Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the DIYers. Be careful choosing roof sealants

I believe most of Grand Design units these days have an Alpha Systems Superflex TPO roof membrane. Alpha has a warranty that extends for 12 plus years. You should read the warranty found at AlphaSystemsLLC.com You will find that you could void your warranty or be denied a claim if you use other than an a Alpha product as a component this includes sealants. On their informational sites they say in bold text “ONLY ALPHA BRAND SEALANT CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH ALPHA ROOF MEMBRANE”. The other item to make note of is that the roof must be inspected at least every quarter and the inspection must be documented.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha needs to make their product more widely available and at a comparable cost to Dicor

3 times the cost over Dicor. No excuse for that

Companies need to step up

But on my last trailer Jayco ,Jayco said to use Dicor. They informed me that the roofing would bubble which it did but settle in time. Which it did

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-27-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Alpha needs to make their product more widely available and at a comparable cost to Dicor

3 times the cost over Dicor. No excuse for that

Companies need to step up

But on my last trailer Jayco ,Jayco said to use Dicor. They informed me that the roofing would bubble which it did but settle in time. Which it did

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It looks like Lippert is carrying official Alpha System products now.

https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    It looks like Lippert is carrying official Alpha System products now.

https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems
    Yes I knew that unfortunately shipping to Canada is costly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately claims personnel are heartless. I speak from much experience. I’m thinking of writing a book titled: Know what your getting into before you purchase an RV.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Gough View Post
    I believe most of Grand Design units these days have an Alpha Systems Superflex TPO roof membrane. Alpha has a warranty that extends for 12 plus years. You should read the warranty found at AlphaSystemsLLC.com You will find that you could void your warranty or be denied a claim if you use other than an a Alpha product as a component this includes sealants. On their informational sites they say in bold text “ONLY ALPHA BRAND SEALANT CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH ALPHA ROOF MEMBRANE”. The other item to make note of is that the roof must be inspected at least every quarter and the inspection must be documented.
    The following link is from the Alpha systems home page. I recommend everyone read the Alpha warranty information. It is an interesting read.

https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...d-Warranty.pdf
    Last edited by Always Learning; 03-27-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also FYI - there apparently is (or at least was) a lot of Alpha sealant sold on Amazon that Alpha says was counterfeit. Unclear exactly how, but there were examples of almost-but-not-quite labels, etc. Apparently real Alpha sealants have an expiration date. Maybe the Amazon stock was expired, and re-labeled?
    Between throwing away what apparently were counterfeits, and the expired tubes from my stock, and the hard-to-get nature, I've kind of given up.
    My dealer, that generally is excellent, was unaware of the warning not to use other brands, and noted that since they started as one of the first GD dealers in the country they have only used Dicor. I did too on a few small areas, and haven't noticed any issues there or where the dealer did same when they added on vent fans before we bought it. So no warranty claim for me, but at least my roof stays sealed.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Also FYI - there apparently is (or at least was) a lot of Alpha sealant sold on Amazon that Alpha says was counterfeit. Unclear exactly how, but there were examples of almost-but-not-quite labels, etc. Apparently real Alpha sealants have an expiration date. Maybe the Amazon stock was expired, and re-labeled?
    Between throwing away what apparently were counterfeits, and the expired tubes from my stock, and the hard-to-get nature, I've kind of given up.
    My dealer, that generally is excellent, was unaware of the warning not to use other brands, and noted that since they started as one of the first GD dealers in the country they have only used Dicor. I did too on a few small areas, and haven't noticed any issues there or where the dealer did same when they added on vent fans before we bought it. So no warranty claim for me, but at least my roof stays sealed.
    No dealers around here carry alpha sealant either. Only Dicor.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought and used Super Flex Total Protection self-leveling sealant by Alpha Systems at Camping World in the past:

https://www.campingworld.com/super-f...ite-80294.html
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I have bought and used Super Flex Total Protection self-leveling sealant by Alpha Systems at Camping World in the past:

https://www.campingworld.com/super-f...ite-80294.html
    I've been using this for the past year with no issues. Definitely not the cheapest, but seems to work well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast