User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    All you can find is the call-in/fill out forms campgrounds because that's all that is left. All the ones that accept online reservations have been swarmed by bots buying up all the sites.
    Interesting. If there are bots buying up all the sites, they would be to benefit of resellers, no? Where is the secondary market? I'm aware of how it happens with a more consolidated reservations system or with physical goods but having a hard time conceptualizing how this would work on NP or SP. Or is it just a KOA/Jellystone/Wallycamping sort of thing? Its all supply and demand. Not opposed to paying extra on a secondary market, nor employing a bot myself if I can arrange. Thankfully, my book as soon as the booking window is open has served me well and we have all of our 8 long weekend trips planned for this year except for the October which window opens in 2 weeks.
    -Rob M

2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE "Wanda Travelmor"
    Everything we wanted in a trailer, nothing we didn't.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started planning a 6-week trip back in November. Our first choice cg in Moab was full so it was Plan B. The Grand Canyon Railway is running at 30% capacity and the bus tours are cancelled.

NY State parks usually have a 9-month reservation window but they opened up 2021 reservations early. We were lucky enough to get 13 nights at out favorite campground.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I had never heard of HH so I googled it. Looks interesting. BUT, in reference to your extended stays comment, the website says you are expected to only stay one night. So I'm thinking you would need to ask ahead of time?
    Yes or be invited. Once you join and get logged in to the HH web site, you can select individual hosts sites and some contain this kind of information on offerings. Some HH offer their guest extended stays while helping out on their farm, ranch or business like a winery, or other business during harvest time. A couple ladies traveling together have a U-tube channel where they document their "jobs" taking care of chickens, and other animals on a farm. But you are correct most HH offer just over night stays. A nice one (I hear) in northern Indiana is on the old Grissom Air Force base near Peru Indiana where you park over night in a parking lot boondocking and you can take advantage of the air museum there.
    The one we are staying at on our trip coming up in TN offers full hook ups over night but for a modest fee while other host sites are boondocking/just a place to park over night.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about travelling on the fly in the southern states during winter? Is that also becoming an issue?

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    What about travelling on the fly in the southern states during winter? Is that also becoming an issue?

Oldcow
    This thread is interesting to me and a little worrisome, I guess it depends on where you're trying to stay. I leave next week for a 2 week trip to Disney World and booked 8 nights at Ft Wilderness back in January with no problem at all, thanks Covid! It totally slipped my mind to book 2 nights at KOA's for the trip down. I literally called the KOA in Baton Rouge and the one in Tallahassee about 10 days ago. Got pull thru sites at both for about $50 a night with KOA membership discount. They both said no problem, they would no where near full. Nice! Guess I dodged a bullet and won't have to do the rest area thing.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This winter in the south there have been openings. without the Canadians it has opened things up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I had never heard of HH so I googled it. Looks interesting. BUT, in reference to your extended stays comment, the website says you are expected to only stay one night. So I'm thinking you would need to ask ahead of time?
    You can make a reservation as soon as the night before in most places. Our extended week long stays are spaced out with travel time of day 300 miles or 6 hours. This way we leisurely leave have plotted a HH site close to our destination and
    Go there for the overnight. Completely boondocks but can spread out and open the slides but leave the trailer hitched.

The next day we visit our HH site for the morning and get to our week long site early afternoon fresh , no long drive and not rushed for setup by darkness

Works out great for us plus the HH sites have been great places .... all of them and are so unique

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    This winter in the south there have been openings. without the Canadians it has opened things up.
    Ya...we're up here freezin' rub it in.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been camping in Oregon and Washington all of last year during covid. Many of our stays were at our "home parks" at the Oregon Coast and in Central Oregon. We used our RPI membership to get a spot near Mt Rainier in Sept of 2020. Camped near John Day, Oregon twice for almost a week each time.

In early 2022 we go full time. My wife wants to go to MI to visit family. I think we will go to IN and visit the MORryde facility and get IS plus disc brakes installed. We are looking forward to use the Harvest Host, RPI, ROD and Passport America memberships as we travel. The Solitude has a nice lithium battery bank of 400AH and a bit of solar, so can go without hookup sometimes.
    Safe travels, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    This thread is interesting to me and a little worrisome, I guess it depends on where you're trying to stay. I leave next week for a 2 week trip to Disney World and booked 8 nights at Ft Wilderness back in January with no problem at all, thanks Covid! It totally slipped my mind to book 2 nights at KOA's for the trip down. I literally called the KOA in Baton Rouge and the one in Tallahassee about 10 days ago. Got pull thru sites at both for about $50 a night with KOA membership discount. They both said no problem, they would no where near full. Nice! Guess I dodged a bullet and won't have to do the rest area thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Also many who winter over in Florida & the Gulf coast are heading north. I saw it these last few weeks where I was staying in Brunswick, Ga. Fortunately I had presence of mind to plan my route home early (I'm on the road now ). A National Park Recreation area along the lower Outer Banks I frequented each spring and fall for the last three years was pretty much booked except for FF sites. I couldn't put two nights together at a campground I never saw more than 2/3 full even on weekends.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast