User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

This is the first trailer we’ve owned with leaf spring suspension. Early into ownership I read here and elsewhere that the nylon bushings might last one season. I didn’t feel comfortable with that plus I was hoping to get a little smoother ride with all the pot holes. Last spring I upgraded to what’s in my signature and have been satisfied. However, during my research I didn’t come across what symptoms to look for that it’s time to change them.
    That is the rub.
    The only way to tell if there is some wear is to disassemble them. At that point you might as well replace them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got ours in December and have yet to have our maiden voyage. In the meantime weather permitting I have been upgrading and tweaking a number of things. Ours is one year old and from what the previous owner told me, it went on a 4500 mile trip to the southern states last year.

First off. We’re parked on the side driveway. Easy access. Spent a few days inspecting inside and out. Even though the dealer claimed it was winterized I did it anyway. Found a couple of fitting leaks. Found some loose screws. Awning light wire was being pinched, installed a small wire clamp to stop that.

Nylon bushings. Most were already worn through or getting there. Noticed that when I installed the Road Armor and wet bolts and beefed up shackles. Did that in conjunction with bearing repack and since everything was apart, replaced brake assembly’s with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust.

A note on the brakes. We went for a 200 mile drive in January just because and I wanted some hill towing experience. Didn’t feel like the trailer brakes were preforming like I thought they should. I honestly don’t think the previous owner had a brake controller because they looked hardy used. Last week I took it out to burnish the shoes and let the self adjust do it’s work. Plus hit the CAT scale for initial weigh and and two reweighs with WD off and truck only. We’ve loaded the rig with “most” items so that is our start package. The difference in braking is now great! They probably weren’t properly adjusted. Didn’t bother to check because I knew they were being replaced.

From the initial 200 mile run to the run last week, the ride is smoother by far. Handling much improved and I’ve already mentioned the braking improvement.

I’m an old aircraft guy. Used to be, whatever I worked on, I flew in it afterwards. I tend to be a little overreaching when I do maintenance or repairs. Even simple oil changes can evolve into other preventive maintenance items.
    Last edited by BobinICT; 03-28-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my new trailer in November and have only taken it on two trips so far for a total of about 700 miles. I installed the CRE3000 and shackles last week and the nylon bushings were already worn through. I immediately felt a difference in ride quality after the upgrade.
    ‘21 Momentum 31G

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, torque your lug nuts before every trip.
    Harry C
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2015 F350
    Formerly: Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123