User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on the Westlake ST235-80-16R, Load range G

Hi Folks, our new to us Solitude 310GK came with the Westlake ST235-80-16R, Load range G tires. I'm not familiar with this tire and looking for opinions; ie, are these considered China Bombs?

The tires probably have less than a 1,000 miles on them and look great. If I replace them I would probably for with the Sailuns, BFG, or Michelin XPS Rib, or some other quality tire.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3rd View Post
    Hi Folks, our new to us Solitude 310GK came with the Westlake ST235-80-16R, Load range G tires. I'm not familiar with this tire and looking for opinions; ie, are these considered China Bombs?

The tires probably have less than a 1,000 miles on them and look great. If I replace them I would probably for with the Sailuns, BFG, or Michelin XPS Rib, or some other quality tire.
    I have seen a lot of good reports on this and another Grand Design forum about these tires. I am sure others will chime in but based on what I have read they are a good tire and not considered a "China Bomb".

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3rd View Post

I believe it is the LR E tires that have a bad rap. From what I hear the G rated have been mostly reliable. I changed mine out after a year & a half with the Sailuns, then sold the WL's for $200. Have/had no problems with either.
    Use the search button & you can read about WL, GY, Sailuns-good & bad for days.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have presented a great question. I have a new Solitude 310GK delivered in December 2021 with the Westlake STE235-80-16R, Load range G tires. I have heard that these are considered China Bombs. (They were stamped made in Thailand.) I looked at Goodyear Endurance tires yesterday and while same size, they were Load range E tires. I don't believe that Endurance comes in Load Range G. Not sure what to do. I feel that I am stepping down. Goodyear has recommended moving to a commercial tire to maintain the Load Range G. I have heard the new Solitudes are using Endurance now. (Not confirmed)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info. Thanks.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The load range "G" Westlake tires are a good tire. The load range "E" is the ones that all the issues are with. I'm not saying that you will never have an issue with the G rated tire, but then I have to say the same exact thing about ANY tire....Stick with the Westlake "G" rated and save yourself some $$$ I run them on my trailer, as many others do, and I have a 20,000 lb GVWR trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran the same tires 20k miles / + 30 months. They did fine , never lost air , and were wearing ok. Actually still had plenty of tread life left when I pulled the trigger on a set of Sailuns to replace them. We’re in central Texas , so most of our trips are at least 1k miles one way. Gotta get out of state to escape the heat. I just replaced them for my own peace of mind.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep the Westlakes until it's time to replace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run the westlake g’s for over 3 yrs on our triple axle with no issues. I plan on switching them out after year 5 and will probably put on sailuns
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear, thanks Clanker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast