User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion 2500 generators in parallel?

Has anyone used two Champion 2500 generators in parallel? If so, how did you do it?

Would that be sufficient power for my 50 amp rig? I have a 50 to 30amp adapter. We plan to use AC and microwave (highest power users) but not at the same time.

Should an EMS be used? If so, which one?
    Last edited by Ziptrekker; 03-27-2021 at 05:16 AM.
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered one of my own questions. For parallel connection, use model 100319 kit. It has a 50 and 30 amp connection. Still not sure about if it's enough wattage for our needs.
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziptrekker View Post
    Has anyone used two Champion 2500 generators in parallel? If so, how did you do it?

Would that be sufficient power for my 50 amp rig? I have a 50 to 30amp adapter. We plan to use AC and microwave (highest power users) but not at the same time.

Should an EMS be used? If so, which one?
    Honestly, we bought a Champion 3400 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter/generator. It has a 30 amp RV receptacle built in, it provides 3250 watts on propane, and will run 8 hours on 1 20 pound propane tank at 25% load. It has a 1.5 gallon fuel tank, and will power 1 AC unit and charge the batteries with either fuel delivery system. It weighs just a hair under 100 lbs. If absolutely necessary, we could buy a second one and the parallel kit to run everything in the coach at the same time, but, I don't think we will ever get to that point.

The one 3400 watt costs less that 2 2400 watt generators and a parallel kit (when you can find it in sale). We bought our 3400 on sale through Amazon for $300.00 off. It has a lower fuel consumption rate that two 2400s, and lighter than the combined weight (I think). No need for a propane Y connector... Just simpler, overall, for my simple brain to use. Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking at this exact configuration. At 39# it is something DW can handle if the need arises. I like the larger unit (3400) but at 95# it a killer.

My research so far indicates that this pair will support one A/C without any difficulty, possibly both if I add the soft start modules on the A/C's. I'm looking at starting with one unit and seeing how it goes.
    It would seem that the startup draw on the A/C units varies quite a bit from unit to unit. A single 2500W generator might run one A/C (and nothing else) depending on your exact unit. I am confident (not positive) that one of these generators would handle a single 15oooBTU A/C with a soft start installed. The Microwave won't be a problem on one gen unit, its only about 1000 to 1200 watts.

Two units, linked with the parallel kit, would handle a decent load (about 3300W continuous on propane). As with any generator set-up, you'll need to be conscious of the loads and your power consumption.

Keep in mind that my crudimentary thinking is based on propane, not gasoline. If you are going to be using gasoline, then the generators will produce a little more power than propane, so my confidence level goes up a bit more.

Anyone else currently using the Campion 2500? How does it perform?

Rob
    Last edited by Rob+Kath; 03-27-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question here is a little different than on your other thread about propane. Yes, you could use two of the smaller in parallel, but you're not going to be able to run everything simultaneously. You will need to be conscious of your power usage is all. One of the 3400 units might be a better choice as mentioned and you can work with a 50 to 30 amp dogbone adapter. Personally, we have two 3400s and a parallel kit. If needed, like height of summer, we can run both and have no concern for the power demands in our camper. However, we generally just use one unit. Our Champions are also backup power for our home so the cost was easily justified and payed for itself when the hard winter here this year had power lines down for days.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always seem like I am defending the use of 2 small generators over one large one..... anyway......

I just posted on another thread that I have been using 2 Honda 2000i"s for over 12 years. I can run one AC constantly and use other appliances. We keep the water heater on gas when on generator. And we just make not sure to run the AC, microwave, and DP's hair drying all at the same time.

P.S. I only run one AC at a time (or at all).

The advantages for me are: lightweight so easily portable; can use just one when heavy amperage not necessary; can store in front bay.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I always seem like I am defending the use of 2 small generators over one large one..... anyway......

I just posted on another thread that I have been using 2 Honda 2000i"s for over 12 years. I can run one AC constantly and use other appliances. We keep the water heater on gas when on generator. And we just make not sure to run the AC, microwave, and DP's hair drying all at the same time.

The advantages for me are: lightweight so easily portable; can use just one when heavy amperage not necessary; can store in front bay.
    Lol! I don't think it's a matter of defending. Either approach works. Fantastic argument is about handling with the tiny portables since they're so easy to carry! I consider ours mid-size in the portable world and because of my back just built a flip-fold ramp and platform to park them in the front storage.

As with engineering, every problem can be solved multiple ways and solutions are driven by the need-want. No one way is the "right" way. Same goes for selecting what portable generator to buy because ALL have shortcomings. Every single design and brand on the market, which are also far fewer than people believe because of the magnitude of private labeling in the market space.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Yeah, I know... I was just giving my 2 cents. [emoji16]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    As with engineering, every problem can be solved multiple ways and solutions are driven by the need-want. No one way is the "right" way. Same goes for selecting what portable generator to buy because ALL have shortcomings. Every single design and brand on the market, which are also far fewer than people believe because of the magnitude of private labeling in the market space.
    Bring an engineer, my way is ALWAYS the right way, unless the wife corrects me. All joking aside, yes there are many ways to skin a cat(fish). All have pros and cons. The biggest con to mine is the 100 lbs weight.

I'm liking the idea of a ramp to put it into the front compartment!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful. Any thoughts on the EMS?
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast