User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb bought a 31MB and Lion Energy UT 1300. Can I plug and play?

�� Hi there. Freshie here, posting for the first time.

Fam of 5, never RV'd together (wife did with her fam when she was little, 30 years ago). Really no clue what we're doing but happy and ignorant.

We bought a used (100% stock) 2021 Reflection 31MB with a dead lead acid battery and other small tweaks to do on it. We plan on going full time in Dec (2021) so we are prepping for loving every minute of it and RV'ing our faces off. Ergo, we bought a Lion Energy 1300 lithium to replace the almost dead lead acid right out of the gate.

Thing is, now that I've bought it and just researching how to install it (yes, after I bought it, because sometimes I'm dumb like that) I keep seeing people talk about upgrading the factory converter and installing a 12v DC-DC battery charger, etc.

Here's what I've gathered so far, and please tell me if I'm wrong with any of these learnings:

1. The upgraded converter is to allow the lithium to charge up to 100%. As-is, the factory converter will leave the lithium at 65-75% charged. We could just swap the lead acid for the lithium and the only thing we'd lose is the 25-35% top up on the lithium. It's not like we'd be endangering the life of the battery (at least for the next 6 months or so), right?
    2. The DC-DC battery charger is for charging while we're driving. If we're only hooking up to shore power for the first few months, there's no need to get/install one at this point in time, right?

So here's the (what I hope is) simple question....

Can I just replace the lead acid with the lithium straight up without any additional concerns if we're ok with not charging the battery to 100% (shore power won't even charge it all the way up because of the factory converter, right?) and we're ok with not charging the battery while driving?

Will we be ruining the life of the battery or putting any other part of the electrical system at risk? Are there any other things I need to be concerned about before just swapping them and doing nothing else?

Thanks for having a forum like this where newbs like me feel safe even asking these types of questions.

Cheers.
    Last edited by nateritter; 06-23-2021 at 12:48 AM. Reason: adding Q about shore power
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, congrats and welcome to the group. Yahoo, from zero to full-time. All in. Great for you. You'll be making some great memories.
    To answer your questions is yes and yes.
    The lifepo4 should go up to 80 or 90% on the oem charger and no harm to it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! And thank you!

Really appreciate the confirmation here.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5