Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert TPMS or Chevrolet TPMS?

Hi All-

I purchased a 2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD which came with trailer TPMS. I'm also purchasing a Reflection 31MB which will come with the Lippert TPMS. My question is, is there any reason NOT to use the Chevrolet one as it would integrate with the truck console? Reducing the number of additional interfaces sure seems appealing. Anybody have a POV or experience with both?

Thanks!
    Ted.
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD SRV 6.6 Gas
    2021 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDog View Post
    Hi All-

I purchased a 2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD which came with trailer TPMS. I'm also purchasing a Reflection 31MB which will come with the Lippert TPMS. My question is, is there any reason NOT to use the Chevrolet one as it would integrate with the truck console? Reducing the number of additional interfaces sure seems appealing. Anybody have a POV or experience with both?

Thanks!
    Ted.
    No experience but the Lippert system is simple to set up although does not have a dedicated screen
    Would you not have to remove and breakdown each tire to install the GM system?
    If you do have to tear down the wheels I would lean toward the Lippert

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search around for this topic, there are 2 or 3 recent threads.
    I'm same situation with a new '21 Sliverado.
    The problem you are very likely to run into is two-fold:
    1. The valve stems on the OEM sensors are smaller than the standard stems on most rig wheels. You can swap them out, but this is extra work and extra point of failure if you don't know what you're doing. Of course, then you still need to take the rig to a tire shop and have them pull all the wheels and do the install for you, then they still might not work because:
    2. Depending on your wheels & tires, Chevy OEM TPMS sensors very likely top out at 99psi. So, for example, my 310 with the Cooper H rated tires runs at a whopping 125 psi.

It's not that you can't do it, but do you want the headaches of modifying the OEM sensors to fit the rig wheels, and then maybe not even work as your cold PSI might be too much for the sensors to handle?
    The Lipppert system has issues of its own, main one being lack of a trustworthy warning system when you lose air from a tire.

I'm going after-market with one of these and will pull out the Lippert docking station and use that power line for my booster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Additon: I have heard about the 99psi max, but not confirmed, so that's a maybe not a definite. I decided it was too much headache so stopped investigating once I heard about the stem size and install issue. Way easier for me to just use an aftermarket unit. Yes, it has an extra component, but it does what I need it to do - real-time monitoring with an obvious warning if something goes wrong.
    Last edited by JM0397; 03-29-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I like to monitor my pressure & tire temps and don't want to take up a screen or my phone to do so. I've used Tireminder and TST and prefer the later (with the color screen).
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap, misfire on the above linked unit.
    Pressure monitoring range is 12-87 psi.
    Falls just a little short of the 125.
    Maybe calling Lionshead wheels and asking what they recommend is a good vit or research to do.
    Returning this unit and maybe will look at the Lippert unit again, since the docking station is already installed on the rig.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Crap, misfire on the above linked unit.
    Pressure monitoring range is 12-87 psi.
    Falls just a little short of the 125.
    Maybe calling Lionshead wheels and asking what they recommend is a good vit or research to do.
    Returning this unit and maybe will look at the Lippert unit again, since the docking station is already installed on the rig.
    I went with the TIre Traker 600. Dedicated monitor. Temps and pressures up to 232 psi
    Lightweight sensors with lifetime warranty
    Kit with a spare sensor only 235.00

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDog View Post
    Hi All-

Thanks!
    Ted.
    Our 31MB had standard stem size that matched OEM sensors (bought modified stems thinking they would need it but tire shop used oem stems). Seems the heavier rated trailers/higher rated tires have the larger valve stem hole. Never installed Lippert option and sold it. I had oem sensors installed at local tire shop and can keep psi/temps on the trailering screen the whole time. Over 1000mi towing on our setup now without any issues, glad I went this route. May be a pain to pull tires and get installed compared to just a exterior valve stem option install, but removes the need for the additional interface you could avoid.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynn1427 View Post
    Our 31MB had standard stem size that matched OEM sensors (bought modified stems thinking they would need it but tire shop used oem stems). Seems the heavier rated trailers/higher rated tires have the larger valve stem hole. Never installed Lippert option and sold it. I had oem sensors installed at local tire shop and can keep psi/temps on the trailering screen the whole time. Over 1000mi towing on our setup now without any issues, glad I went this route. May be a pain to pull tires and get installed compared to just a exterior valve stem option install, but removes the need for the additional interface you could avoid.
    What’s the PSI you run on the rig tires, is it over 100 and can you confirm the OEM sensors work that high?
    Thanks!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    What’s the PSI you run on the rig tires, is it over 100 and can you confirm the OEM sensors work that high?
    Thanks!
    Dealer had them at 80psi, when I installed sensors dropped down to ~75psi since they didn't get the nitrogen fill and wanted to give them some more room to fluctuate up. Last trip didn't see over 88psi so I can't confirm how high oem sensors will read. After coming across this thread, I could probably run them lower in the 60's just based on trailer GVWR and what the tread wear shows over the next year. Ours came with Goodyear ST235/80R16 but not sure what tire the Solitude comes with, but seems everyone runs them over 100psi.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynn1427 View Post
    Dealer had them at 80psi, when I installed sensors dropped down to ~75psi since they didn't get the nitrogen fill and wanted to give them some more room to fluctuate up. Last trip didn't see over 88psi so I can't confirm how high oem sensors will read. After coming across this thread, I could probably run them lower in the 60's just based on trailer GVWR and what the tread wear shows over the next year. Ours came with Goodyear ST235/80R16 but not sure what tire the Solitude comes with, but seems everyone runs them over 100psi.
    Do not lower your pressures.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast