User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size generator do I need?

We’re going to the keys at the end of May and we’re going to make it a 2 day trip down. We are going to need a generator that will run the a/c and microwave. Just not sure what size to get? If we need to we can cut off the a/c to run the microwave. We are pulling a 2020 Imagine 2600rb 30 amp. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suber81083 View Post
    We’re going to the keys at the end of May and we’re going to make it a 2 day trip down. We are going to need a generator that will run the a/c and microwave. Just not sure what size to get? If we need to we can cut off the a/c to run the microwave. We are pulling a 2020 Imagine 2600rb 30 amp. Thank you!

If you have a soft start on the AC, a 2000 watt inverter/generator should do just fine. You will need to turn off the AC to run the microwave.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok how do I know if I have a soft start a/c?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are an after market thing. You don’t have one

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would have to get in the roof and take the cover off the AC unit. If there is an acrylic box instead of a capacitor, you have the soft start. Google Soft Start AC unit. They sell for about $300.00. What the unit does is ramp up the power slowly instead of hitting it hard when the compressor kicks on. If you have great hearing, you can probably tell by listening, you won't hear the "thump" of the compressor kicking on if you have a soft start conversion.

There is also something called a hard start capacitor, it is a much larger size (in farads) capacitor than what normally comes with the AC units, and works along the same lines. They run about $200.00, I think.

Either option is good. Both prevent a large power hit when the compressor kicks on.

I know with my 2021 320MKS, it came with the hard start capacitor from Grand Design.

Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 03-29-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I know I can run my a/c off my house without a 30 amp plug. So I might already have one on mine. I’ll try to pull the cover off today. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You would have to get in the roof and take the cover off the AC unit. If there is an acrylic box instead of a capacitor, you have the soft start. Google Soft Start AC unit. They sell for about $300.00. What the unit does is ramp up the power slowly instead of hitting it hard when the compressor kicks on. If you have great hearing, you can probably tell by listening, you won't hear the "thump" of the compressor kicking on if you have a soft start conversion.

There is also something called a hard start capacitor, it is a much larger size (in farads) capacitor than what normally comes with the AC units, and works along the same lines. They run about $200.00, I think.

Either option is good. Both prevent a large power hit when the compressor kicks on.

I know with my 2021 320MKS, it came with the hard start capacitor from Grand Design.

I am pretty sure that you are way off on the price of the Hard start capacitor.
    I think it is in the $20-$40 range. It is often called a soft start kit. It stores electricity so it is available for the surge the compressor needs when starting. What you call a soft start kit is actually called an Easy start. It has some additional electronics in it, and is in the 300.00 range
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I know I can run my a/c off my house without a 30 amp plug. So I might already have one on mine. I’ll try to pull the cover off today. Thanks again!

No, that's different. Your house 30 amp will provide continuous power. The inverter/generator motor will stall if the AC compressor kicks on because the wattage will be over what the generator can provide. Most 15K AC units have a peak wattage of the around 3500 watts to start the compressor, and about 1800 watts to run. With the soft start unit, or a hard start capacitor, the wattage is greatly reduced to around 2000-2200 watts to start the compressor. Most inverter/generators have a running wattage and a peak wattage, for instance, a 2000 watt inverter/ generator has a peak of 2200 watts. This means for "momentary" power loaf increase to 2200 watts, the inverter/generator will continue to run, without stalling out.

You will also notice I keep referring to an inverter/generator and not just a generator. This is because an inverter/generator provides a full sine wave rather than a modified sine wave. Most new RVs contain more sensitive electronics than older ones. You said you have a 2020 coach, so it probably has LED lights and the like. Those electronics are more sensitive to modified sine wave properties.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I am pretty sure that you are way off on the price of the Hard start capacitor.
    I think it is in the $20-$40 range. It is often called a soft start kit. It stores electricity so it is available for the surge the compressor needs when starting. What you call a soft start kit is actually called an Easy start. It has some additional electronics in it, and is in the 300.00 range
    That's it! My old 50 year old brain just isn't what it used to be! Easy Start is the device I was talking about!

Ugh! Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    No, that's different. Your house 30 amp will provide continuous power. The inverter/generator motor will stall if the AC compressor kicks on because the wattage will be over what the generator can provide. Most 15K AC units have a peak wattage of the around 3500 watts to start the compressor, and about 1800 watts to run. With the soft start unit, or a hard start capacitor, the wattage is greatly reduced to around 2000-2200 watts to start the compressor. Most inverter/generators have a running wattage and a peak wattage, for instance, a 2000 watt inverter/ generator has a peak of 2200 watts. This means for "momentary" power loaf increase to 2200 watts, the inverter/generator will continue to run, without stalling out.

You will also notice I keep referring to an inverter/generator and not just a generator. This is because an inverter/generator provides a full sine wave rather than a modified sine wave. Most new RVs contain more sensitive electronics than older ones. You said you have a 2020 coach, so it probably has LED lights and the like. Those electronics are more sensitive to modified sine wave properties.

Ok thanks for all the info. So if I get a generator make sure it says inverter/generator? No I do not have a 30AMP plug at my house I adapt it down to a 15 amp(I think) regular wall plug on the outside of my house. What inverter gen do you recommend? Brand that is? Honda, champion, Wen, etc.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast