User Tag List

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom heat vent

2017 Reflection 303rls. In a recent trip, I was checking out the function of the heater. I happened to check in the bathroom behind the toilet, and felt no airflow. Looking closer, I noticed there is no duct attached to the vent opening, as I can see the plumbing below the vent. I assumed it may have fallen off while traveling. This morning I opened the access panel in the basement and found there is no duct for that vent. Is this correct, is there supposed to be no duct there? What is the function of this vent if it has no duct supplying heated air the that vent?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the return air for the furnace. Supposed to be like that.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat for the bathroom is the 2" round outlet in the toe kick of the vanity.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member Jerry & Barbara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answer. That is what I needed to know.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an older post, but I too discovered that the vent behind the toilet is return air. Either that or they never connected a duct to it! I also discovered the 2" vent by the end of the vanity. If you wait long enough you can feel a whisper of warm air coming out-maybe 2 or 3 CFM!-(lol)
    I recently had an issue with a leak in my water heater outlet that was resolved by a tech by replacing the leaky plastic fitting with a brass one. When looking around to clean up water from that, I saw a puddle directly below the return air duct, which I first thought had come from the water heater, but after the water heater was fixed I saw water there again a few days later, further inspection turned up water dripping off of the 90 degree fitting on the cold water supply hose going into the back of the toilet!
    I've been carefully tightening the fitting hoping it won't re-occur, but randomly it appears. I put a small towel over the vent with a piece of toilet paper over it. This keeps the water from dripping down below, and at a glance I can see if the paper has gotten wet. Could this have anything to do with my Maxxair fan turning on and off by itself during this time? Strange!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    Could this have anything to do with my Maxxair fan turning on and off by itself during this time? Strange!
    Here's a lucky find, one of the first results of a Google search. It COULD be that moisture being retained in the bathroom by your blocking the air return is condensing in the fan assembly and causing the erratic behavior you're seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkIDSVldJis

As for the toilet water supply leak at the root of it all, is there a chance that it's not the fitting being too loose but the connection to the soft hose that is leaking? A pleasant interval lying with your head beside the leak - or putting your cell phone video camera there - may reveal that the soft hose connection is leaking - they are infamous for that.

If that's the problem, you may be able to trim the end of the hose and reinstall it with a HOSE CLAMP, not another PEX clamp, as a stop-gap. However the permanent fix is to replace the soft hose with proper PEX pipe and clamps.

If it is indeed the 90-degree fitting that's leaking, replacing it is better than just screwing it ever harder into the toilet.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Boyscout,

Thanks for your thorough reply. I didn't suspect the blue hose connection-I'll keep an eye out for that with my toilet paper leak detection method.
    The Maxxair fan is in the kitchen-sorry I was being a half sarcastic about there being a link between both occurrences. You're suggestion to replace the 90 is one I'll gladly take. I've been very gentle in tightening it, but I don't know if that's going to help.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    Hi Boyscout, Thanks for your thorough reply. I didn't suspect the blue hose connection-I'll keep an eye out for that with my toilet paper leak detection method. The Maxxair fan is in the kitchen-sorry I was being a half sarcastic about there being a link between both occurrences. You're suggestion to replace the 90 is one I'll gladly take. I've been very gentle in tightening it, but I don't know if that's going to help.
    Good luck.

A tip about using this forum: it's nearly always best when replying to a specific post or person to click on the "Reply With Quote" link that appears at the bottom of every message. That copies the text you're responding to into your reply (see yours above) which improves context for people reading it later, and it also posts an alert to the person/message you're responding to so that they'll be aware of it and return to this thread to see your response.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The heat for the bathroom is the 2" round outlet in the toe kick of the vanity.

Rob
    That 2 inch round heater vent in the bathroom vanity probably is not directly connected to the plenum under the floor. Check out this picture from another owner of a 290bh. Just a hole in the floor under the vanity to feed two vents. He installed a real duct to the bedroom vent and skipped the bathroom vent. I did the same thing and it really helped. I'd bet every model with a vent in the vanity is built like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210503-181515_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	33878