User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFCI red flashing light and amber light? Converter issue?

Hey everyone,

I tried looking in this forum for answers to the below, also looked at the manual (which has no references to anything beyond “here’s how to reset a GFCI” and “don’t touch the converter”), and even called my dealer who had no information.

My dealer has dump stations and 30 amp pedestals on site for use during their off hours. I was there on Sunday de-winterizing my 2021 Imagine 2400BH and doing some work and had plugged into the 30 amp without issue. As it usually happens, the TCL tv turns on automatically when plugged into shore power etc and all worked appropriately and were turned off. A few hours in, and after having used the water pump to bleed off sanitizer from my lines, I walked inside and noticed my battery level was dropping from full to 3/4 and then to 1/2 while I was standing there. Also noticed that the white standby light wasn’t on at the bottom of the TCL tv, so I figured the outlet went out there (after verifying I still had 30a power from the pedestal). I verified that the microwave was on and the radio turned on and functioned appropriately - so some of the 30a was still coming in. Coach lights remained strong so DC was functioning to some degree still too.

I went to the bathroom and noted the GFCI had an amber light on. I went to reset and nothing happened. I clicked test on the outlet and then got a red light that began blinking along with the steady amber. Still wouldn’t reset though. Finally, I changed electrical pedestals and with the new pedestal I was able to reset the bathroom GFCI (both red and amber turned off) and the tv turned back on and the coach battery level immediately increased.

So - here’s my questions:
    1. What do the amber and red lights on the GFCI mean? The dealer had no idea.
    2. Would the converter that would charge the batteries be on the GFCI circuit?
    3. Any indications that my converter is going out? I sure hope not. Have a trip planned this weekend to start the season and the dealer is backed up 6 weeks for service work.

Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use an EMS? It sounds to me like the pedestal wasnt properly wired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sounds like something is off in the first pedestal.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Do you use an EMS? It sounds to me like the pedestal wasnt properly wired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nope, no EMS installed. I don’t think one is stock on the 2400BH.

Think there’s any worry to damage to the components or converter?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDIrishLacrosse View Post
    Hey everyone,

I tried looking in this forum for answers to the below, also looked at the manual (which has no references to anything beyond “here’s how to reset a GFCI” and “don’t touch the converter”), and even called my dealer who had no information.

My dealer has dump stations and 30 amp pedestals on site for use during their off hours. I was there on Sunday de-winterizing my 2021 Imagine 2400BH and doing some work and had plugged into the 30 amp without issue. As it usually happens, the TCL tv turns on automatically when plugged into shore power etc and all worked appropriately and were turned off. A few hours in, and after having used the water pump to bleed off sanitizer from my lines, I walked inside and noticed my battery level was dropping from full to 3/4 and then to 1/2 while I was standing there. Also noticed that the white standby light wasn’t on at the bottom of the TCL tv, so I figured the outlet went out there (after verifying I still had 30a power from the pedestal). I verified that the microwave was on and the radio turned on and functioned appropriately - so some of the 30a was still coming in. Coach lights remained strong so DC was functioning to some degree still too.

I went to the bathroom and noted the GFCI had an amber light on. I went to reset and nothing happened. I clicked test on the outlet and then got a red light that began blinking along with the steady amber. Still wouldn’t reset though. Finally, I changed electrical pedestals and with the new pedestal I was able to reset the bathroom GFCI (both red and amber turned off) and the tv turned back on and the coach battery level immediately increased.

3. Any indications that my converter is going out? I sure hope not. Have a trip planned this weekend to start the season and the dealer is backed up 6 weeks for service work.

Any help is appreciated!
    the red and yellow lights indicate a problem with that circuit, just google it for an explanation. Is the converter plugged in on that circuit? maybe, Got a meter? Put it on the battery terminals and see if you have at least 13VDC. If you do the converter is working, then manually trip that same GFCI plug, if the battery voltage goes down to 12 or below VDC then yes that GFCI circuit was feeding the converter. But you'll be fine, changing to another power pedestal solved your problem and now everything is working.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    the red and yellow lights indicate a problem with that circuit, just google it for an explanation. Is the converter plugged in on that circuit? maybe, Got a meter? Put it on the battery terminals and see if you have at least 13VDC. If you do the converter is working, then manually trip that same GFCI plug, if the battery voltage goes down to 12 or below VDC then yes that GFCI circuit was feeding the converter. But you'll be fine, changing to another power pedestal solved your problem and now everything is working.
    Great troubleshooting idea. Kicking myself for not thinking of it! Thanks for the input.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDIrishLacrosse View Post
    Hey everyone,

Any help is appreciated!
    Depending if your trailer is 30 amp or 50 amp get one of these. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ Save my bacon more than once with faulty wiring at a pedestal. I even fixed one for an RV park once. It checks the pedestal wiring and power before it gets to the trailer. A must have in my opinion.

Be sure to tell the dealer of the issue. A miss wired pedestal can cause major damage.

It really helps if you set up a signature block with the trailer and tow vehicle information.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Depending if your trailer is 30 amp or 50 amp get one of these. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ Save my bacon more than once with faulty wiring at a pedestal. I even fixed one for an RV park once. It checks the pedestal wiring and power before it gets to the trailer. A must have in my opinion.

Be sure to tell the dealer of the issue. A miss wired pedestal can cause major damage.

It really helps if you set up a signature block with the trailer and tow vehicle information.
    Yup I got one. Silly me for thinking the dealer would be taking care of the pedestals that they sit their own trailers at for customers. Lesson learned!

Will do on a signature. Looks like that portion of the site is down right now as it is opening just to a blank page currently.