User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I keep TT hitched overnight?

Just wondering if there’s a non-stupid way I can park overnight (RV site or rest area) without unhitching from my Ram 1500, so we can make a quick getaway next morning.

Thoughts?

Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff and Maureen
    Jersey Born and Raised
    2021 Ram 1500 5.7L, 3.92 Axle Ratio
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboleske View Post
    Just wondering if there’s a non-stupid way I can park overnight (RV site or rest area) without unhitching from my Ram 1500, so we can make a quick getaway next morning.

Thoughts?

Thanks folks.

Yes, you can. Most parking lots are decently level. We've done it with both o6ut travel trailer and our fifth wheel.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 06-13-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do it often when traveling to site that is more then a day away. I also drop the jack to relieve a bit of pressure on the TV suspension. Not much, just a little. I also drop the stabilizers with a pad between the asphalt.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how level you can park. How much room do you have to put slide(s) out etc..... Generally yes but sometimes it might be better to drop and pull out from under it. Each situation is different.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I can always rely on our community to respond. My main concern is stress on the hitch receiver and truck suspension. Is it better to use leveling blocks under truck rear wheels than rely on tongue Jack. Or use both? (For situation where there’s a bit of a downward slope)

Thanks gang!

Jeff and Maureen
    Jersey Born and Raised
    2021 Ram 1500 5.7L, 3.92 Axle Ratio
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not worry too much about stress on the receiver and suspension, especially just for an overnighter. It gets a lot worse done to it when driving down the road.
    We usually lower the front jack (tongue jack when we had a TT, landing gear in our 5er) to take a few hundred pounds off the truck just to make the rig more stable when we walk around. If I were in an unlevel parking lot, I would probably try and park it so that my head was higher when I sleep, but that's a personal preference. If it were more than a few inches then I would probably park so that the front was on the downward slope and raise the jack up until it was more level (lifting it off the ball) so it I could just lower it in the morning and hit the road. Remember to chock the tires (and I'd put the truck in neutral and let the RV roll it's weight onto the chocks). I'll admit I've never been in a parking lot that unlevel though.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I would not worry too much about stress on the receiver and suspension, especially just for an overnighter. It gets a lot worse done to it when driving down the road.
    We usually lower the front jack (tongue jack when we had a TT, landing gear in our 5er) to take a few hundred pounds off the truck just to make the rig more stable when we walk around. If I were in an unlevel parking lot, I would probably try and park it so that my head was higher when I sleep, but that's a personal preference. If it were more than a few inches then I would probably park so that the front was on the downward slope and raise the jack up until it was more level (lifting it off the ball) so it I could just lower it in the morning and hit the road. Remember to chock the tires (and I'd put the truck in neutral and let the RV roll it's weight onto the chocks). I'll admit I've never been in a parking lot that unlevel though.
    Exactly

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Exactly

X2

Oldcow

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two concerns.
    1. Your comfort level. Are yoiu OK with some movement? If not then some stabilization will need to take place,
    2. Level. Be sure you are level enough so as not to damage the fridge.... If you can be comfortable, it is likely OK. Just don't try to prove you can tough out an uncomfortable situation for one night. Your wallet will thank you.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We do it often when traveling to site that is more then a day away. I also drop the jack to relieve a bit of pressure on the TV suspension. Not much, just a little. I also drop the stabilizers with a pad between the asphalt.

This is one of the reasons we like our Snap Pads so much, the pad is already on the stabilizer and we just have to drop the stabilizers and go inside for dinner and sleep.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast