User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 29G Towing Issues

After a lot of searching for a TT that would haul my Polaris RZR 1000 XP two seater in a dedicated garage, 11', I bought a Momentum 29G. I am towing with a 2019 Chevy 3500 HD Duramax regular box 4x4. The dealership installed an equalizer hitch and I pulled the trailer home. It did not tow as smoothly as I had anticipated, but no big concern. On the 4th of July weekend, we loaded up our RZR and headed to the mountains. It was the shortest trip ever. After five miles, I turned around and went back to town. I virtually had no control of my steering over 50 mph.

I have since had the equalizer hitch adjusted and went for another test run to see if there was any improvement. Started swaying at 65 mph, not drive-able at 70 mph. I backed off and the swaying stopped when I slowed down to 55 mph. The 11' garage on the 29G is 100% behind the rear axle. GD has recommended I back into the garage. I will try this however, I don't expect there to be much improvement.

Is there anyone out there that is using this trailer for a full sized UTV? My RZR fully equipped weighs about 1,725.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a heavy RZR! Dry weight us usually in the 1,450 lb range. The issue it seems is you have too much weight behind the axles. You need to figure out a way to get more weight up front. If backing the RZR into the garage shifts more weight closer to the axles it will help. What's your tongue weight like? On a TT it should be a minimum of 10% of the total trailer weight fully loaded. More is better.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John (LV Naturist) is correct....back it in will help some, getting the heavier end of the RZR closer to the axles. I had a similar situation several years ago with a tow behind 34 1/2' toy hauler. I have just under 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue and the trailer sway was horrible. Some of the things I did to help get it under control was...
    1. Replaced the single 12V battery up front with two 6 volt batteries (over twice the weight of the single battery)
    2. Carried about 50 gallons of water in the fresh water tank. (The tank was forward biased of the trailer center...so some help there)
    3. Added two 60 lb sand tubes in a storage area in the front of the trailer (under the bed in the front)
    4. Don't laugh.......added a 35 lb barbell plate under my baggage compartment slider up front.

After doing these things, I did a CAT scale weigh in (three trips across the scales) and I got it to just under 12% of the trailer weight on the tongue.....and it towed really well. Use your imagination....I did, for adding weight up front because until you get enough tongue weight up there, it's going to sway.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Costy55 View Post
    After a lot of searching for a TT that would haul my Polaris RZR 1000 XP two seater in a dedicated garage, 11', I bought a Momentum 29G. I am towing with a 2019 Chevy 3500 HD Duramax regular box 4x4. The dealership installed an equalizer hitch and I pulled the trailer home. It did not tow as smoothly as I had anticipated, but no big concern. On the 4th of July weekend, we loaded up our RZR and headed to the mountains. It was the shortest trip ever. After five miles, I turned around and went back to town. I virtually had no control of my steering over 50 mph.

I have since had the equalizer hitch adjusted and went for another test run to see if there was any improvement. Started swaying at 65 mph, not drive-able at 70 mph. I backed off and the swaying stopped when I slowed down to 55 mph. The 11' garage on the 29G is 100% behind the rear axle. GD has recommended I back into the garage. I will try this however, I don't expect there to be much improvement.

Is there anyone out there that is using this trailer for a full sized UTV? My RZR fully equipped weighs about 1,725.
    We travel with the 29G pulling with a 2010 F350 SD 4x4. I load 2 Harley's in the back, 1 Ultra Limited on Street Glide, probably around to 1650-1700 lbs. When we bought the trailer the parts guy at Lazy Days recommended the E2 hitch and I am in love with this thing. It has an adjustable sway control. The first haul I had some pretty bad sway at first, pulled off the next ramp, tightened the sway control a little, no more sway at all. When I dont have the bikes I loosen the sway control a bit.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naanderson321 View Post
    We travel with the 29G pulling with a 2010 F350 SD 4x4. I load 2 Harley's in the back, 1 Ultra Limited on Street Glide, probably around to 1650-1700 lbs. When we bought the trailer the parts guy at Lazy Days recommended the E2 hitch and I am in love with this thing. It has an adjustable sway control. The first haul I had some pretty bad sway at first, pulled off the next ramp, tightened the sway control a little, no more sway at all. When I dont have the bikes I loosen the sway control a bit.
    I need to make a correction here, it is NOT an E2, that was my last WDH, this new one is a R3 by Eaz-Lift. Again this is a fantastic WDH.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have an e2
    No adjustment on this hitch

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were you able to resolve this issue? Concerning to me considering I have a 31G ordered and plan to haul our pretty highly modded Honda Talon. I never dreamed there would be any issues with one of these trailers considering the sizable amount of tongue weight.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design lists the dry weight of the 29G at 8700 lbs., w/ a hitch weight of 1500 lbs. ( 17.24 %) When equipped with generator, batteries, propane, 10 gallons of fuel & very little gear, my total trailer weight went up to 9,960 lbs.
    No RZR...………….2,080 lb. tongue weight...………...20.9%...………...9,960 lb. trailer weight
    RZR backed in...1,380 lb. tongue weight...………….11.8%...….…...11,700 lb. trailer weight
    Trailer pulled well with this configuration. I have some concern I will max out my GVWR, 12,000 lbs. when fully loaded with water, fuel RZR & personal gear. My RZR weighs 1,740 lbs. Weights done on CAT Scale
    Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design lists the dry weight of the 29G at 8700 lbs., w/ a hitch weight of 1500 lbs. ( 17.24 %) When equipped with generator, batteries, propane, 10 gallons of fuel & very little gear, my total trailer weight went up to 9,960 lbs.
    No RZR...………….2,080 lb. tongue weight...………...20.9%...………...9,960 lb. trailer weight
    RZR backed in...1,380 lb. tongue weight...………….11.8%...….…...11,700 lb. trailer weight
    Trailer pulled well with this configuration. I have some concern I will max out my GVWR, 12,000 lbs. when fully loaded with water, fuel RZR & personal gear. My RZR weighs 1,740 lbs. Weights done on CAT Scale
    Hope this helps
    Costy55
    I would love to know your process for the CAT scale weigh.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 3500 HD Duramax Regular Box Steer Axle 4,740#, Drive Axle 3,480#, Total weight of truck full fuel no occupants
    No RZR, no water, 10 gal fuel in fueling station, <50# gear, Steer Axle 4,260#, Drive Axle 5,560#, Trailer Axle 8,360#, Total Gross Weight 18,180#, Trailer Weight 9,960#
    RZR backed in, all else same as above Steer Axle 4,400#, Drive Axle 4,860#, Trailer Axle 10,660# Total Gross Weight 19,920#, Trailer Weight 11,700#
    E2 Equalizer Hitch, 12,000# square bars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast