User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slider Hitch Thoughts, Auto-Slide or Manual, Sought

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 short bed, factory OEM puck system. I also have a 2006 Dodge 2500 long bed tow vehicle. I am in the process of switching trucks for towing. I am a cheap, penny pinching miser (just ask my kids). I have spent hours talking myself out of the auto-slide due to cost and weight. Change my mind if you can.

I am now stuck on which manual slider brand to purchase, I really like the idea of being able to remove the hitch when not in use. The manual slider's weight is attractive both for removal and total weight when towing. There are several I am considering. Curt, B&W Companion and Reese. I prefer a unit built for the puck system and not one that requires a separately purchased "OEM frame" that you install a standard sliding hitch to. Adds weight and hassle. On the other hand, why shouldn't I spend the big bucks and go with the PullRite Super-Glide, damn the expense and extra weight?

So ladies and gentleman, what say you?
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugoutnut View Post
    I have a 2018 Ram 2500 short bed, factory OEM puck system. I also have a 2006 Dodge 2500 long bed tow vehicle. I am in the process of switching trucks for towing. I am a cheap, penny pinching miser (just ask my kids). I have spent hours talking myself out of the auto-slide due to cost and weight. Change my mind if you can.

I am now stuck on which manual slider brand to purchase, I really like the idea of being able to remove the hitch when not in use. The manual slider's weight is attractive both for removal and total weight when towing. There are several I am considering. Curt, B&W Companion and Reese. I prefer a unit built for the puck system and not one that requires a separately purchased "OEM frame" that you install a standard sliding hitch to. Adds weight and hassle. On the other hand, why shouldn't I spend the big bucks and go with the PullRite Super-Glide, damn the expense and extra weight?

I’ll vote for the Pullrite, I had a manual slide before and forgot to pull the lever ONE time, $800 damage to the cab.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I prefer the Curt manual. I have the A16 - it's a slider that I have only used twice. Once to test it, and once thinking it would help me when backing into the driveway (It didn't help. Actually damaged my tailgate). Easy to take in and out as it can be broken down to 2 pieces. Very solid unit.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the B&W manual slider for Ford pucks. The design of the jaws just made the hitch a joy to use. You can easily check for high-pinning as you can see the pin and jaws clearly from behind.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This right here might sway you one way or another......

We all have those "duh" moments - you know, the ones that wish we thought through or regret too late....

I vote for the slider. I've always used an automatic one. I'm lazy and now when I have one of those "duh" moments at least I can make a tight turn (U_turn usually) and have one less worry. Ya spent thousands on your rig and truck(s) so maybe another grand isn't such a bad thing.

I'd vote for a hitch with a wrap-around jaw. That comment will set off some replies. But I just like seeing that something is wrapped around and locked.

I'll support you which ever way you go.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make great points. There is 100k between the two rigs. I appreciate your support.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2021 GD 344GK-R
    PullRite Super 5th 24K
    2006 & 2018 Ram 2500, 5.9 Cummins Diesel
    Wife: Canadian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to get too far off topic here but...... I just had to chuckle a bit when I read your signature... wife: Canadian..... just never saw that before....

in case my DW ever reads this forum I'd have to put: wife: always pleasant... or is it always present? anyhow.... nice sig line!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugoutnut View Post

I wont attempt to change your mind at all. Hike your own hike, pull your own rig. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 F-250 6 3/4' bed. We chose a PullRite Superglide for the following reasons:

Pros:
    As a 1st time 5th wheel owner I wanted peace of mind in tight turns or backing to avoid contact with the truck cab.
    I live on a dead end street with a cul de sac which requires a very tight turn radius to turn around
    Absolute peace of mind when backing .
    Wife can jump in and back the rig without having to worry about getting out and manually having to release anything.
    When hitching, there is not doubt when the hitch locks in.

Cons
    You need to be within 10 degrees to hitch or unhitch
    Heavy
    Can be noisy, creaks a little.

Overall:
    I have found the hitch performs as advertised. I knew it was heavy when I did the research. Hitching and unhitching is easy and I absolutely enjoy not having to worry about cab contact. For us the PullRite was the right choice. Absolutely no regrets. YYMV

Edited to add. Everyone has bad days but I wanted to avoid this https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ut-rear-window
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 03-27-2021 at 07:07 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Wife can jump in and back the rig without having to worry about getting out and manually having to release anything."

Heh, heh, heh... That isn't going to happen anyway. Lol. I've suggested my wife learn to use the dump station and she suggested I find another wife.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    "Wife can jump in and back the rig without having to worry about getting out and manually having to release anything."

Heh, heh, heh... That isn't going to happen anyway. Lol. I've suggested my wife learn to use the dump station and she suggested I find another wife.
    My wife didn't suggest I find another wife for the dump station thing. She has dealt with that kind of thing for years - Nurse. She wants nothing to do with anything other than when we set up, doing the interior stuff - slides, awning, etc.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast