User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning About 5th Wheel Hitches

Been doing a lot of reading and searching this forum and the net about 5th wheels & hitches for our eventual move up to the 337 and with our new Ram 3500 that we have talked about over on the tow vehicle part of the forum. I verified some of what I thought I knew but wasn't sure, like pucks, rails, heads, bases, pin boxes. Lions, Tigers & Bears - Oh My!

Was reading the book "Tow Your Fifth Wheel Trailer Like a Pro" by Lorrin Walsh. There was only one page dedicated to hitches and the rest dedicated to driving and turning. Seemed to me like he was in love with calculations and formulas on how to make a turn. Not a very good book, I thought.

Anyway the two hitches I found that will mate up to the Ram pucks is the B&W Companion BWRVK3600 and the Curt C16044-A20. Read the reviews on the sales web sites of those people that have bought either of them and they like or love them. The B&W hitch would be way overkill at 25K GTW and 6500 TW for the Reflection 337. But it would also work if we went up to the Solitude 3350RL. One guy advised to paint the back side of the jaws in a florescent color to easily identify they are closed and locked as well as looking at the handle. its height adjustment is 17-19 inches and can be adjusted fore or aft placement.

On the other hand I like the Curt A20 color coded locking indication green, yellow, red that you should be able to see from the cab. That maybe just fluff, only you guys that have one maybe can let me know about that. It seems the Curt has more height adjustment 14-18 inches than the B&W but I don't know if that would come into play. It can also be adjusted fore of aft. Both seem to have easy jaw lubrication and I could always get one of those lube plates, yes I read about those maybe causing jams.

Both seem to be pretty heavy and come a part in sections but web sites do not list the weight of the hitches. Well with our full timing the hitch probably wont come out of the bed anyway and the payload of our new Ram being 5,690# it wont be a problem with the hitch weight.
    Both are in the same price range $1000, with the B&W $200 more on E-trailer. To use another type of hitch I would need a rail adapter, I don't like that idea, and I don't want a goose neck. And I looked at the $2500 air ride, wow what a hitch.

So now if we go with the B&W or Curt route, then we need to look at the pin box side of things. On my Dad's 5th wheel 25+years ago the pin box could also be adjusted up or down to help set a level ride height. I don't know how much adjustment they have today. I don't know if that still is the case.

I looked a little at the Flex Air, Trail Air, Trail Saver & Air Safe and 5th AirBorne. Haven't really got a handle on those yet. Some how I need to get a handle on just how much height adjustment on both sides of the hitch & pin I'll need to get the 5th wheel set up level to the truck bed and then how much clearance I will have from the bed rails to the bottom of the RV. I guess the only way you can tell for sure is when you buy the 5th wheel and try it?

I have never had a 5th wheel, all my experience has been with TT or car trailers and those types of hitches, but I'm learning. Yes I know I will pretty much have to forget what I know about towing and turning a TT and experience maneuvering a 5th wheel. Yup the pivot point is in a different place. Lucky i have a 300 ft curvy drive way and 360 circle at the house to practice.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are adapters that work with the Ram puck system that will allow more choices. Reese makes an adapterto fit the pucks and uses a 5th wheel rail hitch, or slider. https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30154-F.../dp/B00GJX1L6Y

You are correct that the adjustments on the pin box can be made, however in most cases the hitch height adjustment is all you need, You will want a minimum of 6" between your bed rails and the underside of the 5er. 8" is even better. This allows you to go through dips and over bumps without having bed rail and 5er contact. You will want to try and have the truck and 5er level with each other if possible. I tow a tad nose high. I have a Reese R20 Titan hitch that I really like. All the moving points are isolated by bushing making the hitch silent with no bucking or chucking. It can be removed in three easy pieces. The BMW you mentioned is also a good unit. I do know much about the Curt but from looking at it I don't care for it with the jaw set up it has.

Hope this helps. If you have a chance walk around a campground sometime and ask folks about their set up.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Titan-3...th+wheel+hitch
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love our B&W Companion. Although not color coded it is very easy to visually verify that the jaws are closed (I still do a pull test anyway). I also use a pad lock to lock the release arm/jaws closed while traveling as our truck is often unattended during fuel stops - this is simple to do with most any padlock with the B&W. I am getting a great ride with the standard Lippert 1621 pin box that came on our camper. The only downside to the B&W is it’s weight. It takes two adults to get the hitch base out of the bed of the truck - I manage the hitch head on my own no problem. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Been doing a lot of reading and searching this forum and the net about 5th wheels & hitches for our eventual move up to the 337 and with our new Ram 3500 that we have talked about over on the tow vehicle part of the forum. I verified some of what I thought I knew but wasn't sure, like pucks, rails, heads, bases, pin boxes. Lions, Tigers & Bears - Oh My!

Was reading the book "Tow Your Fifth Wheel Trailer Like a Pro" by Lorrin Walsh. There was only one page dedicated to hitches and the rest dedicated to driving and turning. Seemed to me like he was in love with calculations and formulas on how to make a turn. Not a very good book, I thought.

Anyway the two hitches I found that will mate up to the Ram pucks is the B&W Companion BWRVK3600 and the Curt C16044-A20. Read the reviews on the sales web sites of those people that have bought either of them and they like or love them. The B&W hitch would be way overkill at 25K GTW and 6500 TW for the Reflection 337. But it would also work if we went up to the Solitude 3350RL. One guy advised to paint the back side of the jaws in a florescent color to easily identify they are closed and locked as well as looking at the handle. its height adjustment is 17-19 inches and can be adjusted fore or aft placement.

On the other hand I like the Curt A20 color coded locking indication green, yellow, red that you should be able to see from the cab. That maybe just fluff, only you guys that have one maybe can let me know about that. It seems the Curt has more height adjustment 14-18 inches than the B&W but I don't know if that would come into play. It can also be adjusted fore of aft. Both seem to have easy jaw lubrication and I could always get one of those lube plates, yes I read about those maybe causing jams.

Both seem to be pretty heavy and come a part in sections but web sites do not list the weight of the hitches. Well with our full timing the hitch probably wont come out of the bed anyway and the payload of our new Ram being 5,690# it wont be a problem with the hitch weight.
    Both are in the same price range $1000, with the B&W $200 more on E-trailer. To use another type of hitch I would need a rail adapter, I don't like that idea, and I don't want a goose neck. And I looked at the $2500 air ride, wow what a hitch.

So now if we go with the B&W or Curt route, then we need to look at the pin box side of things. On my Dad's 5th wheel 25+years ago the pin box could also be adjusted up or down to help set a level ride height. I don't know how much adjustment they have today. I don't know if that still is the case.

I looked a little at the Flex Air, Trail Air, Trail Saver & Air Safe and 5th AirBorne. Haven't really got a handle on those yet. Some how I need to get a handle on just how much height adjustment on both sides of the hitch & pin I'll need to get the 5th wheel set up level to the truck bed and then how much clearance I will have from the bed rails to the bottom of the RV. I guess the only way you can tell for sure is when you buy the 5th wheel and try it?

I have never had a 5th wheel, all my experience has been with TT or car trailers and those types of hitches, but I'm learning. Yes I know I will pretty much have to forget what I know about towing and turning a TT and experience maneuvering a 5th wheel. Yup the pivot point is in a different place. Lucky i have a 300 ft curvy drive way and 360 circle at the house to practice.
    Thanks for this thread we too are planning on a 337 but have not decided on a tow vehicle yet. I think at the end of the day it may come down to the F350 or the RAM 3500 - GM seems to be the highest price.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a TrailAir pinbox with a B&W Companion hitch in my Ram 3500 and sometimes forget the Reflection 337 is following along behind. Well - ok, I notice it takes longer to stop. This is the 3rd 5th wheel trailer my TrailAir pinbox has been on and there is a reason ..... it works! The B&W hitch replaced a 18k SuperGlide hitch that is now keeping 2 weight distribution hitches for travel trailers company in the storage bldg. I'm thinking about starting a collection!
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Anyway the two hitches I found that will mate up to the Ram pucks is the B&W Companion BWRVK3600 and the Curt C16044-A20....Both seem to have easy jaw lubrication and I could always get one of those lube plates, yes I read about those maybe causing jams.

Both seem to be pretty heavy and come a part in sections but web sites do not list the weight of the hitches.
    B&W RVK3600 Specs: http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/prod...nion-ram-pucks
    Base 138# + Coupler 75#

My B&W hasn't had any problem with standard lube plate. I had read about some hitches using brinkley holland couplers needing a thinner lube plate

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W is made in the USA, Curt is not.

90% of the RV delivery drivers have B&W hitches.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are looking at fixed hitches, going to assume it is a LB truck. If I was looking for a fixed hitch, that would be my first choice. I have owned some of their other products and have spent much time talking to them at SEMA over the years. Good people & a quality company.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the curt 16K slider with our '18 303RLS and '17 Ram 3500 short box, and are happy with it.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started out with an Andersen Ultimate rail mount in a GMC CC SB. It worked great - we just couldn't get the "picture frame" adapter to mount it in the Ford puck system in time when we traded trucks. We are very pleased with our 18K PullRite OE series hitch for the Ford puck system. It is used in conjunction with a Demco Glide Ride pin box and the combo is smooth and quiet. The PullRite hitch is quite heavy and sturdily built - but I don't have a need to remove it from the bed, either. It works well with a standard-thickness Teflon disk and the jaws are rock-solid.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast