User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run somewhere between 300 and 500 million square feet of commercial grade TPO off my lines annually. Point 1) Alpha must prove you didn't use their sealant should you take it up to arbitration or court. Point 2) it's a material warranty and nothing more, and properly manufactured TPO is not going to fail in 12 years. There will most likely be a workmanship issue or an oops that causes need for roof replacement. My final point, TPO is not expensive material. I see Alpha sell their uber thin material for about $1.15/sq. ft., which is double the cost to produce. You can get commercial, 20mil TPO for $1/sq.ft.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alpha Sealant is currently sold on Amazon, in White, Black and Gray.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I run somewhere between 300 and 500 million square feet of commercial grade TPO off my lines annually. Point 1) Alpha must prove you didn't use their sealant should you take it up to arbitration or court. Point 2) it's a material warranty and nothing more, and properly manufactured TPO is not going to fail in 12 years. There will most likely be a workmanship issue or an oops that causes need for roof replacement. My final point, TPO is not expensive material. I see Alpha sell their uber thin material for about $1.15/sq. ft., which is double the cost to produce. You can get commercial, 20mil TPO for $1/sq.ft.
    So, with your experience, warranty issues aside, do you feel the Dicor Self Leveling sealant can be used on Alpha Systems Superflex TPO roof membrane? Is there an an issue with it bonding? Will it deteriorate the Alpha membrane?

Since materials only warranty, it doesn't sound like the warranty is of much value anyway. I have used the Dicor on several other trailers with good results, and have several tubes of it and really don''t want to buy any Alpha sealant if necessary.

And I wonder how you document quarterly inspections. Maybe a picture of you inspecting the roof holding a copy of a current newspaper??? Who knows.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    So, with your experience, warranty issues aside, do you feel the Dicor Self Leveling sealant can be used on Alpha Systems Superflex TPO roof membrane? Is there an an issue with it bonding? Will it deteriorate the Alpha membrane?

Since materials only warranty, it doesn't sound like the warranty is of much value anyway. I have used the Dicor on several other trailers with good results, and have several tubes of it and really don''t want to buy any Alpha sealant if necessary.

And I wonder how you document quarterly inspections. Maybe a picture of you inspecting the roof holding a copy of a current newspaper??? Who knows.
    Very broadly speaking, the issue is mainly around bonding. Some sealants have a formulation that is self-etching/self-priming, others do not and require a primer. Most manufacturers will have verified 1-step/1-part sealants tested to be compatible. They cannot/will not pay to have everyone's tested, especially those from the competing market space - business is business. Thickness and anti-oxidant package added to make the membrane are major considerations as well. For instance, the 1-part lapping compound for my commercial roofing would deteriorate the thin TPO used in RV applications. This is why every manufacturer will tell you to stick to their accessory line.

That said, know that Dicor isn't just Dicor. They have different sealant lines, and I believe all of the own TPO products specify their "ultra" line. I can tell you from memory that the forums on the net have reported bonding issues with "regular" Dicor when installed on virgin TPO. However, when you're dressing roofs yearly, you're generally not applying to TPO at all but over prior sealant and therefore the bond is sealant-to-sealant, which is why you will always hear "never had a problem."

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    My final point, TPO is not expensive material. I see Alpha sell their uber thin material for about $1.15/sq. ft., which is double the cost to produce. You can get commercial, 20mil TPO for $1/sq.ft.
    I’m glad someone brought up how thin that stuff is.

I’ll add that if you always have your maintenance done by the same dealer, and you consistently have them perform all maintenance on time, it would likely be them fighting with Alpha to get material money back. This in the rare situation of a membrane failure vice damage or sealant failure.

Good information from the OP, but with a lot of stuff on Amazon counterfeit, I’m going to use what works, even if it doesn’t say ‘Alpha’ on it. Somewhere on here someone broke down the chemistry of the different sealants.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Gough View Post
    I believe most of Grand Design units these days have an Alpha Systems Superflex TPO roof membrane. Alpha has a warranty that extends for 12 plus years. You should read the warranty found at AlphaSystemsLLC.com You will find that you could void your warranty or be denied a claim if you use other than an a Alpha product as a component this includes sealants. On their informational sites they say in bold text “ONLY ALPHA BRAND SEALANT CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH ALPHA ROOF MEMBRANE”. The other item to make note of is that the roof must be inspected at least every quarter and the inspection must be documented.

Under the Magnuson and Moss act, they can not require you to use a specific product unless they supply it! The only exception is if nothing else will work as a sealant on this roof. Since some on here have used Dicor with no problems, I would say they would have to honor the warranty and would lose any lawsuit filed! I have experienced this with several companies wanting to require you to use their product or service! If you mention the Magnuson and Moss act they back up very quickly!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I’m glad someone brought up how thin that stuff is.

I’ll add that if you always have your maintenance done by the same dealer, and you consistently have them perform all maintenance on time, it would likely be them fighting with Alpha to get material money back. This in the rare situation of a membrane failure vice damage or sealant failure.

Good information from the OP, but with a lot of stuff on Amazon counterfeit, I’m going to use what works, even if it doesn’t say ‘Alpha’ on it. Somewhere on here someone broke down the chemistry of the different sealants.
    Just to add a little information to the mix... There are two RV reroofing outfits that use the 20mil TPO in the US that I know well. They do everything like a miniature commercial installation and one of the two's attention to detail and ancillary conditions is second to none! The aftermarket installation they do is how it should be factory, but it costs more and takes more to detail with curb and welded counter-flashing... The RV manufacturers can't even get the proper side up for the decking to bond the membrane too (yes, it is specific).

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the DIYers. Be careful choosing roof sealants

Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Under the Magnuson and Moss act, they can not require you to use a specific product unless they supply it! The only exception is if nothing else will work as a sealant on this roof. Since some on here have used Dicor with no problems, I would say they would have to honor the warranty and would lose any lawsuit filed! I have experienced this with several companies wanting to require you to use their product or service! If you mention the Magnuson and Moss act they back up very quickly!
    The Dicor doesn’t necessarily cause problems but it will severely bubble the roofing material

Most don’t have an issue because they are mostly applying it on top of sealant with very little perhaps landing on the roof material

When I changed my vent on my Jayco they recommended to use Dicor even though it bubbled the material a lot
    It is alarming at first but after a few days it laid smooth

In Canada getting alpha is an expensive process. I will just use Dicor for maintenance

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-31-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The Dicor doesn’t necessarily cause problems but it will severely bubble the roofing material

Most don’t have an issue because they are mostly applying it on top of sealant with very little perhaps landing on the roof material

When I changed my vent on my Jayco they recommended to use Dicor even though it bubbled the material a lot
    It is alarming at first but after a few days it laid smooth

In Canada getting alpha is an expensive process. I will just use Dicor for maintenance

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

I got my Momentum in Aug of 2020, The first thing I did was install a Winegard Trav'lr on the roof. I had not heard about the Alpha situation, so I used Dicor. It worked fine with NO bubbling etc. Next up was adding more solar panels. By then I was aware of the issue and, even though my Dealer gave me a blank stare and stated they only use Dicor.. I ordered the Alpha stuff and used it. It looked, smelled, flowed and setup the same as the Dicor. I think it is the same stuff in a different package.
    Both of these installs were on virgin roof material, as there was not old caulk being new installs. No problems whatsoever.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have used both. The dicor looks, flows, smells, and sets up the same as the Alpha. I think it is the same stuff. I seriously doubt anyone could point to the dicor on my roof out of the alpha.

BTW, I got a blank stare at the dealer when I tried to buy some Alpha from them. They only use and sell Dicor.
    Exactly...what will a dealer do...send off a sample of your sealant to a lab for inspection?
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast