User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailers with long overhangs will always have this problem. I prefer a skid plate over a roller. Any kind of roller will hang down and be a catch point. Also, you can lose some of that precious ground clearance by hanging a roller lower than needed. A roller recessed in a skid plate would be ideal, but let's not get carried away.

I would suggest going to a welding/fab shop. Have them extend the frame rails if necessary and add heavy skid plates. The idea is that the skid plate will make contact first and nothing "soft" or "catchy" (like stabilizers) hangs below the line from the rear tire to the skid plate. When you approach the steep spot, the skid plate will make a smooth engagement with the ground and lift the rear of the trailer slightly until you are clear.

Yes, it makes a terrible noise and yes, you are dragging your trailer through the hump or trough. But if the plate is tough, there will be no damage... much better than the carnage of ripping of all the important stuff back there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get 2" lift blocks for leaf springs on ebay for $35.00. Some longer u bolts easy fix.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellboy View Post
    We have a 2670MK imagine. Does any body else have problems with the rear of trailer scraping their driveway? Our drive is not sloped much at all but on maiden trip it scraped and tore off spare tire and bent rear stabilizers. Took both off and now lay 2x4s down each time we back in or pull out. Does anybody have a solution for this problem? Hope so. Thanks, Mike
    Is this with our without your weight distribution hooked up? Leaving it off until you are out of the driveway should gain you a few inches of clearance.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had this problem many moon's ago. We had wheels welded to the back end. When it would hit the ground, would just keep on rolling. Good luck!!
    Not all that wander are lost!! (Thank you Waze!!)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to chime in with my experience, I had an Aerolite 19FL with torsion suspension (so no real options available to lift). I loved that trailer, it was very low to the ground, easy to tow, very low wind resistance. I towed it 9500 miles on one trip with my V6 4Runner, and it was very stable. During that trip I drove out of a parking lot with a low curb after stopping at a visitor center and destroyed my sewer pipe for both tanks. I was lucky that the tanks were empty at the time. I had a difficult time finding a shop that could do the repair quickly, but found one in Ft. Collins, CO where my girlfriend's son lives. So, we made an unexpected detour and had it repaired in a couple of days. Needless to say, I was very aware since that incident of the terrain ahead!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have brain damaged a couple of stabilizers fortunately it hasn't been a problem in our driveway which has only a slight upward grade (a gutter however is another story). The one time I was concerned about dragging was when we filled the fresh water tank for one trip (plus our usual load out) and the trailer seemed to sit lower at the rear.

I am curious about how your spare tire is mounted, on our 2020 2670MK it is mounted above the rear bumper next to the ladder. You didn't mention your model year but it sounds like your spare is (was) mounted below the frame?

From what I've found out the 2670 is light on the hitch from the factory so that may have contributed somewhat to the tail dragging on your driveway. We've added a 2 bike rack above the propane tanks to add another 100+ pounds to the hitch weight which seems to help our overall ride too.

Good luck!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled a 1987 Layton travel trailer for 25 years. Year one I bought 8 inch industrial steel casters that I clamped to the rear of the I-Beam frame. I went through two sets of rear jacks before I finally got the casters.

I realize that trailers are higher off the ground now than when we had ours but the longer the trailer, the greater the chance of dragging the pavement, especially on gas station driveways...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123