Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor heating and other concerns

Hey there.
    This is a brand new trailer with one trip under its belt. After the first night I found out that I have very little or almost no heat coming out of my vent in the bunk house in my Reflection 150 series 290BH.
    Scary part The bathroom sink vanity bottom shelf gets EXTREMELY hot to touch, the sink, plumbing/drain, water supply lines and even the shower pan floor and drain get hot.
    After some inspection I notice the there is no duct connection from main duct to the 3” vent cover under vanity toe kick. It just blows into the cabinet space.
    I took a cover off in the storage area behind the water control system, I did see a kink on one of the flex lines.

Also from the sound of it, the return seems to be sucking all the air out the main living area and the one one in the bathroom floor doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Am I suppose to see the water lines and what not looking through the register? Didn't really do any more inspection after that. Really, Just not happy with the duct work quality and air flow after all the hype dealer gave me about these trailers.

Please tell me this isn't normal.
    Already contact the dealer ship to get in to get this fixed

Edit, please move to 5th wheel
    Last edited by Andrepdx; 01-16-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pictures would be helpful for those of us who are unfamiliar with that model. I've read instances of the ducting to a room being held on with tape only. I wonder if you have the same situation and the ducting needs to be reattached. If it's accessible , might be an easy fix. It doesn't sound like it's working the way it should.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ducts or the sheet metal "plenum" they mount to on the back of the heater have been known to come off. This could also account for things located over the heater getting hot. As FT4NOW said, the heater is accessible by removing the panel at the back of the basement storage area.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Reflection 312 BHTS, 2018. We have noticed that the bunk room stays about 10 to 20 degrees colder. Why is this?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called around couple of places and could not get anything sooner then early Feb and they want it for maybe 14 days. as it is the season in the desert and We are leaving for a 4 day trip for presidents day. I have to wait untill we come back.
    So, I decided to take a peak at what could be wrong prior the trip.
    Took off the bench Plywood to get to the vent in the bunk room to discover the flex duct was Barely hanging on to the vent. I don't know who or why, but the flex is held in by 3 screws vs foil duct tape. IF it was rigid I wouldn't say anything , but the soft flex was pretty much hanging by a thread. Also, the 50 amp power cord is pinching the duct. I will be asking them to run the electrical in a separate hole. Would have been easy at the factory to drill 3/4" hole. Here is a pic.

Thought that was it. Nope.
    Crawled into the storage, where the heater is and upon closer inspection I saw two duct lines pinched. One was better than the other but both Unacceptable.. I don't how this passed Quality control. One line completely pinched off and the wire coil wrap is disconnected to where the duct wants to fall upon in self. Tried to straighten it out the best I could but the air flow in the bunk room is still poor. Maybe a hair better, but still poor after what I just fixed. All the things I am finding with the poor ducting, I wouldn't be surprised if it is pinched or disconnected somewhere.
    I will be asking for a whole new line or lines.

Last edited by Andrepdx; 01-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, Short bed (6'4") all stock but 285/75/18
    2018 GD Reflection 150 series 290 BH
    Anderson ultimate 5th wheel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to look at the situation at under the sink.
    Took the vent cover off under the vanity and saw that its just a hole from the plume into the cabinet and it also goes into the master and bathroom. there was Loose foil duct tape, saw dust and the filler piece in the cabinet between the water supply lines/drain is poor so the air just flows where it wants. I also noticed the same plume in the storage just dives into a wall and is not sealed shut.

I dont know if our heater has a air filter or what but There is saw dust all over the place next to the return.
    For as much as they Bragg about their duct work vs traditional in the floor, this is a Joke. I'm not happy or Impressed.
    I will give Grand Design a chance make it right, but who ever does the repair better be on top of their game as I will take things apart to inspect.
    I will not accept this.
    Last edited by Andrepdx; 01-28-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Andrepdx! I hope you get this repaired to your satisfaction. These things get past QC because the inspection takes place after the trailer is finished and they can't see this stuff. I think they turn the furnace on and if it makes noise it passes. I found similar issues with the heat ducts and spent hours rectifying the situation.
    It's really too bad this stuff is allowed to occur. I would go to Grand Design's website and click on "Owner Support", then "Service and Warranty". You'll see a contact us section. Tell them your story and offer to send photos. I have gotten responses from GD in as little as an hour using this. Maybe they'll pay a mobile service to come out and make you a satisfied customer. After all, customer service is a big reason we went with Grand Design.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plz keep us posted I would like to know what GD says of this.
    2018 GD 2800BH
    2005 Tundra, 2010 sequoia
    Wife & 2 kids

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Wrote them on Monday. they replied immediately wanting the last 8 of my VIN. Thursday came around and wrote them email that I have not heard back and I got a basic reply to call a number or disregard if I have been contacted. Obviously I would not have emailed you if I was contacted.
    I called first thing friday and Got hold of NW region warranty guy and he pretty much told me to find any repair shop and they will work with them to get this resolved. I asked for my rep to call me but never heard back.
    Told him that me and others are having poor heating vent flow and to get their QC in check

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrepdx View Post
    So, Wrote them on Monday. they replied immediately wanting the last 8 of my VIN.
    Thursday came around and wrote them email that I have not heard back and I got a basic reply to call a number or disregard if I have been contacted.
    Obviously I would not have emailed you if I was contacted.
    I called first thing friday and Got hold of NW region warranty guy and he pretty much told me to find any repair shop and they will work with them to get this resolved.
    I asked for my rep to call me but never heard back.
    Told him that me and others are having poor heating vent flow and to get their QC in check
    Well, at least I know I'm not the only 150-series owner that has a 5th wheel that was built by blind monkeys.
    I too have discovered GD's customer service line is pretty much useless, takes them a week to return a phone call or an email.
    I'm starting to think we should have gone with our first choice, an Arctic Fox 27-5L.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast