User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel generator onboard Solitude

So, I have now "crossed over" and own a new 2019 Solitude 2930RL S-Class trailer (our first fifth wheel). This is my second post so please be gentle as the wife and I are total greenhorns. My question:

Does anyone have experience with a DIESEL generator in their fifth-wheel trailer? I would prefer diesel to propane (and I did order the factory prep for a genny) due to it's low usage rate and to protect my propane supply. But I'm wondering about the fuel tank for this. If anyone has a setup like this, I'd be interested to hear the details about brand of unit (I'm leaning towards Onan), size and, especially, location and volume of fuel supply.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mike
    Mike & Gina
    w/Three Furry Friends
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    2016 Ram 3500 Diesel SRW, SWB
    Pullrite 2700 (16K) Superglide
    Transfer Flow 40gal Aux tank (TRAX3)
    Solitude S-Class 2930RL

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a great question Mike. When ever I see people running with a propane generator I wonder how long it will last before a refill is needed. But my good friend Paul @Poppy's 5th Wheel has camped beside us in cool weather with his propane generator, and his seems to last much longer than I'd anticipate.

I don't know if there are any diesel generator owners on the forum, so it will be interesting to see if any weigh in.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 03-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are at least two people (I know @Nuffsaid has a Solitude 310GK) that have diesel gensets. Hopefully they will chime in. One think to check is the weight. In general, diesels are heavier then gas/propane engines, but I do not know how much difference there is. The other is maintenance. Diesel fuel will gel at lower temps (depending on the when the fuel is purchased and your area the gel point will vary) and you have to watch for algae growth is stored/not used for a while. On the other hand gasoline will go "bad" if left to set and propane does not have as much energy (uses more fuel). So all have pros and cons. If you plan to run the genset at higher altitude (above 5,000 feet), watch the derating factor, you may need a larger genset or limit your electrical usage. This applies to all gensets.

Good luck.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-23-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I never seriously considered a diesel powered unit but I did some research on both gas and diesel. I didn't want to manage storage of either fuels. In addition the generators run so much cleaner on propane. One thing that definitely turned me off from diesel was when I was camped next to a Class A with a diesel gennie and I really hated the smell and fumes. They are clearly more fuel efficient but there are trade offs to consider. I will add that in almost 4 years I only have 110 hours of run time because I rely much more on solar than generator but I would never go back to carry out units.

I will be looking forward to comments from diesel owners though because I am curious how they installed them.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Solitude 2930 is too small for a diesel generator. I doubt you have room for a gasoline generator either.

As previously mentioned, many now are using solar power with roof mounted units. And many owners have a portable inverter generator for power--or even two 2000 watt units joined together. The inverter units are so quiet, efficient and inexpensive that a built in Onan generator is just not desirable any longer.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The inverter units are so quiet, efficient and inexpensive that a built in Onan generator is just not desirable any longer.
    Don't take this wrong but that is a totally inaccurate statement. As I, for one, just stated, I would never go back to hauling around portable units. Each of us have different priorities and ours are not the same.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I appreciate the thoughts and am becoming more encouraged to jump on the propane train. Regarding the comment about the 2930 being too small, they do offer it (and I ordered it) with a generator prep. I haven't measured the actual size (will do so soon, though) but from what I've seen of generators, I'd be surprised that it wouldn't fit a 5.5 Onan propane version in that front locker. And the Grand Design site offers the 5.5kW version as an option for both Solitude and S-Class. Am I missing something here? Also, those tanks are 30 pounders, right? So I have about 7 gallons of propane per tank when full. The generator claims 0.8gal of propane per hour at half load and my primary use is to air condition the coach when I'm in it during the day.

Again, thanks everyone for your responses.
    Mike & Gina
    w/Three Furry Friends
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Solitude S-Class 2930RL

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should also be able to fit 40 pound LP bottles and keep the 30's as backup, that's what I do. My 5500 Onan will run from dusk to dawn on one 40 pound bottle running the A/C and TV and lights and I have several 30 pound bottles as backup. Propane is so clean and quiet.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an onan 5500 watt quiet diesel, I got it used and made some repairs to it, so I have a very small investment in it. If I needed a new gen set I would probably replace it with the same. I opted to put the gen set in the bed of my truck in front of my fifth wheel hitch since I already have a 60 gallon fuel tank. I plumbed the gen set in directly to the fuel tank, so I can run it a looooooong time. I have it wired for 220 volts and even though it is only capable of around 25 amps per leg, I have no issues with running both a/c's in hot weather. To put it in perspective, my 3500 watt Honda EX gas generator would trip the 29 amp main breaker running only 1 a/c unit and I had to turn off the power converter to be able to run the a/c without tripping the breaker in Denver when I picked up my 310gk. This being said, I don't think I would put the diesel unit in the front storage area. To hard to get to to service it. Before I had the Solitude, I had the Onan mounted on a custom platform on the rear of my Holiday Rambler Alumascape. I had a 6 gallon outboard motor fuel tank and carried extra 5 gallon fuel cans. You can run red off road fuel in the diesel generator too. The Onan is very quiet and I have run it down to -10F without issues with treated fuel and synthetic oil.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Nuffsaid and Txfivver, for your responses. This forum is great! I really appreciate the help.
    Mike & Gina
    w/Three Furry Friends
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Solitude S-Class 2930RL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast