link the generators does provide a 30Amp RV receptacle and it can be connected to just one generator (not linked). This would eliminate the 20A reducer pigtail and prep me for adding another one at some point. Of course it does not change the output of the generator. In effect, it keeps a heavier gauge wire in the line from the generator to trailer.

Local test run is in about two weeks. The trailer has been in storage for 7-8 months, so I really need to get everything checked out and tested. That will give me the time and opportunity to re-evaluate the front compartment and do a little overdue house cleaning.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Yes, this is the golden answer that I hope will become reality. This gives us the flexibility to only carry what we need and still go big if required.

Short trips during certain seasons would only require the 2500W unit. Other times we might want to take the 3400W. We would have the option of both, if the A/C or other power demands require it.
    So far, the best I have found is about $600 for the 2500W Dual fuel unit. I might be able to work a military discount for about $100 off that. Still checking.

It would seem that the Champion kit to link the generators does provide a 30Amp RV receptacle and it can be connected to just one generator (not linked). This would eliminate the 20A reducer pigtail and prep me for adding another one at some point. Of course it does not change the output of the generator. In effect, it keeps a heavier gauge wire in the line from the generator to trailer.

Local test run is in about two weeks. The trailer has been in storage for 7-8 months, so I really need to get everything checked out and tested. That will give me the time and opportunity to re-evaluate the front compartment and do a little overdue house cleaning.

Rob
    How did your test run turn out? I just purchased a Champion 2500 dual fuel and would like to run 1 15K AC with a soft start.

Tim
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    How did your test run turn out? I just purchased a Champion 2500 dual fuel and would like to run 1 15K AC with a soft start.

Tim
    Hi TIm;

Generator runs fine on propane. I have had trouble getting the link kit that I want (100319 I think), as no one has it in stock at a reasonable price. I'll check again before the next outing.

The 15k AC will not run on one generator, at least mine won't. The sounds were horrible and I stopped the attempt. Yours might be just fine. I have heard that it varies greatly unit ot unit.
    Soft Start is a must and it is on my list as a priority item.

Other than the AC, regular RV operations were fine with the one genset. Everyone operates differently, but it worked for us. The generator was quieter than I expected. Operated smooth as expected. I have found the connector to LP tank fitting is a bit finicky to get a no-leak connection. I suspect this is more of a tank issue than a hose issue. Some of the tanks in the exchange racks are not the best.

For now I haul it in the back of the Crew cab until I work out a better arrangement. When in operation it sits under the king pin on the trailer.

I think that was the long way to say: Yes, I think you will need the soft start.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the Harbor Freight link kit they may work. I just got my 5hr break in run done and changed the oil. I tried running the AC and my WatchDog ECM barked at me big time, shut down because of low voltage. Next up, Soft start kit. Do a search there are many $25 off coupons out there.

Tim
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123