User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade to Litium Batteries

Got tired of filling the water, making sure I didn't fall below 50% charge, and the gassing of the lead acid bateries. So, I decided it was time for a change.

I installed 4 Battle Born batteries vertically against the back wall of my front compartment. My inverter is mounter at the top of the box. I built the box out of a sheet of MDF plywood and went to the local Line-X dealer. For $100, they coated the whole box. The batteries are secured by horizontal 1" Velcro straps. In case I have to brake sharply, I installed vertical threaded rods (covered with plastic tubing). I used a connector in order to split the rod in 2 pieces, so I may remove the rods and a battery. I had custom made cabling so there would be no looping in the cables. Finally, I ordered online a 1/4 x 3/4 brass bar (the same size and material that battle born uses for the battery posts). I used them in the 4 areas that needed a 90° angle turn. I covered those pieces with heat shrink tubing.

I now have 4X the available power that I had with 4 6-volt batteries. Another plus is that the weight of the lithium batteries is only 31 pounds each!!!

The cost is upfront but the batteries come with a 10 year guarantee, the first 8 years the batteries have 100% replacement coverage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	25854
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had you already switched out the converter/charger to a lithium-compatible model?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek20 View Post
    Got tired of filling the water, making sure I didn't fall below 50% charge, and the gassing of the lead acid bateries. So, I decided it was time for a change. I installed 4 Battle Born batteries vertically against the back wall of my front compartment. My inverter is mounter at the top of the box. I built the box out of a sheet of MDF plywood and went to the local Line-X dealer. For $100, they coated the whole box. The batteries are secured by horizontal 1" Velcro straps. In case I have to brake sharply, I installed vertical threaded rods (covered with plastic tubing). I used a connector in order to split the rod in 2 pieces, so I may remove the rods and a battery. I had custom made cabling so there would be no looping in the cables. Finally, I ordered online a 1/4 x 3/4 brass bar (the same size and material that battle born uses for the battery posts). I used them in the 4 areas that needed a 90° angle turn. I covered those pieces with heat shrink tubing. I now have 4X the available power that I had with 4 6-volt batteries. Another plus is that the weight of the lithium batteries is only 31 pounds each!!! The cost is upfront but the batteries come with a 10 year guarantee, the first 8 years the batteries have 100% replacement coverage.

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	25854
    Consider looking at the link below offering advice about interconnecting multiple batteries.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Second Chance , he might not have to swap out the converter. A lot of inverters out there have a charger function built into them. I dont know which inverter he is using, so it may or may not have that capability.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job!!!!!
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Had you already switched out the converter/charger to a lithium-compatible model?

Rob
    Yep that was the least of my cost. Less than $250
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough height in compartment
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the horizontal battery club. I love the flexibility that Lithium batteries give.

Name:	Inverter Project front .jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	25929
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight vs FLA is insane. I installed my 10 kWh of Lithium for the same weight as 4x GC2 lead acid batteries. But get over 4x the usable power, no maintenance, and better reliability and lifespan.

Name:	1 Quattro installed.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25930
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast