Thread: Pricing

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pricing

Hi there,

We are in the market and hope to purchase in the very near future. We know time of year plays a part in pricing so we understand this is not optimum timing. We also know that Grand Design is not a giant conglomerate that takes shortcuts as well as their reputation for build and service after purchase.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

With that being said, what are some fair ideas on pricing? I've heard everything from 25-28%, and even 30%, for products like Forest River and Keystone during late fall, winter and RV show times. But.....what about GD? I understand all units are different. I understand many other variables come into play. The biggest one for us? Dealer!!!! Can we live with the dealer after the purchase? We think we have found that from either dealer we will make offers too.

Where did you start your negotiations from? Did you go in thinking $$$ figure or % off MSRP? We aren't newbies, but we are newbies to the 5ver world and excited to possibly transition this into retirement.

Thanks for your time.

Jim and Pam

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pricing

Use the internet and demand their best price. Call them if they won’t give it over the net

The closer to Indiana generally means cheaper prices

One of the biggest costs is transportation so driving yourself can save thousands vs buying “local”

You never said where you are from

In Canada where I am I researched for months before purchasing. It became evident that Lazy acres in Orillia was the the cheapest dealer. Made a deal and drove 1300km with zero negotiations

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shopped across the country and got a local dealer to match. Regarding build quality and pdi blah blah blah....learn from me, do your PDI! spend time and look over things really well. I was shocked how many items i found on my pdi and it was evident that the PDI at the factory was "pencil-whipped" and at the dealer the same. So far customer service from GD in dealing with these issues has been helpful...had it not been for that, i would be completely turned off to the brand and wouldnt purchase another GD product. I sold a perfectly fine Outdoors Rv unit to upgrade in size and decided on GD vs staying with that brand over interior aesthetics....well even the previous brand that i owned had some fit and finish issues, but nothing compared to the quantity of items found on our new Gd trailer. In fact im towing it back in the next couple of days to the dealer where we purchased it from. Our recent shake down trip revealed electrical issues (converter inop, possible issues with outlets not being wired properly) and on top of that...plenty of trim issues etc. Do not trust GD and or any brand when it comes to marketing what they do to make the trailer ready for you the consumer, and def do not trust the selling dealer. From my experience, Rv dealers are even lower in ethics and morality then automotive dealers
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie - Cummins
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!!!

Thanks for such an honest, detailed response. My first priority has been the actual dealer and what they can offer, service reputatation. etc. I love the fact the GD will cover mobile repairs. Our 2nd priority is the basement which has landed us on the 380FL or 390RK. I was honestly not sold on a particular brand but did want to avoid Thor and Forest River, if possible. I have been to 11 or 12 dealerships and I new immediately that I was walking right back out in 10 of them. Most of these salesman are kids that know less than most of us that are buying, lol.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a 320G a little over a month ago, and was able to get 28% off. It actually comes out a little better with what they are giving me on my trade in.

As far as quality, I have owned other brands, and this is my first GD. I expect GD to be better (especially for the price), but in the current push out what they can, as fast as they can, in the current buying frenzy, I keep reading of more issue's with new GD trailers. At least more than what it use to be. A good PDI and a good dealer should help with that.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't expect GD to be any better than the rest. It's no different than any other brand from Indiana. Spend enough time on here and you'll see the problems they can have. Lots of the problems are from the supply brands they use and GD screws up too.
    It's sad that buyers have to rely on the after purchase experience to feel good.
    As far as pricing goes, you'll have to deal with multiple dealers to get a decent price. GD doesn't allow dealers to advertise low pricing. Scour the net and you'll see most dealers show discounted pricing. GD dealers will show pricing for models that have been on their lots for a while but not on just arrived units. Now there are cases where some dealers post a price but not nearly as common as with other brands.
    This helps to keep GD prices higher as many new buyers don't have a reference when negotiating.

I think you'll find GD takes as many shortcuts as the rest. It's how they make money.